I have a Dean Vendetta XM. It works great, except when I crank the gain on the amp. I get a high frequency hum that I believe is being caused by a ground loop.

What is most frustrating is that if I touch my finger to the potentiometers bare metal (which is on the ground plane of the guitar) the buzz goes away.

I took the guitar apart, and ran the wiring from the bridge pickup directly to the output jack, thinking maybe that was the cause, no luck there.

I can turn the tone control all the way off and this makes the buzz go away as well.

Any suggestions on other things to try?

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
I was acually going to give one of those to my daughter for Christmas, but because of the numerous poor reviews I've read about them I went with a Squier instead.
If you're that proficient as to be able to rewire the guitar, try a different pup.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Or a different amp
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
the hum goes away from the tone being down because the hum is above the range of freqs cut by the tone. in other words: normal.

it goes away when you touch grounded metal because your body becomes a sort of shield, picking up hum and sending it to ground. in other words: also normal.

almost all guitars are full of ground loops, wired that way from the factory.

what you need to do is shield and star-ground it. there's a link on page 1 of the wiring thread to guitarnuts.com which has a tutorial.
Already tried plugging the guitar directly into a microphone preamp, DI box, RP-255, or Valveking (separately of course) it still occurs, so Im 99 percent sure its guitar related.

The grounding was star grounded in the guitar, all the grounds were soldered to the casing of one of the potentiometers. I'll check that guitarnuts tutorial though.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Quote by tronester
I have a Dean Vendetta XM. It works great, except when I crank the gain on the amp. I get a high frequency hum that I believe is being caused by a ground loop.

What is most frustrating is that if I touch my finger to the potentiometers bare metal (which is on the ground plane of the guitar) the buzz goes away.

I took the guitar apart, and ran the wiring from the bridge pickup directly to the output jack, thinking maybe that was the cause, no luck there.

I can turn the tone control all the way off and this makes the buzz go away as well.

Any suggestions on other things to try?
Yeah. Make sure your bridge (not the bridge pickup) is grounded. If it is properly grounded, touching the strings will kill the buzz just like touching the metal of the potentiometers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by David Collins
What? Voted? I'm considered a regular now? I missed that one....

Jim is talking about the annual GB&C Awards. You were voted "best new user", congratulations! You can read results here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249145
Quote by cedricsmods
Jim is talking about the annual GB&C Awards. You were voted "best new user", congratulations! You can read results here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249145

I can't believe I didn't win Best Avatar

A much deserved accolade, Mr Collins.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 5, 2010,
As collins says there lots of sources of noise. The house I used to live in was built in 1948 there was no ground in the house to begin with somebody had run some 3 conductor wiring but didnt do much good without the ground rod out by th e power box. My amps would hum really bad put that ground in quiet as can be.

But as its a new lower end guitar hell even higher end guitars do it. They go cheaper and easier running a wire across the back of the pots. As jim says a star ground works really good. Adds alot of little individual ground wires but can kill the hum. Even my p90 equipped guitar is really quiet with proper shielding and star grounding.
Well the noise does not go away when I touch the strings, so I would suspect that the brige isnt grounded properly.

Im not quite sure how the Bridge is even grounded, I can't see it through the panel in the back of the guitar. I could ghetto rig it, and run a wire on the front of the bridge to one of the pots using a washer, but I'd like to do it the right way.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Quote by tronester
Well the noise does not go away when I touch the strings, so I would suspect that the brige isnt grounded properly.

Im not quite sure how the Bridge is even grounded, I can't see it through the panel in the back of the guitar. I could ghetto rig it, and run a wire on the front of the bridge to one of the pots using a washer, but I'd like to do it the right way.

I'm not sure what type of bridge is on the guitar but I'm assuming it's either a strat hardtail or a TOM.
Either way, one of the mounting screws will have a wire going to it. (wire will probably be in the bushing if it's a TOM)