Lately it seems like I keep using the same rhythm for different songs. Like maybe not the exact same strum pattern but the same rhythm and chucks and hammer on's and all that stuff if that makes sense. What can I do to prevent this. It seems like I'm getting stuck in a rut of this one pattern and it's driving me nuts.
Quote by dusty2119
Lately it seems like I keep using the same rhythm for different songs. Like maybe not the exact same strum pattern but the same rhythm and chucks and hammer on's and all that stuff if that makes sense. What can I do to prevent this. It seems like I'm getting stuck in a rut of this one pattern and it's driving me nuts.

Try writing in a different style of music. So if you're writing metal, try writing like jazz or ska or something. Or you could release an album with a bunch of the same riffs and become like AC/DC.

"I'm sick of people saying we have 11 albums that sound exactly the same. We have 12 albums that sound exactly the same!"
-Angus Young-
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Try listening to a different kind of music to pull in other influences and to see how they write music and apply it. also try writing in a different time signature and try staying away from the rock friendly 4/4 for a while.
Stop approaching it as "playing a pattern" - after all that's not what you're actually trying to do. What you're trying to do is play music, so think about what sounds you're using and how they work together, try to set the physical aspects of the guitar aside for a while and only worry about them when it comes to figuring out how to play what's in your head.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
try writing songs on the piano

This actually helps. Try it
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
without repeating what was said before, ill suggest you:
change your "tricks" you use(tremolo/hybrid picking, PH, PM, slides, whammy, effects...)
listen to other music genres
try improvising on other rhythms ( try improvising on other genres )
try more than 1 tip that was posted on this thread, and the rest is YOU.
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
try writing songs on the piano

This, I wrote some pretty cool melodys and got ideas for riffs with a Piano.

They are great.

Just dont play them on stage.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!