Hi, I was tryiing to get some advice about choosing new pickups for my guitar on another thread but it gets too crowded that way so I'm starting a new thread.

My guitar: Jackson DX10D alder body and rosewood neck. It has 2 duncan design 103B humbuckers at the bridge and neck position. And as you know, they suck. It sounded ok when I first bought them but after a while (like 2 years) I've really got sick of it.

My amp: Line 6 Flextone III 75W

I'm looking more of a modern thrash/groove/experimental sound but I like diversities and I play jazz and rock too. Still, in distortion I definitely want a sound like eXodus (Like in Atrocity of Exhibition) or Meshuggah (like in Obzen - I know they use a 7 string guitar-) or Gojira (Like in From Mars To Sirius)... You know what I mean. I most def don't want a 80 old school thrash sound.

The pickups I've heard and liked so far are:

- Seymour Duncan HB-5 Custom (also known as TB-5): it has a really sweet distortion and a nice warm clean tone.

-SH-13 Dimebucker (Duncan) : Very very nice high pickup. Wonderful distortion but if you ask me, horrible, horrible clean tone. It's way too bright at clean. Lacks character if you ask me. Still, very nice design.

-Duncan SH-8 Invader: A little muddy at distortion but I like the tone. Clean though, is way too muddy.

-Dimarzio X2N : Very nice distortion, simply dark and sounds right. Haven't heard clean tone but still I like it. Also very nice design.

-DiMarzio Evolution: I don't really know about this one. For the neck maybe it would go very well...

the thing is, I will probably not use the clean tone at the bridge position. I use the neck for that because that way I get a warmer tone. But it doesn't have to be that way. I am always open for new suggestions because I am really confused at this moment and cannot choose.

What would you prefer?
does really nobody have an idea? I want to buy new pickups as soon as possible...
Pickup tone is so subjective, its hard for someone to pick what is good for you.

All of the pickups you selected are good, but very different.

I suggest going to DiMarzio's website, and choosing the pickup selector. It'll suggest some pickups based on what you play/have.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
well ofcourse its subjective. And as I've mentioned above, I've listened to them but the problem is, I don't have any experience with changing pickups. So I'm not sure if they are the right choice. I wrote what kind of sound I'd like to get and what I've tried so far and heard... But I don't know if I'll get the same results with my guitar and amp. So I'm asking you, who has at least a little more experience with these kind of stuff, what would be the best under these circumstances..
if you want a change in tone, get a new amp, pickups only effect about 10% ish of your tone?? not too sure
but if you are looking for better tone, look at a new amp
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
10% is still 10% and I'm happy with my amp's tone. The problem is with the pickups. They lack the soul I'm looking for. It sounds too plastic...
Besides, I have a guitar port and and a Flextone so I know that I can make most of these sounds (at least close to it) but still, pickups have some major effect too...
Well, I believe it's more than 10%

Anyway, for that kind of sound also check out SD Blackouts, BKP Warpigs (expensive, but the last u'll ever buy :P )
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
since you play some jazzier things, look for jazz pups. leave the neck pup a little lower and the bridge pup a little closer to the strings. This will give you warm cleans (neck position) and still provide some decent gainy sounds (bridge position)

your list of pups is far too long for me to read which are jazz... so... pick the jazzier ones...
Quote by Aunvre
10% is still 10% and I'm happy with my amp's tone. The problem is with the pickups. They lack the soul I'm looking for. It sounds too plastic...
Besides, I have a guitar port and and a Flextone so I know that I can make most of these sounds (at least close to it) but still, pickups have some major effect too...

Recently I bought some new pickups and before I made my choice I tried out different guitars which had different pickups in. Personally I'd say they account for more than 10% of tone, they made a really big difference to the sound I was getting through the same amp in the shop

With stock Epi LP Standard pickups the tone sounded weak and the high E string sounded icy thin and really awful. Changed to a custom guitar they had with some Dimarzio pups (PAF and an X2N i think) in and it got much warmer and the fuller, the improvement in tone was infinitely better to my ears

In the end I tried the Tone Zone and Air Norton and I bought them because they sounded amazing and suited my needs perfectly

Thats just my limited experience of course, but I can only talk about my experience on it. So I'd highly recommend changing stock pickups to anyone who has a decent amp and a cheap/copy guitar, not the other way around though
what if I combine two different brands? Like X2N for the bridge and SH-2 Jazz (Seymour Duncan) for the neck?
using 2 different pups for different sounds is common (my bandmate has 3 different in his strat)... I say go for it!
You sound like you need a rather versatile pickup combination. The tried and true Duncan JB/Jazz just might be what you need. If you were after a darker tone, I'd recommend the Tone Zone/Air Norton set from DiMarzio (or perhaps the Breeds). Both the JB and TZ have a bit of "80's" vibe to them IMO, but how it sounds is largely gonna be based on your amp and amp settings.