I don't know what you call this but the way i'm playing it

Is it's say 3rd fret on the low E then 5th fret on the D string so you similar to playing a powerchord but your 3rd finger is down an extra string

How do i mute that string in the middle? do i sorta lay my first finger on it? or do i use a free finger to mute it

The problem is when using my first finger or other finger i can still kinda hear a "tnk" from when i hit that string with the pick
use your first finger (the one on the 3rd fret of the low E) to mute the A string.
Its not a power chord, not even a chord for that mather. Both notes your playing are G, your playing 2 octaves.
ah cool, i know i was playing 2 octaves, but is there like a technical term for it?
Yes, what you're doing is right- lay your first finger across it.

The notes that you do let ring out should be loud enough so that the muted note isn't really noticable, but you're right, you will hear a slight noise.

It's just the way the guitar works, and shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Quote by DavidBenyamin
use your first finger (the one on the 3rd fret of the low E) to mute the A string.
Its not a power chord, not even a chord for that mather. Both notes your playing are G, your playing 2 octaves.

One octave. It's an interval of one octave.

Sorry, pedantic...
Quote by chainsawguitar
One octave. It's an interval of one octave.

Sorry, pedantic...

Yeah thats probably a better way of saying it:P
It's just called an octave, one up from the root.

To mute the string in between just lay your index finger flat enough so it mutes the string in between but arched enough so the bottom note rings out; you shouldn't need any other fingers to mute it.