What's your opinion on playing in a group that is actually a solo project basically...like local guy has his name as the bandname, his songs etc, but expects you to contribute to rehearsal fees and do legwork, but if anything happened and the band became successful you wouldnt have any stake in the band.

Would you consider this a 'session' position or would you happily do it if they music was good?
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
If it was a 'session' job then I would expect to be paid.

I might do it for free if it's fun / music is good but I wouldn't be putting up money myself for it. That seems a little weird if you ask me.

Everything here
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
certainly wouldn't be putting in my money if he was geting all the recognition
They think they know who I am....all they know is I love to kill.
It's a great way to get out there.

People who play with successful bands, solo or otherwise, tend to have tons more luck in "making it"

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Randy Rhoads

/thread

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
If it was a 'session' job then I would expect to be paid.

I might do it for free if it's fun / music is good but I wouldn't be putting up money myself for it. That seems a little weird if you ask me.

+1

Edit: ^ Rhoads had a lot of creative control with Ozzy. That said, if I was writing the songs and given credit, I guess I'd do it.
Last edited by Eminored at Jan 5, 2010,
I dunno man I woud at the moment just treat like a normal band session. Because you won't become to succesful so quickly if things start to look good then yes demand some payment if his names going all over it. And yes I think that musicians under a solo project are genrally session musicians.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Eminored
+1

Edit: ^ Rhoads had a lot of creative control with Ozzy. That said, if I was writing the songs and given credit, I guess I'd do it.

yeah but are you really gonna working all that out when you playing infront of 5 people and have zero recognition? chances are no.
Quote by El Hilliaro
Randy Rhoads

/thread

but ozzy osbourne wasn't just "some guy" it'd be completely different if TS said "oh by the way, the solo guy i'm playing with is robert plant/matt bellamy/bruce dickinson"

Also randy was relatively well known before he even got picked up by ozzy, he had 2 albums out and was full time gigging.

i would say +1 ninja slay human
Well, if it's like how Ozzy treats his members, getting them involved in the writing process and allowing them some maneuverability, then yes. Otherwise, it would depend.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I would definitely play as long as I didn't have to put any money in.

It wouldn't be a session job unless you were being payed.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
I would play in a band that was named after the bandleader, as long as I could contribute to the songs: writing my own parts and suggesting things. I would have no problem being in a band where one person wrote most of the music, as long as the rest of the band (including me) did a little bit, and got credit for it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by icaneatcatfood
If the price was right, hell yeah.

This. Not to mention the exposure it'd get you if they were fairly well-known. Even a well known local solo-artist would be great.
I've played drums for a solo project before. Basically, he wrote all the music, and then I played drums did some backing vocals and another guy did some harmonica/bass parts, while he played acoustic and sung. It was pretty standard, nothing special but great fun and he's a really good friend of mine. It was only for a handful of shows, so I didn't mind putting in for rehearsal time, and because he was a good friend I know I would've got credit had the project ever got that far. But it was never really intended to so it was just a laugh really. www.myspace.com/tomsingssongs I think it was, if anyone's interested.
i would and if and only if he/she gets famous i would sew for not getting any writing credit then make a crap load of money and profit from the albums and what not.

hehe taco

:stickpoke

I'd trust my instinct. You'd know if you were getting ripped off: playing music and contributing and getting no recognition, credit and thanks.

When it gets that way, confront the leader.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I like to write music anyway, so I'd rather go into it as a collaboration.

EDIT: I mean I'd have no problems if the leader was recognising, crediting and showed appreciation.
_________ __________________ _________

Quote by robertito696
I mounted a dildo onto one of my combat boots, now I can show him how much I love him instead of just saying it.

Quote by SteveHouse
EVERYBODY PANIC
Last edited by learnerlegend at Jan 5, 2010,
Basically if i was just some gun for hire w/ zero recognition no say whatsoever. Ie songs/lyrics hell no
Unless I was like lead guitarist that way I could get out there eaiser with my own band
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R