Hey guys! At the moment the only electric guitar I have is a squire strat california series given to me by my dead grandmother, and it has plenty of sentimental value, so I don't want it stolen or damaged, so I was thinking about getting a shitty guitar 2nd hand off of TradeMe or something, and then giving it some decent pick-ups and using that one to the few gigs that I play at, to avoid damage to a guitar with plenty of sentimental value. What do you think? And what type of pick-ups do you reckon are decent, strat style ones (strat copies are always the cheapest and there are plenty of them.)

Thanks ahead!
Reid.
style of music? budget?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by rocknroll93
style of music? budget?

Um, thats a hard one.... I play heaps of genres: jazz, rock, punk, pop-punk, metal... but I guess live I only really play rock and pop-punk. My budget for the pick-ups might be around $50NZD (remembering that I'll pick up a good deal online) I'll buy the guitar without UG guidance but I need help choosing some decent (not flash) pick-ups.

Thanks for looking at the thread!
Last edited by reidhasguitar at Jan 6, 2010,
I think your best bet is to save up- even if you like the strat and wanted to upgrade to a mexican, you can get them used for around 300. I've never liked "cheaping" out on a guitar- you can always modify it but a good quality, solid base to work off of is great.
you know, i have a squier tele that i bought the day my grandfather died, which has a similar sort of sentimental value, but honestly i think you're better off saving for something better than what you already have, in the long run. Otherwise if you get something that's not as good, you'll probably find yourself just wanting to gig with your current strat anyway, making the cheaper one pretty much a redundant waste of money.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
plus strat copies may be the cheapest but they can have single coils or humbuckers etc, all depends what there routed for under the hood. youve got alooot of options man =]
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by sylphin
plus strat copies may be the cheapest but they can have single coils or humbuckers etc, all depends what there routed for under the hood. youve got alooot of options man =]

Haha! Not in New Zealand. If you search our trading site (TradeMe.co.nz) you'll find so many cheap strat copies with three single-coil pick-ups that you'll be overwelmed. And I've seen some new strat pickups available on there for $50NZD.

EDIT: Most of these cheap strats are like $50NZD at the most.
Last edited by reidhasguitar at Jan 5, 2010,