i've looked for other threads on this but didnt exactly find what i need. A lot of people say that the CV sounds better than the MIM despite being a squier and cheaper. But hey, if its cheaper and sounds great, why no go? Do tell me, which would you rather get?
Honestly, Classic vibe, but cause I prefer the Squier necks over the Fender necks. As far as pickups and all that jazz, I honestly think the Classic Vibe is built better than the MIM Fenders, since the Classic Vibe is Squiers most expensive guitar and the MIM Fender is Fender's cheapest guitar.
do you mean the 50's or 60's classic vibe? cause I've played a 50's model, and LOVED it. I'd prefer it to a MIM strat, the sound quality is bout the same, almost going the way of the squier, and the squier feels better.
Dunno bout the 60's one though.
Whoa, it's all about feel, the electronics can be replaced. I myself use a *Squier* Stagemaster with a *licensed* Floyd Rose, and it feels like a dream to me. It's all a matter of the feel and how you play it. Don't like the sound? Buy some new electronics.
GTFO my sig
The classic vibe series is fantastic value for money. They have uprated period accurate pickups, as opposed the MIM standards pickups, so in my opinion the classic vibe series sounds more articulated and has a better tone. The necks also have a really nice finish which the MIM's simply don't have.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Not to hijack, but Squier are bringing out some more Classic Vibes:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_classic_vibe_tele_thin.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_classic_vibe_telecustom.htm

That Thinline looks so much more better than the VM models.

But I'd probably go for a Classic Vibe over the Standard, just because I prefer them to be honest. The MIMs are still good guitars though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Here's how i see it:

the classic vibes are nicer looking guitars, which often will sound a lot better out of the box due to the better pickups, but the quality of the build and the wood just isn't there really. They can be good, but to me, the body wood feels flimsy, and the necks feel like plastic due to the thick poly-finishes, which are also quite sticky. Of course they are probably pretty solid and reliable but they just don't feel like "real" instruments to me.

The MIMs on the other hand are a lot better built, and may not be too good to begin with but they have a lot of extra potential as a dependable "workhorse" guitar. The necks are finished in a much thinner coat which gives them a more natural woody feel (perhaps more susceptible to wearing down but that's merely cosmetic), and there's a lot more "body" in the tone. The downside is that the stock pickups are quite harsh and "clangy" sounding (on mine, at least), but with a pickup replacement and a good setup a MIM should be a superior guitar in every respect. That's why you pay a little more for them - it's not just because it says "Fender" on it.

Of course this opinion may be biased as i prefer the MIMs. In reality, i'd say the MIMs are a little better as far as a working guitar goes, but they are different enough for someone's preference to warrant a classic vibe being a better choice for them personally. which is why the classic vibe VS standard MIM 'battle' will probably go on for an eternity, or at least until fender discontinues one or the other!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube
Here's how i see it:

the classic vibes are nicer looking guitars, which often will sound a lot better out of the box due to the better pickups, but the quality of the build and the wood just isn't there really. They can be good, but to me, the body wood feels flimsy, and the necks feel like plastic due to the thick poly-finishes, which are also quite sticky. Of course they are probably pretty solid and reliable but they just don't feel like "real" instruments to me.

The MIMs on the other hand are a lot better built, and may not be too good to begin with but they have a lot of extra potential as a dependable "workhorse" guitar. The necks are finished in a much thinner coat which gives them a more natural woody feel (perhaps more susceptible to wearing down but that's merely cosmetic), and there's a lot more "body" in the tone. The downside is that the stock pickups are quite harsh and "clangy" sounding (on mine, at least), but with a pickup replacement and a good setup a MIM should be a superior guitar in every respect. That's why you pay a little more for them - it's not just because it says "Fender" on it.

Of course this opinion may be biased as i prefer the MIMs. In reality, i'd say the MIMs are a little better as far as a working guitar goes, but they are different enough for someone's preference to warrant a classic vibe being a better choice for them personally. which is why the classic vibe VS standard MIM 'battle' will probably go on for an eternity, or at least until fender discontinues one or the other!

I think you've either got a very good MIM or you've handled a bad classic vibe. Cv's are built of solid tone woods and their quality control is excellent. I've played a few now at guitar shops and out of the box they've had a better setup and feel than any MIM.

Also alot of people prefer Poly Finishes. The CV have a laquered neck finish that is almost high gloss. It makes the neck fast and bright. You find this finish on most MIJ telecasters and it's all about preference.

If you can stand Squier on the headstock and wan't to be judged on the tone no the brand, by the CV. There is merit in buying a MIM for resale purposes and i suppose they'd make a good base, but you're ultimately going to end up spending much more money.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I'd get the MIM just so I wouldn't have to keep explaining why I have a Squier to people.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
I'd get the MIM just so I wouldn't have to keep explaining why I have a Squier to people.

But isn't that a Bad reason to get a guitar. That's along similar lines to buying a Marshall MG just because it says Marshall.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
I think you've either got a very good MIM or you've handled a bad classic vibe. Cv's are built of solid tone woods and their quality control is excellent. I've played a few now at guitar shops and out of the box they've had a better setup and feel than any MIM.

Also alot of people prefer Poly Finishes. The CV have a laquered neck finish that is almost high gloss. It makes the neck fast and bright. You find this finish on most MIJ telecasters and it's all about preference.

If you can stand Squier on the headstock and wan't to be judged on the tone no the brand, by the CV. There is merit in buying a MIM for resale purposes and i suppose they'd make a good base, but you're ultimately going to end up spending much more money.

Obviously you didn't read the last paragraph of my post.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
Obviously you didn't read the last paragraph of my post.

It wasn't having a 'go'. No offense intended, i probably just expressed my opinion a bit strongly.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
It wasn't having a 'go'. No offense intended, i probably just expressed my opinion a bit strongly.

hey, no worries

perhaps it wasn't clear enough that i was posting my opinion from the beginning

As far as Teles go, I'd take a CV over an MIM Standard any day. I've done a side-by-side between the two before and found the Squier to be much more appealing in a tone and feel respect, minus the tacky feeling gloss finish on the CV's neck. However, just like my Tele Deluxe, that tackiness will wear off after you play it a bit and you'll be left with a nice smooth gloss.

In respect to Strats, though, I've never played a CV Strat.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well considering that the CV is about 150 quid cheaper, it's a no brainer
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
or save a couple hundo more and get a hwy1. i like the squiers and all but...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Teles are going to be a huge matter of preference, as one has an alder body and the other pine. As far as strats go, as an owner of a MIM Standard and someone who used to work in a shop who's owner loved Squiers, ergo had a lot of them and so played more than a fair share of CV's, duds and all, here would be my take;

MIM body is comfier, and if you dig more than vintagey finishes, the MIM's can be sexier. As always the neck is a matter of opinion, but merely because on the maple fretboard MIM's the fingerboard is uncoated and smooth I prefer a MIM neck profile in feel. That said, now that the MIM's don't have the gloss backs, it may be a tougher call for me. As far as pickups go, hands-down the CV kicks ass though. Personally I'd just take a set of CV pickups and put them in a MIM.

Also, anyone who says that one or the other is better for everyone in every way is an idiot. You're not paying for a different word on the headstock with a MIM, it does have better parts in some areas(Wood quality, probably tuners, etc.), while the CV has others(Pickups, neck depending on your tastes, etc.), but really it's just the pickups and depending on your taste the neck that the CV has over the MIM, which are both easily swapped on a stratocaster.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by gregs1020
or save a couple hundo more and get a hwy1. i like the squiers and all but...

Agreed, but if you save a couple hundred more then you can get a MIA Stratocaster which beats them all. You might be able to find a used MIA strat from 2006 and above for $700 if your lucky.
If we're talking about saving up now I'd say a Classic Player Strat.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
CV ownz MIM. NUff said.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Suffice to say I have a MIM Deluxe Lone Star Strat at the moment and I'm looking to sell it to make way for a MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH and a Squier CV Strat. I might be flogging my Warmoth Tele & Thinline to a friend and replacing them with a single Squier CV Thinline too for space reasons.

Every single Squier CV I've played or seen has been as flawless as you could ask for for a sub-£500 guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Agreed, but if you save a couple hundred more then you can get a MIA Stratocaster which beats them all. You might be able to find a used MIA strat from 2006 and above for $700 if your lucky.

you can score a used mia std strat for $700, they are out there. i've seen $650 pretty regularly on clist.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.