I am not sure if this is the right thread, but i figured since it is "musician" talk you guys would have much more knowledge of classical guitar music then the other threads. If i am in the wrong thread, moderators please move me to the correct one.

I have an audition in march and this is what it wants me to do.

"Guitar
Segovia scales, major and minor; one etude by either Sor (Segovia edition), Carcassi or Aguado. Two concert pieces of the student's own choosing from either preBaroque (DeVisee, Sanz, Milan, etc.), Baroque (Bach, Weiss, etc.) or Romantic Spanish (Tarrega, Llobet)."

are there any pieces specifically that you recommend that would be ideal for the audition? thanks

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Pre-Baroque - John Dowland - Allemande ('My Lady Hunsdon's Pouffe"). A Renaissance piece in drop D. Seriously, beautiful piece, lively, and challenging without being brutal. A grade 8 piece here in Canada.

Baroque - JS Bach - Fourth Lute Suite. Again, lively, and a wonderful piece of music. Sounds very impressive. Parts of it are pretty easy. Parts are awfully difficult. A grade 10 piece, I believe. The first Cello Suite is also very nice and is easier.... roughly Grade 8, IIRC.

Romantic - (based on dates more than style) - Fernando Sor, Theme and Variations on Mozart's Magic Flute. Parts of it are easy. Parts of it are f**king brutal. It's worth it, though, to learn. It's fabulous. A grade 10 piece here.

I'll have to go back through my Sor studies, but you really can't lose with them. Some are quite easy. Some are just brutal. IIRC, #10, 18, 19, and 20 are crazy hard. The first few are easy. I'll have to check numbers for more specific recommendations. It's been a while.

Keep in mind that the level of difficulty should be a consideration in your choosing. Typically, these places want pieces of the calibre I suggested.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks i appreciate it i will look into those pieces, if anyone else has any other suggestions i would be grateful to hear them

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Play what you can connect to. If you perform a simple study with a good flow or feel it will communicate your musicianship more than a technically impressive one.
Quote by Shredworthy
Play what you can connect to. If you perform a simple study with a good flow or feel it will communicate your musicianship more than a technically impressive one.

+1

How much time do you have until you do this? You have a lot to learn if you are starting from zero on these pieces, so you might want to aim for simpler ones played better and musically rather than technically complex ones that are intended to impress but played mechanically.
Quote by rdsmith3
+1

How much time do you have until you do this? You have a lot to learn if you are starting from zero on these pieces, so you might want to aim for simpler ones played better and musically rather than technically complex ones that are intended to impress but played mechanically.

i was kinda thinking of playing technically complex ones that are played better and musically

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
i was kinda thinking of playing technically complex ones that are played better and musically

That is a great goal, but if you are starting from scratch and trying to learn three complex pieces by March 2010, plus memorize and master all the Segovia diatonic scales, you may be underestimating the time required to do this.
Yes, my suggestions were based on the supposition that he already had an established base to work with.

For someone with no existing background in classical guitar.... by March....Segovia scales, Sor studies and three advanced pieces. No way in hell.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.