Hi, I'm a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate and this semester we have to design a product and my wandering mind settled on the topic of Guitar Hard Case. Specifically, I'm thinking of designing a case that will be more resistant to rough handling during air travel (inspire by United Breaks Guitars vid). We'll be modeling the design in CAD softwares and running Finite Element Tests such as impact testing (hopefully).

Since I never owned a hard case before, I'll turn to the experts. So what do you guys think are the features that a good, rugged hard case should have? Or something you always wished your faithful ole container can do or withstand.

Thanks in advance!
good clasps/hinges, i hate whenn they get bent and it gets off track
They think they know who I am....all they know is I love to kill.
Considering they make metal touring cases that every traveling band in the world uses... I think your idea is a bit flawed.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Last edited by nebiru at Jan 5, 2010,
wheels. And a 2-stroke engine, so you can drive it around the airport because you're flight's delayed and you need something to do.
Made of adamantium, for that extra security.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by nebiru
Considering they make metal touring cases that every traveling band in the world uses... I think your idea is a bit flawed.

Oh, no, another dead idea... but I think the lecturer is fine with modifying an existing idea. Anyway, I really doubt that he's even seen such a touring case.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
You ever seen a Samsonite suitcase? If you can make a guitar case like one of those, you'll probably be onto something.

Thermoplastics is an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion. The good thing is we don't need to make a prototype at all, everything is conceptual and on computer models.
Also, to make it extra rugged, it should have about 3 days growth of stubble, on a prominent and manly chin. A bit like Bruce Campbell's.
Quote by MightyAl
Also, to make it extra rugged, it should have about 3 days growth of stubble, on a prominent and manly chin. A bit like Bruce Campbell's.

Quote by MightyAl
wheels. And a 2-stroke engine, so you can drive it around the airport because you're flight's delayed and you need something to do.

This seriously made me laugh for some reason

I guess a good case would be tough on the outside and soft and secure on the inside, with not a lot of room for the guitar to shake about in. You also need some compartments inside the case to store other stuff like cables and picks etc.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Carbon fibre infused with fibreglass which is marinated in the blood of 1 goat, 3 lambs and a small Albanian child for 1.7 years, then It must be crafted into a sword where it must slay 10,000 Chinese communist oppressors within the timespan of 10 years. After which period, it must be cleansed with 2 gallons of your own blood (collected over time of course).
Then you must travel to the very bowels of hell itself and gather 6 toenails from Cerberus and a handful of hair from Satan's legs. Once these have been gathered you must then visit r'lyeh and gather 3 small tendrils from Cthulhu and return to your home alive.

Then what you need to do, is go back to your old job (If they will re-hire you [which they will after they hear about your epic tale]) gather some cash and buy one of these.
http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Stagg-Aluminium-Electric-Guitar-Flight-Case/

Enjoy your carbon fibre/fibreglass doom sword btw.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄