One for sale locally and I'm wondering if it's priced right. It is sunburst, and has typical wear associated with being a nearly 40 year old guitar.

thanks!
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
under $1000
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
copy and post the pic if you don't want to add the link.

just for better idea. headstock shots too if you've got them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
no pics...i'm going to have to see it in person to get the scoop. he does have the original receipt, fwiw.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
It's considered a Norlin Era Gibson Norlin bought Gibson in 69 I do believe. The Les Paul body was changed from a one piece mahogany with a maple top into multiple slabs of mahogany with multiple pieced maple tops (also called a pancake body or sandwich body), neck volute and three-piece maple necks) they do not seem to bring a lot of money other era Gibsons do and IMHO they are not up there in tone with other Les Pauls. I have seen Norlin Era LPs go as little as $700 and as high as $1800 depending on several variations, color and condition.

John

PS: In my experience the neck volute can vary in size and shape in every model.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 5, 2010,
First of all, there is absolutely NO WAY it is a Standard from 1972, as they were reintroduced in 1974. Up until then, the production line consisted of Customs and Deluxes (I should know, take a look at my sig). It's far more likely that it's a Deluxe re-routed for humbuckers, with a "standard" truss rod cover. Beware!
Second, if you do get a chance to try it in person before buying, I suggest bringing up the matter of the date and make of guitar with the seller, and possibly getting some quality pics for us to identify before doing anything.
Third and finally, if you do like the guitar's tone after everything else is cleared up, then do not listen to nay-sayers that cry "ITZ TEH NORLINZ, THEY SUCKZORZ!!!!11!!1". Tone is subjective.

Zooedit: I just noticed I forgot to mention prices: If it's a re-routed deluxe, then THE MOST you should pay is 1200$, and that's only if it's in pristne condition otherwise.
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Last edited by Zooropean11 at Jan 5, 2010,
yeah, I was just looking at 72-73's on ebay to get a price idea, and I could only find Deluxe's and Custom's.

What would the benefit be of putting a "standard" truss rod cover on it, even if it had been routed for humbuckers.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
yeah, I was just looking at 72-73's on ebay to get a price idea, and I could only find Deluxe's and Custom's.

What would the benefit be of putting a "standard" truss rod cover on it, even if it had been routed for humbuckers.

You've never heard of the word "scam" it seems. The guy could be trying to pass off a less valuable guitar as one that's more valuable. The 1974 reissue standards are somewhat of a rarity, with prices going up to even 4000$. In fact, if I'm not wrong about the numbers, there's been a steady (by about 15%) rise in price for these models in the last decade or so.

So it would only be natural for someone to try and scam you into thinking: "hey, it's a 1972 Standard! That's got to be valuable".
On the other hand, however, you say the price doesn't exceed 1000$. That's what's troubling me. Possibly fake? I can't tell unless you get some pictures for us to drool over.....er, excuse me, examine.
My Signal Chain:

Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

OK...I'll try to get some pictures to post up here. Would the serial number be of help determining what it "really" is? I realize those can be forged too, but still.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
OK...I'll try to get some pictures to post up here. Would the serial number be of help determining what it "really" is? I realize those can be forged too, but still.

Serial number are, at best, sketchy from this period. I can't tell if my own Custom is a '74 or '75!

I'm not saying it is certainly, without a doubt, fake. That's just one of a dozen explanations. Just make sure you get good-quality pics of the Headstock front and back, the Bridge and Tailpiece, and, strange as it may seem, the sides of the body, so we can tell if there's a pancake body. You should be able to tell: You'll see a thin strip of wood running horizontally in between the two mahogany pieces that make up the body.
My Signal Chain:

Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

I overlooked the Standard part! DOH! It's possible the truss rod cover was lost and they got what ever they could find or it was on the guitar when this owner got it and doesn't realize it's not correct then again the owner could be trying to pull something in order to get a few more bucks. Pics and serial numbers will help greatly. I myself was never a big fan of Norlin Era Gibsons when I was collecting Gibsons I stayed away from them 90% of the time I tried to buy pre 69 and some newer 80s Gibby's if it's real and you like it that's all that counts.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I myself was never a big fan of Norlin Era Gibsons when I was collecting Gibsons I stayed away from them 90% of the time I tried to buy pre 69 and some newer 80s Gibby's if it's real and you like it that's all that counts.

In my, admittedly limited, experience, there are good guitars, so-so guitars, and true stinkers from all eras, I just happened to be lucky in that the Norlin Les Paul I tried out "spoke to me", so to speak.

I'd love to hear a few of your stories about collecting Gibsons, if your care to indulge!
My Signal Chain:

Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

I really do not want to highjack this thread but I would be happy to PM you.

John