okay guys, im using a valveking 112.
if the amp is on and im not playing anything or i havent got my guitar plugged in, i get a small but noticeable pop pretty much exactly every second. there's no clock in my room and i dont think there's any wrist watch anywhere near my rig.

it's very quiet (but definitely still present) on my clean channel, and i could ignore it like that, but when i turn on my dist. pedal it gets louder.

can anyone tell me what it is/how to fix it?
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

try a different outlet...preferably in another room. Let us know if it still does it.
okay took it out of the room, still popping, pulled cable out of input, still popping.
turned down the reverb, and it was all but gone, literally had to put my ear next to the speaker to barely hear it, maxed the reverb and it was fairly loud. any ideas?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

i have absolutely no idea, this is my first tube amp, i have absolutely no experience in tinkering with amps.
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

I'm not sure either...I don't think it does. I'm confused as well...especially since the popping disappeared when the reverb was turned down...
The VK does not have a reverb tube. If it dropped that dramatically by lowering the reverb then the next step is to physically remove the 2 RCA cables going into reverb pan. That metal box on the bottom of the amp. While you are at it you can clean the contact points of cables and pan with contact cleaner and see if that helps.

Otherwise, it still could be a microphonic preamp tube. You can try replacing the reverb pan. After that, I guess I'd take it in because I don't know what else it would be if it is also not interference in your room.
so am im ok to run the amp with the red and white cables pulled out of the reverb box?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

ok so im after unplugging those two leads, but i havent turned on the amp yet as ive just noticed that the box covering the reverb circuits is only being held down with two screws, which are only partially screwed in but frickin hard to tighten/loosen. is this normal or is something going on here?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

Last edited by munkymanmatt at Jan 5, 2010,
ok i turned it on cause i thought about it and aside from maybe a bit of dust getting in there the box being loose wasnt all too worrying.

played without reverb, no problem, until i turned the reverb knob up, this time with the reverb still unplugged, and guess what happened? the popping came back and got progressively louder as i turned it further up and got quieter as i turned it down, as if i hadnt touched the reverb pan. does that mean its one of the tubes?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

yep

see if this helps. Also visit the Valveking thread which is currently on page 1 of this forum.

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.flv

because I'm guessing you do not have any spare preamp tubes laying around, all you can do is swap two of them and see what happens. V2 is directly under the speaker so I suggest swapping V1 and V3 and see what happens.

It helps if you can set your amp up on something Upside down. Don't worry, you are not going to shock yourself. Just don't stick anything in a tube socket except for a tube. Kind of like never stick a metal knife in a toaster.

Unless anyone has any other ideas
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 5, 2010,
im guessing the preamps are the 12ax7s?
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

yes, they are.

The 'key' on each socket faces forward toward the front of the amp on Valvekings. You'll notice the preamp tube is 'missing' a pin. That is where you line up to key on socket. It is always good to have a spare preamp tube(s) so I'd just go ahead an order a few as it is the only thing left that I can think of.

There are some pictures and such on page 1 of the VK thread.
okay so i changed the tubes, no effect. however i have brought it to my friend's house a few times and dont really remember it that well but i dont think it was popping, so im going to put it down to the power source for now.

thankyou all for your help!
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E