I currently have a Behringer GMX212 and I'm in need of something with more power.

My band plays mostly thrash metal and metalcore stuff (Lamb of god, Pantera, Metallica) and I have been thinking about picking this marshall from my local guitar center. We're only playing small gigs in bars and what not right now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG4-Series-MG100HFXRS-and-MG412ARS-Half-Stack-875568-i1476011.gc

Is this a good idea? My budget is around 600$ so, recommend me something else if necessary.
No. Get a 6505+ 112 combo instead, or the Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by Raijouta

How much power do those have compared to the marshall?
God NO. Marshall Mg's are horrible, I agree with the tube vypyr idea
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Quote by Raijouta

this, you would be thoroughly disappointed with the distortion on the MG

also you can play small gigs with only 60watts, as little as 30 if your amp is mic'd
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Glyph92

Much more. And 1000x better tone, too.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I have a boss metal zone pedal so distortion isn't really my concern. Is it still a bad idea?
Quote by Glyph92
I have a boss metal zone pedal so distortion isn't really my concern. Is it still a bad idea?

stay away from the MG, it is not an upgrade from anything

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Glyph92

imho, the distortion on the 6505+ 112 is about 10,000x better than the distortion from a metal zone
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Quote by justinb904
imho, the distortion on the 6505+ 112 is about 10,000x better than the distortion from a metal zone

Yeah, I used to own a metal zone, but I literally gave it away once I got a Vypyr. But the 6505+ is reeeaaalllyyy nine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCdo1qOPCY
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by Glyph92

Enough. If you're at the point where you're even considering buying a Marshall MG, you don't need 100 watts of power. Plus, tube amps are way louder than solid state. I'll be surprised if you ever need to take the Peaveys over 4.

Also, I don't care what your rig is right now, a Marshall MG IS NOT AN UPGRADE. It sounds like shit.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Alright I guess I'll go with the Vypyr but, how much better is it than the behringer? My GMX212 gives me lots of feedback problems and is barely loud enough to get over the drums in my buddy's small practice room. What can expect with the Vypyr?
Quote by Glyph92
Alright I guess I'll go with the Vypyr but, how much better is it than the behringer? My GMX212 gives me lots of feedback problems and is barely loud enough to get over the drums in my buddy's small practice room. What can expect with the Vypyr?

I'm not familiar with the behringer but the Vypyr is top notch as far as modeling amps go. It models a lot of good high gain amps including the 6505 and mesa rectifier, has plenty of effects to work with and 60 watts should be able to get you over your friends drumming with headroom to spare.
Dude if you are going to spend that much then go ahead and get the Peavey 6505 combo. That is a real tube amp and you said you already used a metal zone. That is a great combo plus the vypyr basically tries to model it at one setting. The setting literally says 6505. That should really tell you something right there. Why not get the amp that the other amp you are thinking about getting models? It's kind of funny when you think about it! Get the real deal when spending that kind of money.
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Jan 5, 2010,