Ok so im thinkin of buyin either a Marshall MG100DFX or the Line 6 Spider IV 75 and i would like some suggestions and perhaps comments on the gear if some of you guys own them i mainly play rock and metal
Right now im playing on a Falcon R221
oh god. i sense an mg bashing

but they are good for rock and metal. the contour has alot to do with the sound. remember that.
Last edited by sol-sob-on-pcp at Jan 5, 2010,
If you're not trolling......good luck

2 most hated amps on this forum - saying that, maybe we can recommend better. What kinda budget you got?
both are terrible...i'd take the MG of the two though. It's got a decent enough clean channel and you can get your dirt from a stompbox. I like nothing about the Spider series...

what is your budget? I gurantee you there is something better for your money, especially if you're willing to buy a used amp.
I'm guessing you have about $300-350 to spend? Try to save up some money and get a used B-52 AT112, or if you want portability and aren't gigging, a Fender Champ 600 or an Epiphone Valve Jr. with a decent Metal distortion pedal should get you in a decent range for what you want to play. I would suggest either a Hardwire Metal Distortion or an MXR Distortion+ depending on how heavy you want to get.
Out of those two I think the Spider is better especially for hard rock and metal. It has a butt-load of artist's and song based presets with the model you are talking about. The fact that you can add a FBV Shortboard Pedal later on to switch channels, banks, effects, and have an expression pedal for it is really cool for controlling all the modeling features it has to offer. I believe you can on get a regular channel switching foot controller for the MG series amps which is good but not as good as Line 6's offering. Good luck on making a decision!
i wanna know y everyone thinks the mg is so bad. i have one, its about 5 years old, and i can get a tone from ac/dc crunch to avenged sevenfold distortion. and the clean channel i can get a pretty good blues sound.
Last edited by sol-sob-on-pcp at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Terr
in dollars i have bout 500

I know that these things are praised to DEATH on this forum, but the Blackstar HT-5 sounds like it should be alright for you. I've played one, got a good Metal tone from it, turned down the gain and played some Cream and it sounded good. Very versatile, in your price range, small gigs are no problem, overall a good upgrade to what you have.
Quote by sol-sob-on-pcp
i wanna know y everyone thinks the mg is so bad. i have one, its about 5 years old, and i can get a tone from ac/dc crunch to avenged sevenfold distortion. and the clean channel i can get a pretty good blues sound.

I didn't say I thought it was bad. I just think the Spider IV 75 watter is better out of the two. I actually think the new MG's are quite nice and have been improved greatly. There is nothing wrong with them because they do what they are made to with a lot better reliability than some other solid state amps I know.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by phlip999
I know that these things are praised to DEATH on this forum, but the Blackstar HT-5 sounds like it should be alright for you. I've played one, got a good Metal tone from it, turned down the gain and played some Cream and it sounded good. Very versatile, in your price range, small gigs are no problem, overall a good upgrade to what you have.

If I were going to recommend some amp other than the two you asked about then this would have been my suggestion also. You hit the nail on the head with the Blackstar.
Quote by phlip999

This, Get the head and a 2x12 cab.
Quote by phlip999

I don't know what the used market is like in Lithuania...but I know if I had $500 here, there is no way in hell I'd spend it on the Ht-5. Overpriced for one...and two, it's not a metal amp. Sure it can get some metal tones...but its just not voiced for it. And we never figured out if the TS is planning to gig anytime soon. If so, the Ht-5 couldn't be a bigger waste of money.
Going to throw out another vote for the Blackstar HT-5. I love the thing every time I play it.

Edit:

Quote by eyebanez333
I don't know what the used market is like in Lithuania...but I know if I had $500 here, there is no way in hell I'd spend it on the Ht-5. Overpriced for one...and two, it's not a metal amp. Sure it can get some metal tones...but its just not voiced for it. And we never figured out if the TS is planning to gig anytime soon. If so, the Ht-5 couldn't be a bigger waste of money.

Although it's not really capable of EXTREME amounts of distortion on its own, it has plenty of gain on tap for most metal, and with a boost can hit just about everything else except the heaviest stuff. Plus if he was gigging his amp would be mic'd up anyway so volume wouldn't really matter.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Last edited by InfiniteRain at Jan 5, 2010,
^I realize that he will likely be mic'd at gigs...but I still think the HT-5 is a waste of money for anything but a practice amp.
Quote by Terr
What about Fender FM212R?

no don't do it, those are god awful amps it led to alot of beer being thrown at my band at a show and the deaths of at least 1,200 people. but seriously if you think you need alot to gig or whatever you don't, 50 watts SS and 15-30watts valve is more then enough, get a peavey bandit if you've played gigs better tone, better quality.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...