I have just discovered a large and nasty crack in the back of the headstock of my Gibson SG. It's in a V shape (starting right below the bottom tuning head on one side of the headstock, then dipping down to the beginning of the neck, then going up the other side). The bottom of the V is separated a little from the guitar, like a flap. It could be my imagination, but it seems like the guitar is having trouble staying in tune (the strings are really old, though, could be part of it). How serious is this and how much would it cost to fix at Guitar Center?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
Your sig is big.
Also, wrong forum sorry.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by MarshmallowPies
I have just discovered a large and nasty crack in the back of the headstock of my Gibson SG. It's in a V shape (starting right below the bottom tuning head on one side of the headstock, then dipping down to the beginning of the neck, then going up the other side). The bottom of the V is separated a little from the guitar, like a flap. It could be my imagination, but it seems like the guitar is having trouble staying in tune (the strings are really old, though, could be part of it). How serious is this and how much would it cost to fix at Guitar Center?

But sorry that sounds bad man
The strings aren't staying in tune because the headstock is slowly being ripped off your guitar by the tension from the strings.

De-string it immediately, fixing a crack isn't a big deal. Asking a guy to precision-glue your headstock back to your guitar is going to be quite costly.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
*ported* with the best of intentions, as in, I hope this gets moved to one of our helpful forums. You've already gotten one good bit of advice, though. Take the strings off, stat.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I think they're made like that
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Venice King
Your sig is big.
Also, wrong forum sorry.

Sorry, in my distress I didn't stop to consider what would the appropriate forum would be
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
its an easy fix. just google it. you'll get tonnes of websites explaining how to do it. a friend of mine broke a headstock completely off on a rental gibson acoustic and i cracked cracked the headstock on an epiphone after the strap button fell out. i fixed both. its a bit nerve racking and takes some time, but easy to do
Quote by Shazazmic
The strings aren't staying in tune because the headstock is slowly being ripped off your guitar by the tension from the strings.

De-string it immediately, fixing a crack isn't a big deal. Asking a guy to precision-glue your headstock back to your guitar is going to be quite costly.

This. Take off the strings. Nao. And don't take it to GC for repair, they'll rip you off. take it to a local place. It's just a crack, don't worry. It's common. Not good , but common.