Hi UG.

I feel bad, as I've made lots of threads about which amp I should get, but now I need to narrow it down a bit!

Long story short, Christmas didn't go exactly as planned, and I didn't get AT ALL near enough for the cheap Fender Twin that I had my eye on.
I'm in a band (well, we've just started, jamming in the music rooms at uni), and I'm wondering whether my next amp should be something gig-worthy, or a better practice amp.

I have a Vox Valvetronix amp, but it is at home, as the handle broke on it, making it a nightmare to move anywhere. Tonewise, it also does not "do anything" for me (I'm sure that makes me sound like an ungrateful git, but it's true )

The amp in my room is a crap Yamaha 10w amp that I got WITH my first guitar.

I was looking at a Blackstar HT-5 if practice amp is the way forward, but haven't a clue if I'm looking at a proper gigging amp which is suitable for the halls I'm in.

ANY ideas?
Cheers!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Do you have a budget in mind at all?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Theres a lot of different ways to go about that. With the blackstar you could always Mic it when you gig.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
How about something like a 15 watt valve amp?

i had a laney VC15 in my first year while in halls and it was good in my room and jamming with mates in practice rooms.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by reidhasguitar
Just keep your cheap 10w and get a stomp box, then look at a Marshall half-stack. That's what I'm going to do. But being a musician, I'm broke

Marshall half-stack....

TS, do not bother with pedals for a Yamaha 10W practice amp. HT-5 sounds like a good option, but we need more info like your budget and musical tastes.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by TechnoLp
Theres a lot of different ways to go about that. With the blackstar you could always Mic it when you gig.

This. You should be able to get away with using a 5 watter in a place like manchester with a big music scene, as it's more than likely that the kind of venues there will want to mic up the guitar amps anyway (provided you're actually at uni in manchester rather than living there and travelling to and from the place where you study)

Or you could get a 15/20 watter like a laney VC15 or fender blues junior. I'm planning on going to uni and i'll probably be purchasing a blues junior should i get a place on a music course. An amp that size/wattage should be okay to transport from place to place as well as being loud enough to cut through with a full band in small halls and such.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i wouldn't worry too much about the size of your amp in halls. i mean, it really is much of a muchness. if volume is a problem, a five watter will still be too loud.

furthermore, it is with the band that it matters. if you have to make do with a crappy amp for practice in your room, so be it. it really isn't the end of the world.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I'd go with a good practice amp if you are still in school. I've got a Roland Micro-Cube (2 Watts) which impresses absolutely everybody who hears it. If I need more volume (playing out with a drummer) I either mic the amp, patch it into the PA system or rent a bigger amp for the night. 99% of the time, I can play the Micro-Cube which is totally portable and runs on batteries if needed.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
I'm in a dorm too and I don't use a practice amp, just a Toneport GX with POD Farm. Have a Peavey Classic 50 for gigs and a Cube 15 on my room here but I never use it because I can't stand the sound.

The Toneport works great though.
you could always get a Weber minimass and run the amp through the PA or a louder amp if needed.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Blackstar ht5 is perfect with practising in small areas where you don't want to make too much noise but don't want to lose too much tone. Thats exactly what made me choose it. I barely even turn the volume up past 10-15% because then the neighbours would complain, so I don't think anything higher than 5w of valve amp would be needed
Hayden Mofo!
30W amp with a switch to take it down to 2W.

Only £469 with a 1x10 cab as well I think.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

peavey vypyr 30. Its versatile, so you shouldn't need to buy too many pedals, it costs around £150-£175, it sturdy and loud. Pretty much any amp that you will buy needs a PA system for a medium-large gig but for small-small medium gigs and band practice it'll do you good. Stay away from Line 6 spiders and Laney's. Laney's break down too much.
man, don't worry about the size and wattage, not saying go for a head/cab, but getting a combo that's up to 50 valve watts wouldn't hurt ya. as long as your amp has a master volume control, you're set. i used my RM50 all the time at college, practice, jamming, whatever i wanted. people won't freak out as much as you think. during the day, everyone's either at class or out in town, and during the evening and night (if it's anything like it is here at ECU lol) everyone's still out and about, downtown, looking to party and stuff. it's not til night time when you really gotta watch your volume so much, during those 'quiet hours.'

my suggestion is that if you're going to get an amp, you've had enough practice amps. get something that's between 20-60 watts. it'll be loud enough for sure. though you should still throw a set budget out there, as well as the styles and all. you really don't need any more modeling type amps unless you really play that many different styles regularly that it's completely necessary.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Blompcube
Or you could get a 15/20 watter like a laney VC15 or fender blues junior. I'm planning on going to uni and i'll probably be purchasing a blues junior should i get a place on a music course. An amp that size/wattage should be okay to transport from place to place as well as being loud enough to cut through with a full band in small halls and such.

I'd say that's probably a better option than 5W, just for a bit of insurance. 15/20W can do a small gig, and it might be good to have that ability.

By the way, do you go to Manchester Uni? If you do, where are the rehearsal rooms?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Thanks for all the help guys!

Budget wise, I'm looking around the £400 area.
Genre is.. diverse haha! Everything short of metal, so I don't need crazy distortion or anything like that. For a lead channel, it's more Alex Lifeson-esk (doesn't need LOADS of gain, but enough

monkey_dancer, I'm afraid not haha. Born and lived in Manchester, but now moved down to Northampton!

Also, to add a noob question to the mix, do venues with a PA set up usually have the equipment to mic it up themselves?
I ask simply because I am quite keen on the HT-5 sounds and price range, but should I buy some mic equip as well if I get it?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck
Thanks for all the help guys!

Budget wise, I'm looking around the £400 area.
Genre is.. diverse haha! Everything short of metal, so I don't need crazy distortion or anything like that. For a lead channel, it's more Alex Lifeson-esk (doesn't need LOADS of gain, but enough

monkey_dancer, I'm afraid not haha. Born and lived in Manchester, but now moved down to Northampton!

Also, to add a noob question to the mix, do venues with a PA set up usually have the equipment to mic it up themselves?
I ask simply because I am quite keen on the HT-5 sounds and price range, but should I buy some mic equip as well if I get it?

Hayden MoFo. Hands down.
ZT Lunchbox w/ Lunchbox cab would be an excellent choice. Keep in mind you need to use it with a distortion pedal though really, unless you use clean/low gain exclusively.

Fender Twin is overkill.
Quote by sTarbuck

the HT5 has a line out that you could run through the PA directly, no need to deal with mics.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Don't get me wrong, I KNOW the Twin is overkill haha! But at a discounted price, for THAT sound, I would still kill for it!!

I've not seen any Haydns around here, I'd like to try one as it keeps getting mentioned here now!

Edit - Wow, the HT-5 gets more awesome every second
I believe it has an effects loop, which I'd like to experiment with (never had an amp with one before )
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Last edited by sTarbuck at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
the HT5 has a line out that you could run through the PA directly, no need to deal with mics.

Won't sound as good since you're bypassing the power tubes completely. HT-5 is just shy of a "Metal" amp so probably won't sound as good without some Power tube saturation. Even a little(practice volumes) would be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW the Twin is overkill haha! But at a discounted price, for THAT sound, I would still kill for it!!

If you're looking for a good clean amp, a ZT Lunchbox/Club or Jazz Chorus would be great, since they're SS they'll sound good at any volume. The Lunchbox sounds like a Tube amp when you overdrive it though IMO. Get the HT Dual pedal and you'll have all the sounds from the HT-5, too.

So I'd recommend

HT Pedal
Lunchbox
Lunchbox Cab

Will be more expensive than the HT-5 but you'll be able to gig without a PA/jam with drummer no bother then.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jan 5, 2010,
I have a roland jazz chorus head and a Blackstar HT-dual pedal. So clean amp with a blackstar probably isnt a bad idea.

The HT-dual pedal has a tube preamp and is super versatile. From extremely low gainy tones to getting into higher gain metal tones. and everywhere in between.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Won't sound as good since you're bypassing the power tubes completely. HT-5 is just shy of a "Metal" amp so probably won't sound as good without some Power tube saturation. Even a little(practice volumes) would be fine.

Power tube saturation is generally not desired in metal. it's the preamp that most metal players look for. why else would they play obscenely loud amps (besides phallic shortcomings )?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 5, 2010,
Guys, I'm not into metal!

Right, if I were to get a HT-5, would the Line Out be good REGARDLESS of its metal capabilities?
Also, cab or half-stack? Cab is cheaper, half-stack is cooler..
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck
Guys, I'm not into metal!

Right, if I were to get a HT-5, would the Line Out be good REGARDLESS of its metal capabilities?
Also, cab or half-stack? Cab is cheaper, half-stack is cooler..

yes. it would work fine. i was just taking the pis
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
seriuosly £400 you can get a peavy vypry 100w with stuff to spare. Go peavey they are awesome.
Damnit, I didn't see the sarcasm
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by Jhachey22
Power tube saturation is generally not desired in metal. it's the preamp that most metal players look for. why else would they play obscenely loud amps (besides phallic shortcomings )?

It's often thought that the little bit of power tube saturation is what gives metal tones the "whoomph" though that most distortion pedals lack. I've seen a lot of demos of pedals and modelers that don't sound great normally but into a good tube power amp at low saturation sound miles better. Keep in mind having power tubes at all will effect the tone and generally those amps in of themselves will be turned up pretty loud, so they will get some saturation regardless.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
It's often thought that the little bit of power tube saturation is what gives metal tones the "whoomph"

that's what the cab emulator is for, apparently .
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Seriously guys, cab or half stack?
Cab seems more logical, but I'm sure a lot of us love the sheer sight of a stack of ANY kind!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
I'd personally say the head and a decent cab.

Generally i'd choose a nice 1x12 or even 2x12 (if your dorm room is big enough/you want something that you can be easily portable).

On Thomann a Harley Benton (cheap brand admittedly, but solid construction) with Vintage 30's for £162

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Line 6 POD of some sort with monitor headphones is a good idea I'd say.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by sTarbuck
do venues with a PA set up usually have the equipment to mic it up themselves?

Any place that calls itself a "venue" has almost certainly got the ablility to mic you, but it's no harm to have a mic yourself anyway if you can afford to buy one too.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
I used a 50 watt when i was in halls at uni, but they complain when you play acoustic so you might as well just give them something proper to complain about.