Ok so ive been playing for about 9 months now and only recently my right shoulder blade and left thunb joint has started to ache after playing. So is this just muscle/ stamina building or am i putting stress on them??? Like i say its only in the last week or so ive noticed it ..
Cheers Wils
It's hard to diagnose someone over the internet, and I'm not a doctor anyway, but I'd say you shouldn't be experiencing the pain. Take a look at your posture and the amount of tension in your body when you play. If you don't address the problem now you can end up with bigger problems down the road.
have you recent played more than normal? i just could be some tension like a workout that has been to heavy
I have been playing more than normal and i try not to tense my arms and thought i was doing good but i guess it could be that causing the aching. Its just strange as its started only recent and ive never had it b4.
Quote by wils07
Ok so ive been playing for about 9 months now and only recently my right shoulder blade and left thunb joint has started to ache after playing. So is this just muscle/ stamina building or am i putting stress on them??? Like i say its only in the last week or so ive noticed it ..
Cheers Wils

That is definitely not right (assuming that's your picking hand side), the shoulder should play NO part in playing so if you're aching there you're putting some stress on it which isn't right.

Also I would suggest that if your thumb is aching you're probably holding the pick a bit too hard so you might want to relax that a fair bit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Right shoulder and left thumb?

So your strumming shoulder and your picking thumb? This definitely sounds like a posture issue to me. Really pay attention to how you're sitting and holding the guitar. Make sure you are sitting relaxed and are not gripping the guitar so hard.
Quote by chainsawguitar
left thumb?

D'oh, missed that little detail.

Stop and have a look at where the power for your fretting comes from, you should be using the fingers to fret but it's a common beginner mistake to use the fretting hand thumb to bring the power you need instead of building finger strength.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
D'oh, missed that little detail.

Stop and have a look at where the power for your fretting comes from, you should be using the fingers to fret but it's a common beginner mistake to use the fretting hand thumb to bring the power you need instead of building finger strength.

I think your right i do tend to use my thumb to help pull my fingers towards the frets now this could be interesting.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Right shoulder and left thumb?

So your strumming shoulder and your picking thumb? This definitely sounds like a posture issue to me. Really pay attention to how you're sitting and holding the guitar. Make sure you are sitting relaxed and are not gripping the guitar so hard.

I tend to lean my right shoulder forward over the guitar and my back is usually not perfectly straight "should they both be straight?"
I guess im gonna need to spend a bit of time trying to find a way that is comfy for me b4 i get it to any bad habits.