Is there anything apart from gauge that makes strings sit more tightly on the neck. I have a short scale (66 mustang) and have 11s on it, but it still seems a bit limp to me. What can I do other than move to thicker strings? Is there anything else I can do with strings?

thanks.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
Tune them higher.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Tune them higher.

other than this.
sorry, i was talking about keeping it in standard.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
What have you got it tuned to? cos i wouldn't describe 11's at concert pitch as being limp.....

unless i've totally got the wrong end of the stick...........

which is probable lol
[
Last edited by Skuzzmo at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Skuzzmo
What have you got it tuned to? cos i wouldn't describe 11's at concert pitch as being limp.....

unless i've totally got the wrong end of the stick...........

which is probable lol

EADGBE....
short scale remember. so, strings are always looser. i played 9s when i played longer scales, but i had to adjust when i changed.
wow i find 10's to be too tight in standard on my G&L tele. this is weird
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Nothing you can do other than get thicker strings. .011's are pretty thick for a full scale(around 24-25.5 inches) guitar. I'm guessing you mean 3/4 scale buy "short scale."
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by crofty191
EADGBE....
short scale remember. so, strings are always looser. i played 9s when i played longer scales, but i had to adjust when i changed.

Errrrr..... I really don't know what to say.... I've got two guitars that are short scale with 10's on and they're tight. I don't know what to suggest dude.....

Sorry.

I'll hang my head in shame and leave.
[
Quote by justinb904
Nothing you can do other than get thicker strings. .011's are pretty thick for a full scale(around 24-25.5 inches) guitar. I'm guessing you mean 3/4 scale buy "short scale."

normal scale length of fenders is around 25.5 and gibsons are 24.75 ish

mine is 24 so is a shorter scale, but not a 3/4

3/4 guitars are 22.5 inches

short scale is a pretty standard term?
perhaps the saddles on your guitar have been previously adjusted for a different tuning... the position of the saddle changes the length of the string, so i can only assume that different tensions would result from different saddle positions.
Quote by frigginjerk
perhaps the saddles on your guitar have been previously adjusted for a different tuning... the position of the saddle changes the length of the string, so i can only assume that different tensions would result from different saddle positions.

very very wrong assumption indeed. The saddle positioning ensures accurate intonation across all frets. Theoretically the 12th fret has to be the exact half way point between the saddle and the nut to make a perfect octave. but then you've gotta compensate for the fact you're gonna be stretching the string a little too, to push it down to the fretwire, so you need to shift the saddles around a little depending on the amount of stretch there'll be in each string and how much it will change the pitch. Obviously there's some hell of a load of physics involved in this but you're better off ignoring that and just adjusting them by ear (listening out for how accurate the octave is) or using a chromatic tuner. The saddle position has nothing to do with the tension of the strings.

I don't really know what to suggest though, regarding the tension of the strings, other than obviously going up to a higher gauge... To be honest, i would use .12s for a 24" scale, maybe even with a wound G.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp