I'm making a bass at the moment but have hit an unforseen snag - due to a random error of scaling it would take a while for me to be able to fit two pickups onto the bass - the body is long enough but the 2nd pickup hits the electronics hole :'(
i was wondering what the main differences are between the sounds of a bass guitar with two pickups and one with only one. The pickups i have are not amazing but i will upgrade when i get some money - there some wilkinson humbucker style for 4 string. should the build go ok - (only my second attempt at making guitars though the first works well) - ill upgrade them which again brings up the question of what sounds best on its own if thats what i need to do.
That Mad English Child 0.o
Gear: -
Fender Stratocaster
Les Paul custom
Washburn Force 4
Rickenbacker 4003
Self-hand made Electric guitar
Self-hand made Bass
and a rubbish acoustic =)
2 pickups= more versatility, for the most part.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Depends where you place it.
The sustain would be marginally longer with one less pickup.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
not sure exactly where it can go - but i imagine i could get it to sit about 1/2 way between the neck and the bridge
Fender Stratocaster
Les Paul custom
Washburn Force 4
Rickenbacker 4003
Self-hand made Bass
What I would do personally is put it about 1/2 an inch closer to the neck than a standard bridge pickup.
Dunno why I felt the need to say that.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
personally i would put a trifecta of pickups but in this case i say to use two. you can have have serious tonal ability if you can put two pickups and have a toggle switch for them.
Hohner PJ-Bass
Fender P-Bass
Boss Bass Limiter Enhancer
Boss DS1
Beringher BXL3000

With me and my friends, if you can't name the artist or song name in the first 10 seconds, you're a waste of a human being.

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Just stick the humbucker in, i love single humbuckers and then put a coil switch in.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
on my BC rich i got 2 P-style pups with a pup blend and its rather versatile with an active eq.It can change its sound at the drop of a hat literally.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I would rather have a musicman humbucker with a 3 band eq rather than 2 jazz pickups with 1 tone knob, honestly
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
I would rather have a musicman humbucker with a 3 band eq rather than 2 jazz pickups with 1 tone knob, honestly

Take it one step further, have it wired up like a Sterling. And have the 3 band EQ, and the three way switch, with wired in parallel, coil tap, wired in series.

You can be plenty versatile with a single pickup.
TS, is your bass active or passive? would you use a blend knob or a pup switch? or just volume knobs? what kind of tone vol controls would you use?
no sir away a papaya war is on
thanks for the info guys =)
Fender Stratocaster
Les Paul custom
Washburn Force 4
Rickenbacker 4003
Self-hand made Bass