i just want to know the comparison of build qualities in the gibson les paul traditional and the esp eclipse II.
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
anyone??
Define build quality.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
IMHO you'll find good and bad in either. If you talking ESP and not LTD. I think LTDs are pretty piss poor from my experience with them but ESPs are very good. I would take a bottom end ESP over the top of the line LTD any day. I do not have as much experience with ESPs because they really haven't been in a lot of shops around here but now that GC is a dealer for them I am getting to try more and more.

I have more experience with Gibsons they seemed to have slacked off in quality control not actual build quality they seem to let too much go by. Mostly it's a little tweeking but I think when you buy a guitar for 3K it should not need tweaking. I had a long talk with a Gibson authorized dealer he told me the newest Gibson regime just does not mark a guitar as a second or try and fix a problem before it gets shipped hence the inconsistency. I have never found a major problem in a Gibson myself usually a small blems or bad fret jobs. I have heard some dealers having to send back Gibsons because the fret spacing was off. My biggest complain about Gibson is you can try a Studio that is amazing and a Custom that just doesn't cut it for the price. Even though I seem to put Gibson down they are still my favorite guitars they are just in a slump!

John
well im talking about the ESP standard eclipse II, its around about the same price as the traditional.

i totally agree with you there, when you blow all this money on a guitar above 3 grand u want it to be perfect and not to go back and have little things fixed.

@ Bhaok,
my question was regarding how these too match up to each other. would the les paul traditional have better quality woods, electronics etc. or will the esp eclipse II have the better wood, electronics etc.
Quote by nathan549
well im talking about the ESP standard eclipse II, its around about the same price as the traditional.

i totally agree with you there, when you blow all this money on a guitar above 3 grand u want it to be perfect and not to go back and have little things fixed.

@ Bhaok,
my question was regarding how these too match up to each other. would the les paul traditional have better quality woods, electronics etc. or will the esp eclipse II have the better wood, electronics etc.

I'm tempted to say that they're about the same. You can't really tell because Eclipses have smaller bodies and necks. There's just not as much mass to it. Plus they use EMGs which would make the differences even harder to tell. But don't go by that since they're completely different guitars. You wouldn't be happy with an Eclipse if you wanted a Les Paul and vice versa.
Well, ESP has phenomenal build quality; it's far better than a lot of guitars in that range (the Eclipse II is about $1500, I think). The gibson is a good $600 or so more (it's $2190 for an opaque top, and $2300 for a flame maple top), so the ESP is a better value.

EDIT: Oh, you're in AUS. Didn't know that.

It depends on what you want to play - would you rather a metal guitar or a lower-gain guitar?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
Well, ESP has phenomenal build quality; it's far better than a lot of guitars in that range (the Eclipse II is about $1500, I think). The gibson is a good $600 or so more (it's $2190 for an opaque top, and $2300 for a flame maple top), so the ESP is a better value.

EDIT: Oh, you're in AUS. Didn't know that.

It depends on what you want to play - would you rather a metal guitar or a lower-gain guitar?

Tell that to Buckethead
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Tell that to Buckethead

stock, that is. The Traditional comes with burstbuckers, which aren't potted and aren't meant for high gain playing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well i play alot of gun n roses, metallica type of music. so obviously id want some gain. but pickups arnt really a problem i can just change them out no hassle to me. i want one that will be versitile, ive heard that esps are strickly metal but just want to see what other ppls oppinions on that is.
I'd go the ESP. Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson but I've played the ESP model you mention and it kicked the crap out of any genuine les paul I've ever used. In fact it kicked the crap out of just about every other guitar I've played. Loved the sound too, the 81 in the bridge gives you all the gain and gnarl you could ask for and the 60 in the nack can give you some more traditional les paul sounds with added clarity. That's my 20c worth anyways, to be honest though either one is going to be a great guitar so I'd try each and see what you think. If possible of course, as a fellow aussie I know how hard it is to actually find a place with the gear you want in stock.
Good luck dude.
Quote by nathan549
well i play alot of gun n roses, metallica type of music. so obviously id want some gain. but pickups arnt really a problem i can just change them out no hassle to me. i want one that will be versitile, ive heard that esps are strickly metal but just want to see what other ppls oppinions on that is.

Which model are you looking at? The EMG or the SD version?
@ Waylanderau, thanks for your oppinion il deffinatley try out both once i found a store that stocks them. only bad thing bout australia ay haha.

@ azn_guitarist25, it would be the emg model because of the colour i wanted if i was going to get it
EMGs are more versatile than most people think (especially MrFlibble). Once you do the 18v mod, it works very well for almost anything. Case in point, some country player gets awesome tones out of an EMG 85 (I forget his name, I know who it is, but...).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden