I'm in a band with 4 other people - one other guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, and a vocalist.

Our vocalist is TERRIBLE. She can NOT sing. She's the girlfriend of the guitarist, and he was one of two forming members. There is no chance of losing her. How do I go about criticizing her and getting her to listen to our advice without her having a hissy-fit and being an terrible bitch about everything? She's bipolar, and a woman who wants everything her way.

The boyfriend is in denial of it, too. Going through him is not an option. Also, I don't plan on leaving the band, as I see lots of musical potential despite this little speedbump.

tl;dr - singer sucks and is crazy; how do I fix it?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Find a new guitarist and singer. The rest of the band stays.

stratkat
Bring up that lessons improve skill for everyone?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Find a new band. Wrong forum btw.

EDIT:

Failing that, get her really drunk, and get her to cheat on her boyfriend, so he has an excuse to dump her. Sure, it might break his heart, but hey, no great loss when you're going to make great music.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jan 4, 2010,
Talk to her?
And don't just say "You suck, get better." Be critical in a helpful way, without saying anything insulting.
you be even crazier. sing as loud as possible when she sings and when they tell you to stop tell her that she should stop...... SUCKING(at singing)
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
And this children, is why romantic relationships do not belong in bands.

This life lesson brought to by Itchy G. Incorporated.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by DGEdblad
you be even crazier. sing as loud as possible when she sings and when they tell you to stop tell her that she should stop...... SUCKING(at singing)

This. Definitely this.
Quote by Le_Bunny
A band that can't openly communicate is the one that will fall apart, I think. Ditch them.

The problem is that everyone else is okay with communicating with one another. She is very exclusive and pompous and annoying..
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
dating a band member is a bad move. If she breaks up with him, it could cause the whole band to break up.
Peace my brothers!!!!
Fire the vocalist and other guitarist. You're not getting anywhere that way.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by Firequacker
I'm in a band with 4 other people - one other guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, and a vocalist.

Our vocalist is TERRIBLE. She can NOT sing. She's the girlfriend of the guitarist, and he was one of two forming members. There is no chance of losing her. How do I go about criticizing her and getting her to listen to our advice without her having a hissy-fit and being an terrible bitch about everything? She's bipolar, and a woman who wants everything her way.

The boyfriend is in denial of it, too. Going through him is not an option. Also, I don't plan on leaving the band, as I see lots of musical potential despite this little speedbump.

ABORT!

seriously, that is not a good dynamic to have in a band, at all.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Actually, a more effective solution is to get her to record herself singing, and to actually listen to it. It'll crush her harder than a can five thousand feet deep.

She has listened to 15 recordings over and over again of herself, and has listened to the criticism of almost everybody that has listened to the tunes on myspace and whatnot. She just won't take it to heart.

EDIT: My name rhymes with yours O.o
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Just blatantly tell her how bad she is and tell her to whomp off. There's no other option unless you want to take the other guys and start a different band.
Quote by Firequacker
She has listened to 15 recordings over and over again of herself, and has listened to the criticism of almost everybody that has listened to the tunes on myspace and whatnot. She just won't take it to heart.

Well, you're licked then. Stick to what I originally said, with the drunkeness and the cheating and whatnot.
Quote by Firequacker
EDIT: My name rhymes with yours O.o

Really?
I'm considering doing the blatantly-tell-her thing. The drummer and me are really tight anyways, so I could definitely see an offshoot happening. (inb4 innuendo)

Quote by NakedInTheRain
Well, you're licked then. Stick to what I originally said, with the drunkeness and the cheating and whatnot.

- my quote -

Really?

Yup. It's Gianni.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
Billy Corgan and Bob Dylan can't sing, and look at how much money they made.

Billy =meh.....and Bob Dylan is a genius so I dont think it compares
I would just tell her she sucks and get the bassist and drummer to agree, if she gets pissed off and the other guitar player defends her then fire them both. There are ways for the other guitarist to fire her without ruining their relationship I think, if they are mature people.
Get a mutual friend to walk up to to the band and say you guys are awesome, but have a horrible singer.

Repeat.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Punch her. This will accomplish 2 things.

1) She'll learn her lesson, and either quit or sing better
2) You will get a sammich. Because as we all know, every time a woman is punched a sammich is made.
Quote by Firequacker

Learn from a pro!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
TS, can you post her myspace or video of her containing her singing?
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ABORT!

seriously, that is not a good dynamic to have in a band, at all.
It works for Within Temptation

stratkat
Quote by EuBoat
It works for Within Temptation

yeah, they aren't in highschool either, and where together for a long time before the band happened apparently, and even then it's still not an ideal situation in most cases.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm