I haven't been playing guitar too long now and looking to buy and amp, i listing to a lot of alt/rock and was wondering if any of you guys have any insight about witch amp i should buy. I have narrowed it down to three amps. Any of you guys have an opinion about these amp models?

Line 6 Spider IV 120

Vox Valvetronix VT100

Marshall MG102
Vox.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
definitely vox... I never played the 100, but the 50 and 30 are both sweet
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
The only one there that isn't absolute crap is the Vox. Although that said, the VT series are best as practice amps - there are much much better gigging amps out there for your price range.

What styles are you playing and what's your budget?
Vox, no contest. I've played a fair share of VTs at Best Buy and they're sweet amps.

As for the other two, the only good Spiders are the Spider Valves and the only good MGs are the lower wattage ones.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Quote by kyle62
The only one there that isn't absolute crap is the Vox. Although that said, the VT series are best as practice amps - there are much much better gigging amps out there for your price range.

What styles are you playing and what's your budget?

He answered the styles part in his first post, as for his budget, we have no idea. C'mon TS, how much are you willing to spend? Tell us, then we'll be able to help you broaden your horizons.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jan 4, 2010,
Why do you want such oversized practice amps?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Im looking to spend around 500 bucks. Still new to guitar so not really sure what size i should be going for but i want something i can grow into and noise isn't and issue.

As far as what i play...just learning the music i listen to, afi, brand new, mcr, alice in chains, billy talent, interpol, muse etc...
Last edited by kennymax89 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by kennymax89
Im looking to spend around 500 bucks. Still new to guitar so not really sure what size i should be going for but i want something i can grow into and noise isn't and issue.

As far as what i play...just learning the music i listen to, afi, brand new, mcr, alice in chains, billy talent, interpol, muse etc...

Have a look at the Bugera V22, it'll suit you very nicely and is overall a much more 'pro' amp than the ones you mentioned (which are basically oversized versions of cheapo little practice amps).
Do not get the Marshall. I have a 15watt one, and it is not good. At all
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Yeah, TS, you could easily get a 15-20 watt tube amp for that price. If you get a half-decent one, then you will definetly be able to grow into it, like you said.

Now, granted, you won't have a bunch of effects. Overdrive comes with any tube amp, quite simply becasue it's tube and that's what tubes do, and maybe reverb, and on a rare occasion you have tremolo built in. So you'll have to get some cheap pedals if you want effects, but you'd like it alot more.

Look into these amps:

Bugera V22 (comes with reverb)
Epiphone Valve Senior (reverb)
Jet City JCA20 half stack or combo (combo has reverb)
Used VOX AC15 (reverb and tremolo)
Used Peavey Classic 30 (reverb)
Used Fender Blues Junior (reverb)

And remember, tube amps will sound MUCH louder than solid state amps, so don't let that deter you (they also sound MUCH better). Just for a reference point, a 30 watt tube amp will have about the same loudness as 75 watts solid state.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I think everyone is pushing him towards something he doesn't need.

kennymax89: An important thing to consider here is that you haven't been playing guitar long. You don't know what sort of tone you're really into. Getting a modeling amp may be the best bet for you right now.

I would recommend a used Line 6 Flextone III. You should be able to find one for around 400 bucks.
^ true.

rethinking it, I'd say get a half decent guitar and a $100 Peavey Vypyr 15. If you end up liking guitar, then get a better amp. If not, you only spent $100 on an amp and you can sell the guitar.

EDIT: Also, as a comment on you asking whether or not the AC15 is worth the price jump, I'd say not because it won't get the tones you want. Maybe Interpol, but that's about it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jan 4, 2010,
I used to own a marshal micro stack and it was garbage, right now i play an epiphone les paul custom
^ so you think you're going to stick with guitar?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
I love playing and i am getting half way decent. I just couldn't get my marshall to sound good, clean sounded like crap and the overdrive was awful, i am not a complete idiot when it comes to guitars but i am still novice
Quote by lkngro
^ true.

rethinking it, I'd say get a half decent guitar and a $100 Peavey Vypyr 15. If you end up liking guitar, then get a better amp. If not, you only spent $100 on an amp and you can sell the guitar.

EDIT: Also, as a comment on you asking whether or not the AC15 is worth the price jump, I'd say not because it won't get the tones you want. Maybe Interpol, but that's about it.

+1 to the Vypyr.

Although TS, I would recommend getting the 30W Vypyr and and the Sanpera 2 footswitch. Both of those together fall within your budget at around $400, and you'd have an extra $100 left over to spend on whatever.
Quote by Kikuta

Well, that Marshall Microstack is garbage, that's why you couldn't get a good tone out of it!

Take a look at the Flextone III, it's a great amp, that will still be big enough for you if you join a band.
My friend got one for 250. I don't expect you to have the same kind of luck, but they usually go for less than 400 dollars on eBay and craigslist.
if i wanted too i can pull some money out of savings and get the felxtone brand new for 699 no problem, the presets would be nice to toy with.
blues junior?
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by kennymax89
Vypyr Tube?

I've heard good things about them- I was going to try it at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago but those bastards didn't have it plugged into the main power.

If that's what you'd like, I say go for it, but since the 60W model is $450, you may want to tack another $100 onto your budget if you want to also get the Sanpera 1 footswitch to control the features on the amp with.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE tubes, (I've been wanting a tube amp myself for quite some time now, having tried a handful of them at Guitar Center and Best Buy), but I'd suggest going with the other option I offered. It'll fit your budget better.
Quote by Kikuta

550 for the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and Peavey Sanpera I would be over budget for me
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I always just help myself at GC. Plug in whatever I want, move stuff around....

Now why the hell didn't I think of that?
Quote by Kikuta

Quote by kennymax89
550 for the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and Peavey Sanpera I would be over budget for me

wouldnt be over budget, now would the sanpera 1 be just fine?
Quote by kennymax89
wouldnt be over budget, now would the sanpera 1 be just fine?

Changed your mind suddenly?

I don't see why not (only $50 overbudget, shouldn't be too big of a deal). After seeing a vid on Youtube of them both being demoed, I'm wanting to try it and the Sanpera 2 with the Vypyrs at Guitar Center on my next trip there.

Also if I can find said video I'll post the link here.

Edit: Here it is- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BW2LDc2r_Y
Quote by Kikuta

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by kennymax89
if i wanted too i can pull some money out of savings and get the felxtone brand new for 699 no problem, the presets would be nice to toy with.

Kind of hard to find new when they are discontinued now. Believe me I've tried. I've found some used from $300 to $400. I second this recommendation even if used because these are way better than Vypyrs. If you want something new then by all means, look at the Vypyr tube model. Those original amps you asked about are way too much for too little in that you don't need to pay those prices for high wattage practice amps of that kind even if you are joining a band. I say try the tube Vypyr with the footswitch or find a used Flextone III.