Can anyone name any good OD pedals with a very pronounced mid-hump or an adjustable midrange?

I use an ODs to boost for solos. The Treble Boost I currently have on my board does a great job with my Marshall but not so much the Mesas and I use the Mesas a lot more than the Marshall. Looking for a pedal with a good bump in the midrange to help the amp stand out.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Tube screamer, or one of it's many clones.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
dude...you still want something with those amps? xD

One of the best ODs out there is the Tube screamer.
Try checking that out.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by TheRectified
Can anyone name any good OD pedals with a very pronounced mid-hump or an adjustable midrange?

I use an ODs to boost for solos. The Treble Boost I currently have on my board does a great job with my Marshall but not so much the Mesas and I use the Mesas a lot more than the Marshall. Looking for a pedal with a good bump in the midrange to help the amp stand out.

You are rich, ask Mr MXR, MR Fulltone or MR Ibanez to build one custom for you
The maxon od9 I use has a mid range boost. I hear most of the tube screamer variations have this though.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by Kozlic
dude...you still want something with those amps? xD

One of the best ODs out there is the Tube screamer.
Try checking that out.

not even close. Honestly, there's so much false hype around these pedals when there are so many better ones out there. first off, they don't get a very good clean boost. there's always some grinf on there. I guarantee you thet if SRV used Boss SD1s on his pedal board instead of TS9s/TS808s, they'd be going for $400.

TS, maybe you should invest in an EQ instead.
Quote by henis
You are rich, ask Mr MXR, MR Fulltone or MR Ibanez to build one custom for you

"Mr. Dunlop built this wah for me. he did what he was told, so i didnt have to kill him."
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
not even close. Honestly, there's so much false hype around these pedals when there are so many better ones out there. first off, they don't get a very good clean boost. there's always some grinf on there. I guarantee you thet if SRV used Boss SD1s on his pedal board instead of TS9s/TS808s, they'd be going for $400.

TS, maybe you should invest in an EQ instead.

"Mr. Dunlop built this wah for me. he did what he was told, so i didnt have to kill him."

isn't OD to add the grind actually? that'S what I thought...
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
isn't OD to add the grind actually? that'S what I thought...

most good Ods should be able to clean up. when you run dirt into a dirty amp, it just sounds muddy and undefined. when you just just a boosted clean signal with no gain into the same amp, it will sound a lot clearer and focused.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Kozlic
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

I can't even tell you how much I just got owned by your signature.

On topic. Tubescreamer is pretty much the painfully obvious choice. I have a clone that I use to push my Rectifier.

That brings me to a question of my own, that I've often wondered. Everyone praises the OCD overdrive as one of the best overdrives on the market. They say it has extra harmonics or something, and that's always sounded cool to me (whether it's a gimmick or not).

But here's my question, it's advertised as just an overdrive, could it be used as a boost for an amp's dirty channel to add gain with satisfactory results?

If so, it might also be one for the guy above to consider.
I used to own a TS9, which I used with my HRD. I had SO much hope for it but never could "click" with it, so I exchanged it. Strangely enough, however, I am GASing for one again quite hard. Go figure, it must be the green paint or something. Also, Andy Aledort uses one through his Super Reverb at all the live shows I have seen him play, and it sounds awesome (so does his playing.) One pedal I have used before but not owned is the Fulltone Fuldrive 2 (the blue one.) This is an excellent pedal, offering both OD and Boost. I thing I am also GASing for one of these, as well. It is around $180 or so, but a very good pedal at that. Good luck.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by -Rane-
I can't even tell you how much I just got owned by your signature.

On topic. Tubescreamer is pretty much the painfully obvious choice. I have a clone that I use to push my Rectifier.

That brings me to a question of my own, that I've often wondered. Everyone praises the OCD overdrive as one of the best overdrives on the market. They say it has extra harmonics or something, and that's always sounded cool to me (whether it's a gimmick or not).

But here's my question, it's advertised as just an overdrive, could it be used as a boost for an amp's dirty channel to add gain with satisfactory results?

If so, it might also be one for the guy above to consider.

Totally.

Here is a couple vids from a thing we did over at HCAF...

Unboosted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrP1nMUyqXE

Boosted with OCD...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mLNmRTM6gA

And yes, that is me.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
I know the Tubescreamer has a lot of mids. I was hoping for more than that.

I love my mids.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by Jhachey22

In your opinion. But tons of people use/have used TS9s as a boost, so obviously some people like them. SRV used 13 gauge strings (or higher maybe? Don't remember) on a long-scale guitar, but you don't see too many people doing that.
Quote by CaptDin
In your opinion. But tons of people use/have used TS9s as a boost, so obviously some people like them. SRV used 13 gauge strings (or higher maybe? Don't remember) on a long-scale guitar, but you don't see too many people doing that.

I'm just sying that alot of those people are using it because it's a tube screamer. a lot of the TSs popularity lies with who used/who is using them. Honestly, would you buy a pedal from Ibanez if no one famous ever used it? I think a lot of people would pass Ibanez's pedals off as cheap catlogue filler if they weren't as hyped as they are. just my $0.02

Also: it's easy to throw a pedal on your board. comparing that to string gauge changes is slightly rediculous.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
I'm just sying that alot of those people are using it because it's a tube screamer. a lot of the TSs popularity lies with who used/who is using them. Honestly, would you buy a pedal from Ibanez if no one famous ever used it? I think a lot of people would pass Ibanez's pedals off as cheap catlogue filler if they weren't as hyped as they are. just my $0.02

Also: it's easy to throw a pedal on your board. comparing that to string gauge changes is slightly rediculous.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just saying that they are pretty decent pedals, even without the Keeley mod. A lot of metal-types like the extra grit it gives you anyways.
If you have the cash the Xotic RC booster might suit you, however a basic EQ pedal may work just as well for what you want.
An EQ pedal Infront of the amp.
Wouldn't an EQ not work real well unless it was in the loop?
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by TheRectified
Totally.

Here is a couple vids from a thing we did over at HCAF...

Unboosted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrP1nMUyqXE

Boosted with OCD...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mLNmRTM6gA

And yes, that is me.

Thanks! I may have to get one of those. :] Great videos, by the way. Awesome playing.

Also, EQs can be used both in front of the amp and in the loop. Some people recommend you have both. I guess their effect is different. If you want more mid range boost than a tubescreamer, it seems a graphic EQ pedal would be viable option, especially since you may find that you want more control than is available with a simple tone control. You might be able to find an overdrive with a three band eq.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hmC9T-gPk
Quote by TheRectified
Wouldn't an EQ not work real well unless it was in the loop?

it'll work fine as a solo boost. IIRC, Kerry F. King just runs his into his front end. you'd only want the EQ in the effects loop if you want to shape the preamp's sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
If you just want a mid-boost then perhaps an EQ might be a better choice.

But if you want an overdrive/boost then IMO nothing beats the Xotic BB+. It can do virtually any tone and sounds fantastic, tons of versatility.