I'm getting into music theory right now because I've heard it's a really good idea. I already know several chords: D minor, D, C, F, A, F, G, E, E minor, stuffs like that. And I'm working on the pentatonic minor scale right now because I'm just starting out. Anyone got recommendations for music theory stuff?
Last edited by CobainReborn at Jan 4, 2010,
how about key signatures and what make major and minor keys differ
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by CobainReborn
I'm getting into music theory right now because I've heard it's a really good idea. I already know several chords: D minor, D, C, F, A, F, G, E, E minor, stuffs like that. And I'm working on the pentatonic minor scale right now because I'm just starting out. Anyone got recommendations for music theory stuff?

If you want to apply it to the guitar, I suggest trying to learn and practice the notes on the neck. Start out with the 5th and 6th strings and get them down well.

My gut tells me you are probably a little early to start getting too heavy into theory, if on the guitar you are just starting out on a Pent Minor scale - try learning the basics of the Musical Alphabet - also check out Mike Dodge and his free lessons and theory help. Go slow and ask questions if you are lost. If you are getting those things, not only in your head but under your fingers, you'll be off to a good start. Expect to take a fair bit of time till you are really strong on it, and that's okay....nothing wrong with that. We all started out where you are at some point.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 4, 2010,
I recommend getting fretboard theory by Desi Sernia.
I have been working through it and now have a great understanding of scales, modes, chord progressions and tieing them all together.
k i found some vids. this teaches about octaves, and this teaches about scales and how they can be played in different positions (but you should stick to your root notes until you completly get that scale down)