So what is the best and most efficient way to get the most out of your practice?
I've been playing for 2,5 years now. I have improved alot. But currently i feel like i need to change something in my practice routine.
My usual practice routine:
i have 2 of em

1st:
Warmup 15 min
Play some songs 30 min
Improvise/phrasing 30 min (maybe more)
brake 15 min
Technical side 1 - 1,5 hours

2nd:
Warmup 15 min
Play songs 30 min
brake 15 min
Learn some songs slowly, bit by bit 30 min
Read standard notation 15 - 30 min
and some picking 30 min

(Sometimes i mix em up, the 1st and 2nd)

Should i change something?
I also do ear training when i have free time at www.musictheory.net
and sometimes i write songs when ideas pop into my head

Thank you
You forgot to add "Have Fun" in there :P
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991

Having a routine makes me bored
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by Anthony1991

haha XD
sorry i have fun all the time when playing
Same, i mean i have a basic outline, but other than that i just do what i want and enjoy it
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Ibarshall_X
haha XD
sorry i have fun all the time when playing

Lol i know im just not the kind of person who has a 'routine' after playing for about 3/4 years, im at that stage where i just have to keep practising to keep my skills tight and thats about it

But i am now learning piano, and i do have a basic routine for that so i can actually learn it :P
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Lol i know im just not the kind of person who has a 'routine' after playing for about 3/4 years, im at that stage where i just have to keep practising to keep my skills tight and thats about it

But i am now learning piano, and i do have a basic routine for that so i can actually learn it :P

i played the piano for 9 years
learning classical songs... thts the best way to get up your technique on the piano
but start with th easy ones
Quote by Ibarshall_X
So what is the best and most efficient way to get the most out of your practice?
I've been playing for 2,5 years now. I have improved alot. But currently i feel like i need to change something in my practice routine.
My usual practice routine:
i have 2 of em

1st:
Warmup 15 min
Play some songs 30 min
brake 15 min
Technical side 1 - 1,5 hours

2nd:
Warmup 15 min
Play songs 30 min
brake 15 min
Learn some songs slowly, bit by bit 30 min
Read standard notation 15 - 30 min
and some picking 30 min

(Sometimes i mix em up, the 1st and 2nd)

Should i change something?
I also do ear training when i have free time at www.musictheory.net
and sometimes i write songs when ideas pop into my head

Thank you

anyone?
A practice routine should evolve constantly as you progress as a musician. Warmup is always a good start but you need then to maintain skills you've gained and work on new skills\improving existing skills. Only you know what these skills are, because every musician will have different goals. If you haven't, I recommend setting yourself goals, then breaking them down into smaller goals that will help you achieve those larger goals. At the same time you need to realise that once you've decided on your routine for the day, it isn't set in stone. Adapt it as you go through so you make the most of your time.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
A practice routine should evolve constantly as you progress as a musician. Warmup is always a good start but you need then to maintain skills you've gained and work on new skills\improving existing skills. Only you know what these skills are, because every musician will have different goals. If you haven't, I recommend setting yourself goals, then breaking them down into smaller goals that will help you achieve those larger goals. At the same time you need to realise that once you've decided on your routine for the day, it isn't set in stone. Adapt it as you go through so you make the most of your time.

This man speaks truth.

I've been learning chopin etc on the piano, alongside muse - space dementia xD A nice mix i think :P
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Myshadow46_2

I have my goals...
so ur saying i should practice different things every day?
The most efficient, is in how you practice, not just what you practice. Take everything and go slow - you'll learn it faster, and more precise, because when the brain and muscle memory kick in, the fact that you took it slow and steady, will make a huge difference, time wise, as far as progressing in material.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Ibarshall_X
I have my goals...
so ur saying i should practice different things every day?

No, I'm saying you should practice what you need to practice to maintain your skills and meet your goals. This could mean practicing with the same routine for a period of time, or having a number of different routines that each focus on a skill that will help you achieve a larger goal. It depend on what you want to achieve.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
No, I'm saying you should practice what you need to practice to maintain your skills and meet your goals. This could mean practicing with the same routine for a period of time, or having a number of different routines that each focus on a skill that will help you achieve a larger goal. It depend on what you want to achieve.

oh
well im doing that ^^

so i should just go with the flow...
let myself decide what i need to do ye?
I'm at music college and do a guitar course. My practice routine is quite structured however it does change depending on areas i need to focus on more.

Also don't make any of your routines longer than 20 minutes without a short break, the mind tends to wander after about 20 minutes or so. If you have a short amount of focused practice you will progress much faster than an hour of meandering around it. The trick is to try and catch yourself losing focus, if your mind suddenly thinks about ANYTHING else then you have lost focus, take a short break like get a drink or stretch etc.

Another thing is to do the things you dislike doing first, for example i really don't like sight reading. So I do that right after i warmup. Leave playing songs / improv until last as it's generally what people enjoy most.
well most of my practice has always been playing. i would just either jam out by myself or play along with a CD or my ipod. a huge part of my practice is improv because i feel its the most important thing to practice.

i do have a bit of a routine i like to do though. its basically a warm up, followed by about 30mins of pentatonic sequences and another 30 mins of diatonic sequences. this past fe weeks i havent been doing the routine much. ive been playing more. when im "just playing" though, i do focus on my technique and phrasing.

ive also started to dedicate some time to chord work. im working on being able to chord solo like eric johnson. but theres no set time really. i find if i have too much routine i get too bored.