i just got my first bass about a week ago and its fun. i was wondering if its a bad thing to use your thumb to play because thats what ive been doing and now i hear that i am supposed to use my fingers. does it matter?
I started like that, but eventually, finger-style became easier... just give it time, and don't do it until it feels right and comfortable, if it ever does.
Playing with your thumb will severely limit your playing speed and ability.

After a week it won't be solid habit, you'll be able to get out of it easy.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Playing with your thumb will severely limit your playing speed and ability.

After a week it won't be solid habit, you'll be able to get out of it easy.

yeah, but if that's what feels comfortable, he should play like that, right?
If he wants to learn some fast songs he could take up finger-style, but I don't see any reason to do it if he's doing fine with just his thumb. Just saying...
You can play the bass with your thumb, you can play your bass anyway you like. The question you should be asking is 'should you play with your thumb'?

To answer that question, ask yourself how many bassist you've seen play with their thumb as opposed to fingers or pick.
Go ahead and play with your thumb, but also learn finger style and possibly pick too. Each will have their perks. To me they are:

Thumb: Nice warm sound.

Fingerstyle: Good speed and easier string skipping because you have multiple appendages to hit different strings, while still keeping a pretty warm sound.

Pick: Speed speed speed. Especially tremolo picking. Gives a brighter sound that may be right for a song or genre.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Bad habits take a VERY long time to break. So I warn you TC, and take this into very hard consideration. Do you want to play the initial way or the much more improved, revised modern technique?
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Here's the deal. Players back in the late 50s through the 60s played with the thumb--which is why on some earlier Fenders you will see a tug bar below the G string; they would grip this bar with the other fingers while they played with their thumbs.

Some bass players still use the thumb (Peter Frampton's bassist comes to mind) or a combination of fingers/thumb (Sting). The issue is that if you use a single finger or a thumb, it is going to be limiting to your speed on faster runs.

My advice? Learn to pluck using the index/middle method first. It may seem awkward at first but ultimately its going to give your the basis for an overall solid fingerstyle. And if you want to throw in a thumb later on for sound quality, then do so.
I dislike thumb and yes you can play like that, but it's a big limit on speed and ability to move strings quickly.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Try playing with a pick. It's more similar to playing with your thumb then finger picking, so it will probably feel more comfortable to you.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Learn to play with fingers first. I guess if you're into that kind of thing, you could always play like a classical guitarist?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

you can play with you thumb, but it isn't the best technique. you can play faster more technical lines with finger style. also finger style makes two hand tapping easier to learn.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by hellbasser
yeah, but if that's what feels comfortable, he should play like that, right?
If he wants to learn some fast songs he could take up finger-style, but I don't see any reason to do it if he's doing fine with just his thumb. Just saying...

True, but there's a reason 99% of bassists now (signed or not, doesn't matter) use a pick or their fingers. Just because it's easier. When I picked up bass I just used a pick because I already played guitar. If he wants to learn fast songs, then it's just far easier to learn finger style now instead of later on when he's got poor technique because he plays with his thumb. It's be like relearning to play the bass.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice