Page 1 of 2
If I has 3xJJ/Tesla ECC83 pre-amp tubes, and 2xJJ/Tesla Power Amp tubes. How much would either of these places charge to install these and bias?
what amp are you using?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
what amp are you using?

Jcm 900 DR.

Edit: Wait. they charge different based on the amp? Also, do they charge different based on what type of tube I want them to install? Thanks.
Last edited by modirnwarfare at Jan 5, 2010,
Not much help. Don't have either of those stores in my area but my traynor amp does constant biasing with the tubes on its own. Couldn't be happier with my traynor.
You could just phone and ask them. =/

Most people change tubes themselves, it's not difficult.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
What area of the country are you located? There may be a good amp tech in your area. I got the card of a local amp builder/tech at a show last month. You never know who is out there sometimes. This is in the CT/NY area, by the way. Not sure where you are. Good Luck.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by stykerwolf
It's deadly if you touch something linked to a capacitor or something else that needs to be discharged.

Let's introduce TS to a capacitor:

Don't touch!!
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by stykerwolf
It's deadly if you touch something linked to a capacitor or something else that needs to be discharged.

Yeah, I read that somewhere on these boards, I don't even want to risk anything.
I don't think I'd ever have GC or Sam Ash work on any of my gear. They probably overcharge and/or suck at it.
Quote by stykerwolf

Getting electrocuted while changing tubes would be kind of hard. To do it you’d have to take a screwdriver and jam it under a big assed capacitor on purpose, or stab into the transformer with the amp on or something. It’s not like an old television where there’s just crazy high voltage stuff just sticking out waiting to blow your head off.
Preamp tubes are plug and play, just pull them out and put new ones in.......

Craigslist/google search for a tech in your area, should be cheap to swap/bias the power tubes.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Keep in mind that GC may not even do the work there, they very well may just ship the amp along with a dozen or so others they've got laying around to a lowest-bidder tech.

Not cool, especially if there's a problem, because GC will just shrug and say sorry, wasn't us!
Either find out who they use, and give them a call, or find a local tech.
Either way will save you time, money, headaches, and you'll get far better service.

On to the tubes:
No, there's nothing dangerous about changing the tubes.

Don't poke around in there, don't stick anything except tubes into the tube sockets.
Just gently rock the tubes out, line up the pins, and gently rock the new ones in.
From that area of the chassis, you dont' have access to the big-boy caps. Safe.

Biasing, however, DOES require digging into the naughty bits, and your amp requires it when changing power tubes.

Best bang for your buck:
Buy all new tubes from someplace reputable online, change the preamp tubes on your own, take the power tubes to a local tech for re-bias.
lol no capcitor is going to hold it`s charge for more than 12 hours, just leave the amp unplugged from the mains, for a day then change the tubes yourself...you`ll need a bias probe btw....mundane tasks like this and setting up a guitar etc, you`ve gotta learn to do yourself...you`ll save loads and actually add to your beer and gear fund.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
lol no capcitor is going to hold it`s charge for more than 12 hours,

That's amazingly bad advice right there.
You might be right most days, but you only need to be wrong once!

Unless you yourself have discharged the filter caps and left a jumper, and/or measured directly that they are indeed discharged, ALWAYS assume they possess a full and lethal charge.

End. Of. Story.

But I repeat, no contact with any dangerous bits is needed for changing the tube.
Only biasing the tubes will put you near the caps.

Another alternative is, as you suggest, to use a tube-socket probe.
Last edited by Rutch at Jan 5, 2010,
Never let SA or GC do any tech work for you. Turn around times are insane and that is if you even get your gear back. SA actually "lost" a buddy's Silferface Bandmaster and just told him "Oh well".

Tubes aren't hard to change and there is really no risk of hurting yourself since you don't have to pull the chassis to get to them. But if you still don't want to do it, ask around and find a good tech.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
neither store does tech work like that in store. its all sourced out. just ask who the use and go directly to the repair guy. we may start doing it soon tho at sam ash store #18. if bob ever grabs a bias probe. $25 per half hour plus tubes...
Quote by jpnyc
Getting electrocuted while changing tubes would be kind of hard. To do it you’d have to take a screwdriver and jam it under a big assed capacitor on purpose, or stab into the transformer with the amp on or something. It’s not like an old television where there’s just crazy high voltage stuff just sticking out waiting to blow your head off.

Some amps need to be biased while turned on, not only touching a capacitor, but touching anything connected to one (may change some times) will shock you.

Also do note that the anode pin, number 3, is very close to the grid pins; 4 and 5. and not that far away from the cathode/suppressor grid at 8 and 1.
Just don't touch anything, it's the safest way to go.
if you don't have to pull out the amp chassis, then you're in no danger at all
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah, in order to manually bias a tube amp that does not have external bias trim pots you have to open the chassis and bias it with a screwdriver WHILE the amp is ON. Play guitar for a while, check bias again, repeat until it settles in. Dangerous.

So draining the caps by not playing for 12 hours is just wrong.

Just follow what Rutch said. You can change tubes on a 900 easily. Biasing for proper performance is something else.

Preamp tubes - as stated - is simple safe stuff. Not Dangerous.

PS: I didn't know Traynors could bias themselves.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 5, 2010,
Sorry to thread jack... but on the recto's, there is a bias switch on the back of it for 6L6's or EL34's. All I'd have to do is adjust the switch and I'll be good right? Or do I still need to bias them at a shop?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Juadafi
You could just phone and ask them. =/

Most people change tubes themselves, it's not difficult.

actually its very difficult. improperly biasing your tubes can royally **** you, and touching anything connected to a capacitor could kill you. definitely not a task to do at 3 in the morning while drunk.
Quote by JayT44
Sorry to thread jack... but on the recto's, there is a bias switch on the back of it for 6L6's or EL34's. All I'd have to do is adjust the switch and I'll be good right? Or do I still need to bias them at a shop?

you should still get them biased.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Quote by 2112swartz
you should still get them biased.

Not per Mesa.
So long as you use Mesa's recommended tubes, you can swap in and out at will with no bias worries.
In fact, there IS no bias "adjustment", other than actually swapping out the bias resistors.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
actually its very difficult. improperly biasing your tubes can royally **** you, and touching anything connected to a capacitor could kill you. definitely not a task to do at 3 in the morning while drunk.

For what it's worth, most guitar stuff requires electricity and a really hot pointy stick... i wouldn't reccomend doing anything guitar wise while drunk. or you'll end up doing something like this.

Thats right. it's a '59 Gibson Les Paul modified for left handed use. it's my life's goal to find an own this guitar, just to see the looks on people faces. and also for the fact that there's probably not a left handed '59 in existance.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
lol no capcitor is going to hold it`s charge for more than 12 hours

You, sir, are an idiot. Go away.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by gregs1020
a 59 what? seriously asking.

The LP RI year, I'm guessing. That'd put it at around $3500 at least.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by gregs1020
a 59 what? seriously asking.

Gibson Les Paul.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The LP RI year, I'm guessing. That'd put it at around $3500 at least.

no, sadly it's an actual '59.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
no, sadly it's an actual '59.

I wonder if the owner realizes he butchered an instrument that's probably more than his car?

never seen a paul with a top horn like that. looks a bit like my yamahas. its probably worth well over $3500.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I wonder if the owner realizes he butchered an instrument that's probably more than his car?

my guess is that he modded it sometime in the '60s, when they weren't as sought after/worth the GBP of africa.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by gregs1020
never seen a paul with a top horn like that. looks a bit like my yamahas. its probably worth well over $3500.

He's cut off the rounded upper part to make that horn. Only the finish is stock on that guitar.
Quote by Jhachey22
my guess is that he modded it sometime in the '60s, when they weren't as sought after/worth the GBP of africa.

I sincerely hope so.

Also, check your PMs.

Quote by Jhachey22
For what it's worth, most guitar stuff requires electricity and a really hot pointy stick... i wouldn't reccomend doing anything guitar wise while drunk. or you'll end up doing something like this.

Thats right. it's a '59 Gibson Les Paul modified for left handed use. it's my life's goal to find an own this guitar, just to see the looks on people faces. and also for the fact that there's probably not a left handed '59 in existance.

EUGH?!?! HWUH!?!?! GRUUH?!?1 AHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
EUGH?!?! HWUH!?!?! GRUUH?!?1 AHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

That's a pretty accurate representation of my reaction as well.

john macenrow has a lefty 59. its valued at about a half million smackers. its a goldtop.
Quote by gregs1020
john macenrow has a lefty 59. its valued at about a half million smackers. its a goldtop.

Like i neede another reason to hate him
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Change the preamp tubes yourself so the tech doesn't charge an extra $10-20 to do such a simple task.
Take it to the tech for biasing the power tubes though
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Jhachey22
Like i neede another reason to hate him

hes on the cover of guitar afficianado with it, interesting articals, but im in it for teh pronz.
Page 1 of 2