Hey guys!
Ok, so I recently decided i wanted a Bugera 6262...
...but i am also scared off, because of the reliability. Apparently people are still having problems with amps, im not sure about the 6262 but it is still off-putting.
I am looking at starting to gig in the near future and i must get rid of my line 6 spider if i plan to do so. I would like to get a head and a 2x12 to start off but this is the unsure part. I have decided on a cab so i only need to get the amp.

The amps ive been looking at are:
Bugera 6262/ Peavey 6505+
Marshall JCM900/ Bugera 1990
Marshall DSL50/100
Marshall TSL60/100#
Marshall JVM205h/210h
Peavey Valveking with Mods

The only amps here i can try are the JVMs and JCM2000s but i can find the others easy enough further a field.
I would like a marshall tone but it is very expensive but i also play bullet for my valentine, van halen and love the gain of the 6505.
I play iron maiden, metallica, megadeth, bullet for my valentine, van halen, satch, steve vai, pantera, trivium, and other bands like these.

My problem is that I cant travel very far if i have to keep returning an amp for problems (if the Bugera is shoddy built) and that i only have £700 for my amp after i have bought the cab.

If anyone can suggest a better amp that would suit all my tastes please advise me. I would like the amp to:

Be all-tube
at least loud enough for keeping up in a band situation
can go 2nd hand
possibly can have the tubes pulled on a 100w amp?
reverb if possible
decent cleans and gain, so 2 channels at least.
able to do at least half of those bands up there well.

I'd prefer to have a marshall or the 6262/6505+ but all views are welcome

Thanks a lot guys and sorry for the huge wall of text

EDIT: I have decided on the Peavey 3120/XXX
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Jan 5, 2010,
Look up Randall like the 50w all tube head it's called RH50T.
Laney is also very good and high gain.
I'm must likely get a Marshall DSL 100 though.
I have never been able to bring myself to buy a Bugera...(not even the less-than-half-price V55 I found on CL that sounded amazing)...because of the horror stories I've read on the net and heard about from the local shops. Don't get me wrong...all of the Bugera line sounds amazing, and for the price they're hard to beat. I never gig without a backup...but I could never trust it as my only amp in any situation...so I've never bought one. If I were you, I'd look into a used Peavey 5150/II/6505/+ or XXX/Ultra/JSX/3120....I'd go with the second set of options if you need a good clean channel. Should fit your needs nicely.
Quote by Sharkjaw
Look up Randall like the 50w all tube head it's called RH50T.
Laney is also very good and high gain.
I'm must likely get a Marshall DSL 100 though.

Yeah liking them randalls there, have to look for a nearby dealer. As for the laneys i only seem to like the VH100 and that seem amazing also but again im going to have to look for the dealers of these.

As for the DSL if i want the 100w its going to have to be 2nd hand or save more for a new 1.

That randall sounds brutal but will it handle cleans well there isnt any decent clips on youtube anywhere.

Quote by eyebanez333
I have never been able to bring myself to buy a Bugera...(not even the less-than-half-price V55 I found on CL that sounded amazing)...because of the horror stories I've read on the net and heard about from the local shops. Don't get me wrong...all of the Bugera line sounds amazing, and for the price they're hard to beat. I never gig without a backup...but I could never trust it as my only amp in any situation...so I've never bought one. If I were you, I'd look into a used Peavey 5150/II/6505/+ or XXX/Ultra/JSX/3120....I'd go with the second set of options if you need a good clean channel. Should fit your needs nicely.

This is what worrys me about the Bugeras also.

as for the long list of peaveys which of those would be best for my style(s) of music, I especially like the JSX/6505+/5150II/XXX/3120 for some reason the original 6505s put me off but i like the rest.

Does anyone have a good word for marshall and a modded valveking? or not if thats the case?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
6505+ is great for heavy OD sounds, cleans are kinda lacking, but I heard if you tweak them right they can sound decent.

I think JSX/XXX/3120 would also be a good option for you.

The JCM 900 is also a nice amp, look if you can find an SL-X.

For metal I wouldn't recommend the DSL/TSL, the DSL is generally better but the only decent sounds I heard from it are its clean and crunch.

The JVM is very versatile but there are better amps in its price range.

I wouldn't get the Bugera, due to the quality issues.

And the modded ValveKing is not the best option, it's a polished budget amp, you would be better off with a better amp which sounds good without any mods.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
6505+ is great for heavy OD sounds, cleans are kinda lacking, but I heard if you tweak them right they can sound decent.

I think JSX/XXX/3120 would also be a good option for you.

The JCM 900 is also a nice amp, look if you can find an SL-X.

For metal I wouldn't recommend the DSL/TSL, the DSL is generally better but the only decent sounds I heard from it are its clean and crunch.

The JVM is very versatile but there are better amps in its price range.

I wouldn't get the Bugera, due to the quality issues.

And the modded ValveKing is not the best option, it's a polished budget amp, you would be better off with a better amp which sounds good without any mods.

Thanks a lot for the help

So it seems i shall have to go in search for the 4 peaveys and decide which is best. The 6505 and 3120 seem to attract me the most but thats probably just looks. The idea of having switching tubes in the JSX and 3120 is a nice little bonus. Can i pull the tubes and halve the wattage cos i heard some amps cant

Finally would changing the tubes get a better clean out of the 6505+?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
im in the same boat as you TS
mind if i tag along?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
im in the same boat as you TS
mind if i tag along?

Nah not in the same boat ive got a line 6 spider

if this thread will help you at all, (which it probably wont) sure tag along
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
cool
well ive got a blackstar HT5 but im after the same kind of amp you are for same styles too

ive seen a good deal on ebay for a few amps but im still not sure if i should get it but im gonna see what else happens in here if you dont mind

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
if you decide you like how the 3120 sounds...the Peavey XXX is basically the same amp, but with 6L6's coming stock...but you can switch the tubes in a XXX to EL34's and it will sound like the 3120 does. Some people don't like the trucker chick/diamond plate on the XXX...but you can take it off...or paint it black like I did
Quote by eyebanez333
if you decide you like how the 3120 sounds...the Peavey XXX is basically the same amp, but with 6L6's coming stock...but you can switch the tubes in a XXX to EL34's and it will sound like the 3120 does. Some people don't like the trucker chick/diamond plate on the XXX...but you can take it off...or paint it black like I did

So the only difference with the XXX and 3120s power tubes?

Is JSX the new XXX but with some tweaks of Satchs?

Im liking the cleans of the 3120 a lot but ive only heard rhythm on it at the moment, im a lead player so i would also need something to scream, would it still sound decent?

If not which of the 4 peaveys would be best for a lead player?

EDIT: to be honest i prefer the diamond plate of the XXX but they're really hard to find so i think its only going to be a 3120/JSX/6505+/3120 with 6l6s

EDIT 2: realised tread plate isnt what i thought it was, only like the proper treadplate like on mesas
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
So the only difference with the XXX and 3120s power tubes?

Is JSX the new XXX but with some tweaks of Satchs?

Im liking the cleans of the 3120 a lot but ive only heard rhythm on it at the moment, im a lead player so i would also need something to scream, would it still sound decent?

If not which of the 4 peaveys would be best for a lead player?

The 6505 has a great chunky rhythm tone...but can be decent for leads with an OD. The JSX has a few tweaks over the XXX, but the XXX and 3120 are the same except for the different power tubes coming from the factory (and different arrangements of controls on the front panel). The JSX/XXX/3120 are 3-channel amps too...and the cleans are way better than the 6505. I use the crunch channel most of the time for my rhythm tone...then use the solo channel for leads...usually add a touch more volume, more mids, and more gain (compared to the crunch channel) to get that extra bite for solos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcoInv0UeWE

3120 clips, might help you with your decision.
It's not the best quality but gives you an idea how the 3120/XXX sounds.

The JSX is Satch's signature model, based on the XXX.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcoInv0UeWE

3120 clips, might help you with your decision.
It's not the best quality but gives you an idea how the 3120/XXX sounds.

The JSX is Satch's signature model, based on the XXX.

Holy shit you really are jesus that sounds amazing for me even if the sound isnt the greatest

I think the Iron maiden bit might have won it for me, and the rest of it sounds amazing,

Thank you jesus, as i cannot get the XXX i think i shall save for one of these, i cant believe after that, that i really wanted that marshall dsl50 before i made this thread!!!!

Quote by eyebanez333
The 6505 has a great chunky rhythm tone...but can be decent for leads with an OD. The JSX has a few tweaks over the XXX, but the XXX and 3120 are the same except for the different power tubes coming from the factory (and different arrangements of controls on the front panel). The JSX/XXX/3120 are 3-channel amps too...and the cleans are way better than the 6505. I use the crunch channel most of the time for my rhythm tone...then use the solo channel for leads...usually add a touch more volume, more mids, and more gain (compared to the crunch channel) to get that extra bite for solos.

Yeah i think after JesusCrisp help, i want those 3 channels. I should be alright with this amp, it'll have enough gain for me
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Carrot
im not sure if i can post ebay links
but
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110477167231&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
XXX with cab buy it now £500

You know i'd love too but i havent got the money for it yet, i just wanted to know what i was saving for. I'll have to keep a look out and eventually buy it, i think my local shop brings in 2nd hand peaveys.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
Holy shit you really are jesus that sounds amazing for me even if the sound isnt the greatest

I think the Iron maiden bit might have won it for me, and the rest of it sounds amazing,

Thank you jesus, as i cannot get the XXX i think i shall save for one of these, i cant believe after that, that i really wanted that marshall dsl50 before i made this thread!!!

It's not my 3120 and I didn't record it but thanks.

The DSL is a nice amp for cleans and crunch, but the ultra gain channel is just trebly and fizzy.

Since the crunch mode has nice amount of bass, some people boost the crunch, so it can sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOwFHGl-SlM&feature=related

But since the crunch mode is on the clean channel and AFAIK not footswitchable it's unpractical for cleans.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
ahhh
i would of got that if i could, its an amazing deal for that

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by JesusCrisp
It's not my 3120 and I didn't record it but thanks.

The DSL is a nice amp for cleans and crunch, but the ultra gain channel is just trebly and fizzy.

Since the crunch mode has nice amount of bass, some people boost the crunch, so it can sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOwFHGl-SlM&feature=related

But since the crunch mode is on the clean channel and AFAIK not footswitchable it's unpractical for cleans.

I didnt mean that the 3120 was yours just that you found the clip,

as for the DSL that video has now changed my mind and 3 channels is much better than 2 with crunch

@Carrot i would love to buy that too!
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by eyebanez333
the XXX and 3120 are the same except for the different power tubes coming from the factory (and different arrangements of controls on the front panel).

And your entirely, 100% sure about this right?

If this is right I shall get the triple X, most likely put El34s or KT77s in instead of the 6L6s and then get an alternative diamond plate instead of the chickplate. Does anyone know where to get them cos ive seen them before?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I will say on the topic of clones vs real deal nothing beats the real thing.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
When it comes to Bugera's I honestly believe there is no discernible difference between the clones and the originals.

And when you take into account the huge price difference it's a no-brainer.
I have had a Bugera 1900 so far for about 7 months and i love it, no problems at all..i did hear stories of bugera's gone bad but have not heard any recently, i think they solved most of their problems..mine also came with a 2 year factory warranty so even if something was to break you'll be ok.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by riflesndaisies
And your entirely, 100% sure about this right?

If this is right I shall get the triple X, most likely put El34s or KT77s in instead of the 6L6s and then get an alternative diamond plate instead of the chickplate. Does anyone know where to get them cos ive seen them before?

Yeah its 100% the same amp. By 'arrangement' I meant that the XXX has different labels for the controls. I've always liked the trucker chicks painted flat black like I did on mine...but I've seen direct swap out face plates for the front of the XXX. Also seen people take the diamond plate off and do custom tolex work, or just put a grille over the front.
Quote by eyebanez333
Yeah its 100% the same amp. By 'arrangement' I meant that the XXX has different labels for the controls. I've always liked the trucker chicks painted flat black like I did on mine...but I've seen direct swap out face plates for the front of the XXX. Also seen people take the diamond plate off and do custom tolex work, or just put a grille over the front.

How much is this going to cost to sort out then because i really hate those trucker chicks it just seems too teenagery and immature (*cough*)

what does the XXX look like without the plate on is it just a black panel for putting stuff on or like a VK/3120 just the screws to put on the grill/plate?

Ive seen sharp concepts make diamond plate faces but im in the uk and it would be difficult to get one, how could i achieve the look of a diamond plate panel with XXX cut out of it with some LEDs behind it in either red or blue, i just like the look of LEDs.

My ideas sorta like this carvin V3:
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Jan 7, 2010,
theres a wood panel behind the diamond plate. all the front plate replacements that I've seen have been from the US too.
Quote by eyebanez333
theres a wood panel behind the diamond plate. all the front plate replacements that I've seen have been from the US too.

^^ anyway to be able to sort this out? could i cut part of the panel where the LEDs would be?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
^^ anyway to be able to sort this out? could i cut part of the panel where the LEDs would be?

You could cut/remove that panel. And then have a grille made for it, putting LEDs behind it. It can be done. It's just a matter of having the skills to do it yourself, or the money to pay someone else to do it
Quote by eyebanez333
You could cut/remove that panel. And then have a grille made for it, putting LEDs behind it. It can be done. It's just a matter of having the skills to do it yourself, or the money to pay someone else to do it

Found this JSX picture, wasnt modded but has the same effect

reckon i could get a peavey badge for the middle of a massive X?

So in the end does anyone think this would be a worthy mod?

A peavey triple X with a metal plate with an X hole in it, with a peavey badge behind it , then some leds behind a grill? What grill and led colour guys?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
I will say on the topic of clones vs real deal nothing beats the real thing.

O Rly?

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
O Rly?
bassman
JTM

^

Quote by riflesndaisies
Found this JSX picture, wasnt modded but has the same effect

reckon i could get a peavey badge for the middle of a massive X?

So in the end does anyone think this would be a worthy mod?

A peavey triple X with a metal plate with an X hole in it, with a peavey badge behind it , then some leds behind a grill? What grill and led colour guys?

Like I said, it can be done. But, since you live outside of the US, and most custom grille companies I've found are here in the states, it might cost a bit unless you can fabricate one yourself.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333

Like I said, it can be done. But, since you live outside of the US, and most custom grille companies I've found are here in the states, it might cost a bit unless you can fabricate one yourself.

Cant see that picture for some reason, any chance of anyone taking the grill off a 6505/VK that i can use on the Triple X i just love thew JSXs look.

If this isnt possible can anyone thing of another way to use leds with the XXX and maybe incorporate a new Faceplate, new grill?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
Cant see that picture for some reason, any chance of anyone taking the grill off a 6505/VK that i can use on the Triple X i just love thew JSXs look.

If this isnt possible can anyone thing of another way to use leds with the XXX and maybe incorporate a new Faceplate, new grill?

The photobucket account that has my 'icwhatudidthar' owl is gone

If you want to be able to see inside the amp with the LEDs like the JSX...you're going to have to do something about that panel that the diamond plate mounts too on the XXX. Even with the diamond plate off...you still can't see into the amp with it on there. You could always just cut the panel, get some grille material off ebay, some LEDs for the insde...it will be a wide open front without a logo but will still look cool if you ask me. But it won't have a logo...unless you cut the XXX logo out of the original diamond plate that came with the XXX. Not sure about the other amps' grille sizes...they might have to be cut to fit. After all this trouble...it might be cheaper just to buy the JSX head instead
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
If you want to be able to see inside the amp with the LEDs like the JSX...you're going to have to do something about that panel that the diamond plate mounts too on the XXX. Even with the diamond plate off...you still can't see into the amp with it on there. You could always just cut the panel, get some grille material off ebay, some LEDs for the insde...it will be a wide open front without a logo but will still look cool if you ask me. But it won't have a logo...unless you cut the XXX logo out of the original diamond plate that came with the XXX. Not sure about the other amps' grille sizes...they might have to be cut to fit. After all this trouble...it might be cheaper just to buy the JSX head instead

The grille material is only going behind the diamond plate so it will not matter if it isnt an actuall grille made for an amp right? What shape material is used normally. I mean the design of the grill.

could i just cut a hole in the wood panel that mounts the plate the put the grill material on the hole or would i be best covering the whole front with the grill?

Ill try and put up a picture (even if its very dodgy) to show you what i would like to acheive
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
Ill try and put up a picture (even if its very dodgy) to show you what i would like to acheive

pics could help
Quote by eyebanez333
pics could help

Shoddy picture on profile now, i think its quite good IMO but i would like others honest views. I couldnt put the effect of LEDs in the amp though, its only been done on paint
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
eyebanez, ive found plenty of sites that sell honeycomb mesh for radiaters in cars would this do? i no where to get the diamond plate, just need some good quality red LEDs any recs? What should i use for the badge on it i cant seam to find peavey logos anywhere and i dont fancy chopping up the triple X logo?

So anyway what does anyone think of my mock up picture on my profile?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
can't see the pic because your profile is private...

you could make another thread asking specifically about your current question (the XXX grille) because a lot of people aren't going to post in here because the title isn't relevant to our discussion anymore

anyway...theres a lot of things you can use for grille-like material.
Quote by eyebanez333
can't see the pic because your profile is private...

you could make another thread asking specifically about your current question (the XXX grille) because a lot of people aren't going to post in here because the title isn't relevant to our discussion anymore

anyway...theres a lot of things you can use for grille-like material.

changed profile now,

should i post this question in the gb&c or here because i only need views and where i can get the materials from

EDIT: can get the mesh/grill for about £7 for 20cm X 62.5cm this should be enough for the grill right?

The LEDs i can get for about £36 at maximum for either 2 7inch or 2 12inch red bar lights

The diamond plate i havent looked for but it shoudnt be too hard to find, but how many bar plate should i get 1-, 3- or 5-bar diamond plate?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50