-Hum/buzz noise coming from amp.

-Gets worse with more gain.

-Non-existent on clean channel.

-Happens when not playing AND when playing, but the hum sounds "crackly" when I am playing and solid when I'm not playing.

-Goes away when I mute with my tuner.

-Happens when guitar is unplugged, albeit NOT nearly as loud.

-Changes with tone of guitar and depending on what direction I face. If I switch the pickup selector to the middle and face a certain direction in my room it almost goes away, but I don't like to play like that all the time.

-Happens with every guitar I own.

-Happens with every amp I own.

I'm starting to narrow it down to a bad power socket. Is that possible?
Last edited by drewfromutah at Jan 5, 2010,
yeah its possible that its a bad ground the socket...or something else in the room if its doing it with multiple amps and guitars... (fluorescent lights, computer monitor, light dimmer switches, etc. can all cause hum). Try it in a different outlet in a different room and see if its still there.

Have you tried different cables? Remove all pedals from your signal chain, and try 2 different instrument cables between your guitar and amp, see if it still does it.
Quote by eyebanez333
yeah its possible that its a bad ground the socket...or something else in the room if its doing it with multiple amps and guitars... (fluorescent lights, computer monitor, light dimmer switches, etc. can all cause hum). Try it in a different outlet in a different room and see if its still there.

Have you tried different cables? Remove all pedals from your signal chain, and try 2 different instrument cables between your guitar and amp, see if it still does it.

I have 2 monitors, a computer, a tv, 6 lights and 2 dimmer switches going pretty much constantly so perhaps that's it. I have tried different cables and the problem still happens.

I basically just don't want to drop $130 on a Noise Suppressor if it's not really going to fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply!
for sure a bad ground. i plug into a power conditioner that i use for recording when using my amps and it always ensures stellar results when it comes to hum. if you don't want to spend $80, listen to eyebanez333.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Quote by drewfromutah

I basically just don't want to drop $130 on a Noise Suppressor if it's not really going to fix the problem.

noise suppressors kill the subtle touch of your tone which can be a real drag when you're trying to be really emotive with your playing. if you are EVER thinking about getting more serious and upgrading to rack gear, you will have to buy a power conditioner anyways.

i was choked to drop the $80 on it at first but it fixed my problem from the source. a noise suppressor is like taking advil.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Quote by drewfromutah
I have 2 monitors, a computer, a tv, 6 lights and 2 dimmer switches going pretty much constantly so perhaps that's it.

I'm willing to bet one of them is the culprit. I had the same problem with my computer monitors, I just moved to another outlet across the room and it went away.
Whats up men, maybe you should try the Noise Suppressor, you don't need to spend $130 i saw a few of this pedals on ebay around $50 or $60 in excellent condition.

Cheers men !
Quote by drewfromutah
I have 2 monitors, a computer, a tv, 6 lights and 2 dimmer switches going pretty much constantly so perhaps that's it. I have tried different cables and the problem still happens. !

Im thinking out of these, the most probable culprit would be the dimmer switches, as on most dimmer switches they make a small crackling noise when they are on if you listen to it (So maybe this could be interferring?). Also, if you have pedals, sometimes rearranging the order of them can make the noise go away.
Quote by Rutch
If it goes away when you mute your tuner, it's entirely in your pedal/cable chain.

This is true. But it could be something in your signal path 'picking up' noise from one of the things mentioned above.
Quote by Rutch
If it goes away when you mute your tuner, it's entirely in your pedal/cable chain.

It isn't. I've switched cables and gone straight from guitar to amp and get the same noise.

I just went and put it on high gain and played with my dimmer switch. As I move it up and down the tone of the buzz changes but doesn't really go away. Would disconnecting the dimmer entirely help it?