Iv been looking at the POD X3 and i dont understand where it fits in? What does it do exactly, is it just the same as an effects pedal?

Cheers

Josh
its like an effects pedal but it doesnt come with any footswich so it is colled a processor, but you can buy the footswith or buy the x3 live with is a multieffects pedal.
the difference is that this one is bassed on amp simulations and line 6 is the best on this.
its a multifx, put it in front of your amp for various pedal effects/distortion or you can use it via its usb to record directly to your computer using the onboard fx
it gets good reviews and i think brendan small of dethklok uses one, i was looking into getting one myself
Will the sound be affected depending on your amp? If you have a cheap 300 dollar amp compared to a 2000 dollar amp, will there be a differnece in sound? Or is the amp just used to amplify the sound?
Joey Sturgis who produces a lot of hardcore bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, Attack Attack! and Miss May I uses it and I think it sounds phenomenal, honestly.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by imbaguitar
Will the sound be affected depending on your amp? If you have a cheap 300 dollar amp compared to a 2000 dollar amp, will there be a differnece in sound? Or is the amp just used to amplify the sound?

I dont have any personal experience with pods, but from what i understand running one through an amp is a bad idea. However, I have ssen pods create pretty good tones when being played through a computer for recording purposes.
Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWZJEeBxYE
Quote by imbaguitar

Yea i have a peavey XXX 212 which I get a good tone out of also its not a cheap amp, I just dont want 6 different pedals in a loop. I would rather have just one multy effects pedal.
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Joey Sturgis who produces a lot of hardcore bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, Attack Attack! and Miss May I uses it and I think it sounds phenomenal, honestly.

Whats this guy on?
Its ok now dudes, iv just discovered multi effects pedals Thanks for the help
if you want a multi effects pedal thats for putting in front of an amp for effects, i'd look at a different unit, the POD is more for people like me who need an amp sim that can be used for recording without a complicated recording setup.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
IMO the Pod X3 is more along the lines of a pre amp, that's what I use mine for, I feed it straight into the power section of my amp. I use it alot for playing through headphones too.

If your strictly after effects you'd be better off with something like the M9 or M13.
Quote by kyle62
Here's a good tip for guitarists: if you don't know what it does, you probably don't need one (yet).

+1

If you have to ask if you need one or if you have to ask what it can do, you're wasting time and money.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
@nutinpwnsgibson
Whats your opinion of the tone of the pod? I've been looking for ''tone upgrade'' from my roland microcube. Just wondering if this would be worth it.
Quote by imbaguitar
You can put the Pod in front of an amp and the amp you use will affect the tone. You can also run the Pod into a PA, or record direct into a computer.

Most multifx have amp/cab sims and are designed to run into guitar amps, PAs, or direct. If you set up your tones on one guitar amp it will sound a bit different on another. That's one reason why presets often sound bad. You need to tweak the unit for your specific setup. Not always an easy job when there are lots of parameters. I'm forever tweaking on mine. A setting will often sound significantly different when you switch guitars (especially between SC and HB pups). Separate pedals are much simpler.
I've made killer tones (using an XT Live) that sounded amazing through my headphones late at night, and loaded it up the next day through my amp (Valveking 100 running though a Bugera 4x12) and it sounded like shit. I tend to not upload my tones to their website to share because of this.

So now I have tones specific for my headphones and tones tailored to my amp basically.

The bottom line is these things have what seems like a limitless range of tones you can achieve, but you usually end up using a few effects and almost negate the necessity of having it in the first place. But for 400$, you end up with a lot of toys to play with, where most standalone pedals run for 80-100$ anyway. You really can't go wrong I guess.
Quote by peacemaker898
People put them in front of amps? I always thought it was a rack unit that did what Guitar Rig does, just an amp sim type thing.

Well, it's got amp sims and multi-effects. When people put them in front of amps, the amp is typically just being used as an overgrown power amp. I don't know anyone who combines distorted amp models from a POD with distortion from a real amp.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Well, it's got amp sims and multi-effects. When people put them in front of amps, the amp is typically just being used as an overgrown power amp. I don't know anyone who combines distorted amp models from a POD with distortion from a real amp.

Yeah, it sounds really bad unless you run it through the clean channel. At least in my experience.
the best way the use a pod is to buy separate speakers or connect to a cabinet.It works in front of an amp but you have to have your amp to a clean channell and have the knobs to 5.In a way you can say that pod products are amps without being actually.They are modelling units that they simulate the sound of famous amps,with lots(i mean Lots) of effects in it.You can really get a very big varietion of sounds.ON the other if you want it for live,i don't know...the pro version should be fine.The x3 in particular have the ability to create two diffirent sounds and pan them left and right.
Last edited by Black Dragons at Jan 5, 2010,
Basically you can do just about anything with one of these units. They have a lot of possibilities that seem almost endless. I recommend going to Line 6's website to see all the effects, amps, and cab models that the thing does. Then look at all the ways you can use it or hook it up rather. You can run it through an amp on a clean channel, hook it up to monitors, directly to a power amp, or to your computer. It is just a great overall tool in my opinion, especially the live version.
Is there a difference between the live versions and the regular versions other than the footswitch? You can still use the regular version to play live if ur just using one setting right?

Would you guys recommend hooking one of these units up on an auxiliary-in in a guitar amp to prevent the amp from affecting the tone? *just an idea >.>*
can the pod be used directly in a cabinet??
(i.e. - without an actual amp??)
Has to have a powered cabinet. I just put mine in front of a valve junior and i have yet to find a modeling amp i like better for practice. If the VJ was more then 5 watts I wouldn't need much else.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Joey Sturgis who produces a lot of trendy pop bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, Attack Attack! and Miss May I uses it and I think it sounds phenomenal, honestly.

Fixed.

Lrn2hardcore.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2