What licks or songs do you play to test it out? When I test them out, I play cocaine and smells like teen spirit.
I play the solo to smells like teen spirit, the main riff to beat it, godzilla (gotta love the classics), stairway to heaven and sweet child of mine intro.
I am a bit too in love with my Gibson Les Paul Studio

“My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die.” ~Bob Marley

I play stuff off the top of my head that has no name but sounds damn good.
Quote by DarkN00b
I play stuff off the top of my head that has no name but sounds damn good.

+1

but unfortuntely its metallica and i get glared at...oh well
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
Smoke on the water, mast of puppets, fade to black solo, sails of charon solo... then eugines trick bag
normally, it'll be something I wrote myself or some improv.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by LifeGibsonFire
I play the solo to smells like teen spirit, the main riff to beat it, godzilla (gotta love the classics), stairway to heaven and sweet child of mine intro.

You've never seen Waynes World.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
i usually play the solo and fills to alter bridge's blackbird. when im testing out sound, no matter what riff i play, i play the same riff over and over so i can really A-B sounds in my head.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by LifeGibsonFire

Denied!

Anyway, usually I either improvise it or play an original song that I don't have any guidelines other than "Has to feel good" as to how to play, so that I don't try and suppress how I play on the instrument to fit the song. You oftentimes play differently depending on the sound and feel, and taking a strictly practiced, set-in-stone bit as what to practice loses the ability to pick those intricacies that make a truly good guitar good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by LifeGibsonFire

God I wish the pear wasn't bannable.
i play the theme song to Pokemon like any normal person...

no seriously. i just play whatever comes to me. Either improv or something that i wrote. I try to avoid playing any songs that aren't my own because i just feel stupid doing that unless i get a request by a friend or something
I usually attemp to do some Hendrix stuff. Mainly because I want my guitars to be able to play that kinda stuff. So usually parts of Redhouse, and Little Wing.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I play something that won't get me hit with a Les Paul.

this.

I am usually the guy doing the hitting with the les paul I am trying out.

Just no Van Halen please.
Technical Difficulties - Racer X
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I just play what I'm going to play at home. Makes sense to me
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Satch Boogie :P Not the whole thing , im not that god :P
Lamb of God 'chugging' stuff is always good aswell as its up and down the neck alot , can test out the action etc
Improvise?
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Ital_Stal
Smoke on the water, mast of puppets, fade to black solo, sails of charon solo... then eugines trick bag

I love you

Hahah, I play whatever comes to my head, but since thats just some stupid pentatonic bends and crap, I'll usually revert to the "If it was on Guitar Hero, or Rock Band, I'm not aloud to play it in public" rule, because I find that some people who work at those stores look for things like that, and will try to play you like a fool and get you to buy crappy things, like a Marshall MG, or something.
I am a Stephenist
Just since I feel this may be a good topic to ask, as long as we're on a somewhat similar subject, why is it every single guitar I pick up at GC that hasn't been touched in the last hour(Including a Jazz hollowbody and a Gretsch that's about as at home on that kind of tuning as I am in Spain) is drop-tuned to some asinine note? Drop D I like, and I can see the use of some drop tunings, but Drop Cb? Drop F? Hell, I even once found one in Drop E, isn't there a point where you just go "This is stupid" and try a 7-string instead?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I hear you necrosis, its like that at my local music store. All those darn 'the-lower-the-better' fanboys methinks...

Anyway, i play whatever comes into my head. Along as its nothing super-cheesey (stairway, smoke on the water etc)
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by Quaned
Technical Difficulties - Racer X

I hate you people

Good song though. You can probably make all the new kids feel like shit
I tend to impro a selection of chords, barre chords, scales, licks and a bit of tapping. I tend to try a variety of the styles i play to make sure it's 'compatible' with me.

I found i got a very skewed view on a guitar if i went and played a known guitar piece, i'd get an impression of that guitar for that piece but often those pieces don't correlate to the range of stuff i play so i just go and have a private jam.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I play what ever pops into my head but mostly I make up stuff as I go I do my own sols etc. I try to do as much stuff as I can all over the fret board to get a feel for the guitar. A lot of the time people will ask me what song are you playing and I just shrug my shoulders and say it's just something I made up.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I play what ever pops into my head but mostly I make up stuff as I go I do my own sols etc. I try to do as much stuff as I can all over the fret board to get a feel for the guitar. A lot of the time people will ask me what song are you playing and I just shrug my shoulders and say it's just something I made up.

John

You should do that with Stairway to Heaven. If someone asks you what song it is, just be like, "Something that I just wrote, like RIGHT NOW, in my head."