Hello all!
Anyways in February the local music institute (or whatever it is in english) is recruiting new talents and I missed it last year so now im back with revenge . Anyways I dont really have any idea of what song I should play at the audition... I am one of those guys that know tons of bits of different songs, but not many from beginning to end so I dont really have any "impressive" song polished and ready to be played. One thing is for sure though, I will play it on an electric guitar, because my accoustic is really hard-played. I'm not really the fastest shredder around (although Im working on it ), but I can play fairly fast. For example I can play The Trooper, the verses and intro to Crazy Train (havent bothered to learn the rest), Fade to Black. I don't know the solos to any of these (except the short one in the beginning of Fade to Black), but maybe with a little practice I could make an easier version?
So any ideas? Oh, and I cant sing when I play so keep that in mind too. I mainly play rock and blues and am fairly good at improvising (espescially in blues). My stronger techniques include: legato, vibrato & bending, alt. picking. My weaker ones are: sweep picking, palm muting, pinch harmonics.
Oh, and btw, I dont own a whammy bar.

Thankful for answers
//Muffinz
why not play an original that you wrote yourself? I would assume that they would much rather someone perform original material so that they can see your ability to compose music.
if youre good at blues and improvising why dont you play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" by SRV. one of my friends played that song for an audition as an instrumental and was succesful. its also good if you want to improvise. I would probably go with that one
I stopped at where you said that youre working on your speed to tell you again...

!!!SPEED IS NOT EVERYTHING!!!
do you see those blues guys shredding? no.
are they good? why, Yes they are!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Find one from a grade book. Its easier for them to judge your ability, cos the pieces are already graded, and you get a backing CD with them. I used the rockschool grade books for my uni auditions, and i passed them
Quote by Kozlic
I stopped at where you said that youre working on your speed to tell you again...

It never harms to be able to do speedy runs too. Speed isn't everything, but it sure is a great tool to posses.

If you're into Blues and stuff, maybe you could try Little Wing? What songs were you thinking of yourself?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
It never harms to be able to do speedy runs too. Speed isn't everything, but it sure is a great tool to posses.

If you're into Blues and stuff, maybe you could try Little Wing? What songs were you thinking of yourself?

yeah that's what I tried to say.
It won't harm ya but you can be even better if you play slow...like blues or jazz or something.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Neil Zaza - I'm alright

Maybe you can use the backing track made by this "Canon rock" guy... just google it!
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Best to find a song that really touches you, otherwise it'll be hard to find the dedication to stick to it and learn it all the way through.

Also writing your own thing would be good, but if your not quite at that level yet try picking a song which shows off a few different techniques and something that isn't over played. No doubt the instructors/ lecturers won't want to hear the same song over and over again.

Look at some BB King/ Muddy waters/ Eric Clapton style blues music if your really into blues and like to improvise. Blues Boys Tune is a good song by BB king.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Hadeed
why not play an original that you wrote yourself? I would assume that they would much rather someone perform original material so that they can see your ability to compose music.

Well, I'm sure they would, but since I dont really have a good "ability to compose music" this wont work

Quote by ErnestoFidel
if youre good at blues and improvising why dont you play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" by SRV. one of my friends played that song for an audition as an instrumental and was succesful. its also good if you want to improvise. I would probably go with that one

Thats actually a REALLY good idea! Thanks man I just might do that

Quote by time_for_food

Find one from a grade book. Its easier for them to judge your ability, cos the pieces are already graded, and you get a backing CD with them. I used the rockschool grade books for my uni auditions, and i passed them

And where can I find one of these "grade books" that you speak of?

Keep the good answers coming!
Last edited by Muffinz at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Kozlic

Indeed, speed is not everything but i have to disagree with what you said.
Know Joe Bonamassa, he plays real tatsty licks, but he shreds too.
It's just a nice tool to have under your belt.

That aside. You could just pick a basic blues progression and sing and improvise.
A lot of Hendrix stuff is great too
Enter Sandman, Master Of Puppets, Cowboys From Hell, The Unforgiven, Cemetery Gates or Fear Of The Dark.
Quote by Reeen
Neil Zaza - I'm alright

Maybe you can use the backing track made by this "Canon rock" guy... just google it!

Wow man! I can't believe I've never heard that one before . I would without doubt play it if not for that ultra-fast part quite near the end. Oh, how I wish that I would some day be able to play that . Hmmm, maybe I can find a way to skip that part or make it easier. Anyways, thanks for the tip, really great song!

Quote by ItWillDo

Hmm, well I've not really that much of a Hendrix fan. I hadn't really thought that much of it since I just realized it today, but my first thought was Texas Flood or Fade to Black, but the answers here has been alot better. Atm, I'm thinking of Mary Had a Little Lamb by SRV or I'm Allright by Neil Zaza
then leave the fast parts of "I'm alright" out and improvise over this section
C4C?

Quote by Reeen
then leave the fast parts of "I'm alright" out and improvise over this section

You know, I might just do that! Right now its between SRV's Mary Had a Little Lamb , which I think will be easier to play, and I'm Alright, which I think sounds cooler, but might be a disaster if you don't get it perfectly clean so I will look up the tabs for these and see which one that seems more possible and then I'll take that one
It's not that hard and it's so much fun to play because it's not only fast shred.

Also check out something like "Ammersee" by Daita (Ex siam shade guitarist). Maybe this can also be some inspiration...
C4C?