I have an old, terrible guitar and would like to hollow out one or two chambers in it (along with changing the pickups and tuners, but I can find out how to do that elsewhere). Google hasn't been very good at helping me so I was wondering if anyone had a good guide for turning a solid body into a semi-hollow. One with pictures is preferred. Thanks in advance.
That's a horrible idea. You might as well build a new body man.

You would route out the cavities, then you would need to put at least a 1/4" top on, preferably more than that. So unless you want to

a.) cut your entire guitar in half and glue it back together.
b.)plane down your guitar to allow for the top
c.)have a way extra thick body

i suggest you drop this idea. Sorry. If you want a semi hollow, buy one, or build a body yourself.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
That's a horrible idea. You might as well build a new body man.

You would route out the cavities, then you would need to put at least a 1/4" top on, preferably more than that. So unless you want to

a.) cut your entire guitar in half and glue it back together.
b.)plane down your guitar to allow for the top
c.)have a way extra thick body

i suggest you drop this idea. Sorry. If you want a semi hollow, buy one, or build a body yourself.

Well damn, I guess I'll just strip the paint, change the pickups, and change the tuners.
^ Option C wouldn't work because of the roundover.

TS, it is possible. And if you put enough work into it, I can't see why it wouldn't be so hard.

You can see in this thread that Lumberjack planed down a guitar body for a top.

If you thickness the body so that the rounded over edges and any other contours are now flat you can then hollow out as much wood as you like, as long as you leave some in the middle for neck pocket, pickups and the bridge.

Take note of how much you take off with the thicknesser, because your going to have to bring it back up to normal thickness with a top.
Quote by almostnearlyevi
I have an old, terrible guitar and would like to hollow out one or two chambers in it (along with changing the pickups and tuners, but I can find out how to do that elsewhere). Google hasn't been very good at helping me so I was wondering if anyone had a good guide for turning a solid body into a semi-hollow. One with pictures is preferred. Thanks in advance.

What makes your guitar terrible? I highly doubt that the sole thing making it terrible is that it is a solidbody instead of a semi-hollowbody. If you expend the time and energy necessary to make it semi-hollow, but do not address the problems that are making it a "terrible" guitar, it would be a waste.