Hey guys
My play style is mainly heavy stuff , Lamb of god , Metallica etc.
My current strings are really light , so when i goto drop d the string is flapping around lots xD
So wondering if anyone uses these kind of strings , 52 on low e and 10 on high e etc so the low e string doesn't flap around in drop tunings.
These are the ones :
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rotosound-nickel-10-52-blue/3614

Anyone use something simlar that could vouche for them?
right gauge for what u want but i wouldnt get rotosound...ive found they dont last half as long as any other make.
i use d'addario heavy bottom light top.... i think these would suit u alot gauge 10s or 11s i have 10s now and they are great but i might go for 11s next time
never played rotosounds. I don't think i've ever even seen them at the stores around here. I'm sure they're fine, though. and it's always good to experiment with different brands.

that gauge seems a pretty good choice, although a bit on the heavy side for my tastes. there are several brands that make 'light top/ heavy bottom" sets that are similar, so try a few different brands to find what you like.
Ah cool cheers people
What are the advantages and disadvantages of going from 46 on bottom e to 52?
Will you loose any speed etc?
Cheers!
Quote by Zoofie
Ah cool cheers people
What are the advantages and disadvantages of going from 46 on bottom e to 52?
Will you loose any speed etc?
Cheers!

If anything the thicker string will make the a little tighter thus making it easier to gain speed, although the higher tension makes bending harder but at 10's bending is still a breeze. Imo bending doesnt become a problem until you start to get 12's and even then it's not overlly difficult but I would get either Ernie Ball or Elixirs.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I use Ernie Ball's Heavy Bottom Skinny Top. Going from Light strings, bending strings was more difficult, but it the increase in difficulty helps train your fingers better, imo.

Brand names are just that - brands. You should feel free to try out anything that's most convienient to get.
Ernie ball 10-52's here, playing DGCFAD and all is well, stand up to trem abuse, never break literally, the higher tension on the 52 makes gallops easier and gives a bit more bottom end chug to your playing too.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Going from very light to Ernie Beefy's is a big step, especially if you only go down to drop D.

You'll get plenty of tension with 10, no need for 11.
Ernie Ball STHB work for pretty much every conceivable tuning.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Thanks very much!
So also i guess with STHB its easier to do heavy riffs on the bottom e etc , Master of Puppets for example :P?
?

CHeers!
Just to make sure , my new has the factory strings on which are really light and 'flimsy' feeling but the worst thing , when im in drop d frez buzz is huge.
How much will i have to go up to gauge wise for no fret buzz?

Cheers
Well with thicker gauge strings, you're raising the action because of increased tension. Buzzing strings may be a sign that your guitar is not setup properly. You may allieviate this with thicker strings, but buzzing could be caused by other issues. If you have an expensive guitar, or are anal about doing things the "correct" way, you may want to get your guitar set up professionally after switching out the strings.

I would say you'll enjoy playing metal more with thicker strings. You get a fatter tone as well.
Is the reason behind the increased action because the tenser strings are 'bowing' the neck?

Cheers
I've got 13s with a 56 on E, i have a really fat deep tone with them, great for throbbing riffs and pretty fast action too. You need fingers like Thors hammer to do any bends but you get used to it after a while
Blinded by the exertions of man
I stumble through the haze of modern malfunctions

Dropping myself into darkness
Mine are ernie ball's i do believe

Wow :O
13 on high e :O Really high gauge on upper strings would be alright as you don't need to bend as much as the lower 3 strings. So maybe Skinny top Heavy bottom or something like that would be better :P
Wonder if 10/46 would be ok for drop d
Quote by Major Bob
I've got 13s with a 56 on E, i have a really fat deep tone with them, great for throbbing riffs and pretty fast action too. You need fingers like Thors hammer to do any bends but you get used to it after a while

I had 13-65 or something and I haven't yet played that good as I did then. These pwned. Yeah, your fingers have to be very strong, but you will get used to it quickly.

I'm interested in coated strings. What coating do you suggest?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=coated_strings_for_electric_guitar&oa=pra
And what are flatwound strings?
Last edited by Amarant at Jan 5, 2010,
13 on the low e....

And yeah, that's pretty thick. What kind are those Bob?

Thicker strings = higher tension = slight bow of the neck = higher action

I play in Drop B sometimes and Ernie Ball's Heavy Bottom Skinny Top work well. You will definately notice much tighter strings in Drop D. 10/46 should be fine.
Might seem like an utter noob here.
But you can still bend with 13 gauge? After awile of getting used to them.

And you can adjust the truss rod when using heavier strings to reverse the bow a bit?
Yes you can. But you are gonna have a hell of time doing it considering you are new and used to light strings. Do not get 13's would be my advice. Maybe if you plan on downtuning a whole two steps or something.

Drop D with 13's would be stupid tight. Tight enough to really bow your neck I would think considering it's been set up at the factory with light strings.

Seriously, just get Ernie ball HBST. Strings are cheap. Get a few different packs if you are really that courageous and find out for yourself what works.
Putting my 13's on i had to do major truss rod adjustments and re-set the intonation. For a beginner its not a good idea to go straight, your fingers are no where near strong enough and you'll find it very difficult to play. I've had my guitar set up properly and conditioned myself to the heavier strings.

Kk cheers man , and just one more (honestly) , heavy bottom strings are ok though?
For metal i mean.
wow, they should not be flapping if you're only at drop D with .10's
I had 9-42's on my strat and it didnt start getting floppy until i got to about B standard.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
They are 9's im using that are flapping at drop d
Does that explain it more?
Quote by Zoofie
They are 9's im using that are flapping at drop d
Does that explain it more?

thats crazy, is it like a baritone guitar, because that might be the problem hahaha

but seriously, thats weird, they shouldnt be flapping around that much if you're only at drop D, that isnt low at all.

Edit: what kind of guitar do you have...because i was half joking on the baritone guitar thing....If it actually is, then thats the problem....if not, could you make a video showing how much they are flopping around?
because like i've said, they should NOT, be flopping around at that high of a tuning.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Concat

Thicker strings = higher tension = slight bow of the neck = higher action

If set up right this shouldn´t be true.
I know man its really annoying me as i have done quite a bit of setting up myself.
From alot of help from Jen (a great help in setting up guitars) i adjusted my truss rod so their it a slight bit of relief.
Still not sure on action yet as not sure how high i can get strings without buzzing but still not being a pain to play.
Its mainly on the first frets the buzzing occurs , which is normally a sign of not enough relief in the neck?!?!? :O Hmmmmmm

EDIT : Its this guitar http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2009/ART300_BNC_12_01.gif