Page 1 of 2
There you go.
Up to know I've tried Fender and Ernie Ball, where Ernie Ball wins.
Yeah Elixir Baritones ftw.

Although for some reason I hate their bass strings, in which GHS Super Steels 6 ftw.
Started with DR went to GHS custom lites then forced to buy a pair of D'addario... I've used GHS for the last 3 years but DR lasted forever and the tone and feel stayed far longer than any other. DR>GHS>D'addario, but I've never tried EB's. Heard too many complaints from friends.
i like elixirs on my acoustic
but i love titanium ernie balls on my electric
{[WD Punk]}
won't touch ernie ball or GHS just don't like em, DR D'addario or dean markley are my choices
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
for guitar, Dean Markley! great sounding, long lasting, and they don't break.. I only have to replace my strings when they get too old
Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom 10-52
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Dr
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
started on Ernie Ball's then went to Blue Steels now im goin with Dunlop medium-heavy for Standard and drop D tuning and Rotosound Roto Blues for drop C
Ernie Ball strings are too....cheap feeling and sounding
D'Addiro strings only sound good on acoustic guitars
Dean Markely Blue Steels are pretty nice strings, good tone, long life, good feel
GHS strings are just like Ernie Ball
DR strings are way too bassy, and don't hold tone very long, crappy high frequency range.
Elixers are the best strings by far, nice feel, great frequency range, long lasting tone.
Cleartone strings are the worst of them all, dead sounding from the start.
Fender Nickle Wound strings are pretty normal, sound good, feel good, last about a month.

This is all my experience with strings and is my opinion. So no flaming.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom 10-52

Same here. Eb's and Ghs skinny/heavies for me. Elixers feel too slick to me...and they dont make 10-52 sets
I like Ernie Balls. I've got D'Addarios on my Les Paul and Strat and I don't like 'em nearly as much.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i used to play dean markleys but the damned things kept breaking on me no matter what i did. i've tried every brand out there i can think of but they all were just....underwhelming. now i only use Fender Bullets on all my electrics. i dont know why, but they just have a great feel to them IMO. tone is pretty sweet too. for my acoustic it's all about the Elixer's though. and when it comes to bass, it's gotta be Dunlops. all other bass strings just chew my hands up.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
I use D'Addario or Cleartones depending on what's at the store. Thomastiks are awesome when a store actually has them in stock. I recently tried some Rotosounds and I may switch over to those. They sounded and felt great.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I use D'Addario or Cleartones depending on what's at the store. Thomastiks are awesome when a store actually has them in stock. I recently tried some Rotosounds and I may switch over to those. They sounded and felt great.

DUDE!!!! You live in Austin Texas!!! Holy crap! I thought I was the only one
Hello everyone. My first strings were D' addrios. They were nice. After awhile, I tried GHS Boomers, and they were terrible and broke fast and rusted quickly. I then went back to D'addario, and have been using them for a year. These are the only two brands I have tried. I only play in E standard. I have always wanted a set of strings that have thick top strings for metal, yet thinner strings for easy bends. I don't know which brand can offer me this. Can anyone recommend a set for me? Thanks.
Last edited by modirnwarfare at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by modirnwarfare
Hello everyone. My first strings were D' addrios. They were nice. After awhile, I tried GHS Boomers, and they were terrible and broke fast and rusted quickly. I then went back to D'addario, and have been using them for a year. These are the only two brands I have tried. I only play in E standard. I have always wanted a set of strings that have thick top strings for metal, yet thinner strings for easy bends. I don't know which brand can offer me this. Can anyone recommend a set for me? Thanks.

Pretty much every brand offers light top/heavy bottom sets. They've recently become very, very popular.

Quote by ethan_hanus
DUDE!!!! You live in Austin Texas!!! Holy crap! I thought I was the only one

I've seen a few others, but most of them are just people who come on here and post one thread asking what amp to get.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 5, 2010,
i've tried labella, d'addario, elixir, DR, a few others...

ernie ball are pretty cheap, i liked the tone but they broke soo easily
d'addario.. beh, quite the opposite, they don't break but they sound and feel cheap
DR were pretty nice, last a long time
elixir wins for me though, but i have 5 guitars to string so i don't use em so much
i've only tried ernie ball, which i didn't really like and d'addario which i use exclusively now on both my gibson and godin.

for acoustic strings i use godin.
D'addarios

I tried using Cleartones one time and they were only on two days before the high E string broke...right before I had to play at my schools concert.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
I really like Dean Markely`s for Accoustic but not Electric - I like D`addario light top medium bottom for my jackson. I`ve tried fenders and they are okay I guess

Going to try some super slinky`s on my telecaster soon.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
From what I've tried:

Ernie Ball strings are what I use now. Not very expensive, sound and feel good, and last a long time.
D'Addario strings are great too. I've used them for many years and my only complain is that they take a bit too long to break in. I could consider going back to them again someday.
Dean Markley are THE WORST strings I've EVER played. They felt and sounded cheap, and each set didn't last me over 2 weeks.
DR strings are great, the best uncoated strings I've played. BUT, they're quite expensive and hard to find here, so I can't get them normally.
Elixir sound great and last a LONG time, but I don't know, I prefer uncoated strings.
Fender strings are just... junk. But in my experience, not as bad as Dean Markley :P
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
DR for me!

Started out using Ernie Balls, but they proved to be horribly prone to breaking on me, so I quit using them and started using D'Addario, which I still believe are the best "cheaper" strings. Then I used Dean Markley Blue Steels for a while, which are great strings w/good tone and long life, but what turned me on to DR was the feel and sound. More organic and natural feeling, but with the long life of Blue Steels.

This is all just my opinion of course
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
D'Addario.

They seem a lot more durable than Ernie Ball's which I used before, but I think I'll switch to Dunlop strings next time.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I use D'Addario exclusively...I've tried all the major brands on each of my guitars and I just like the feel of the D'Addario's better. I order them by the boxload I have to order separate bass strings for my 7- and 8-strings though.
I use Elixir... There pretty good and last a long time. There just so dang expensive.
I love my D'addario's

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
My favorites are Cleartone Drop Tunes .11-.56 or Dean Markley Blue Steel .11-.52 on my First Act guitars.

On my Greco I prefer Rotosounds .11s or DR Pure Blues .11s
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
For me, D'Addarios. I like the bright sound (and low price), and they seem not to break much. As for bass strings, I haven't changed the strings on my bass since I bought it (over a year ago! ) so I have no idea.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
For the Strat I used to use Fender bullets but found they lost their brightness very quickly and were due to be replaced every 5-6 weeks. I have gone back to Ernie Super Slinky's but just about to try some Regular Slinky's again as I'm finding Super's too light these days.

I'm not sure what brand they are but on the Les Paul I'm using some heavy gauge flat wounds (a mate gave them to me and were brand new but 20 years old!) Really enjoy playing with these as they feel alot stronger and are excellent for rhythm. Certainly not as bright as roundwound.

Acoustic - I'm still trying to find the right strings. Always used to use Martin lights but moved to mediums a few years back. Had the LA8 fret dressed recently and the tech put on some cheap D'Addario's which I found far too tinny and put a set of M&M mediums back on.

Saying that I just ordered some EXP12's which I hope will be a good option as they're getting good reviews.
rather fond of my rotosound 10's
I should probably try others, but I cba
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
i use Rubber Bands. they give you this authentic twangy sound. they give you 200 strings for a dollar so thats around....35 sets of strings.
Quote by enselmis
Elixir. /thread

good strings, but my local shop doesn't carry .011"-.048/.049". And so, I use D'addario.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i'll defend dr to the death. they are a little bassy but that's what your eq is for. I use a custom .13-.60 set with a wound .24 g put together from singles.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Page 1 of 2