So I've been playing guitar for years, but I know next to nothing about the technical side of guitars, how they are built etc..
Anyway, So when I tune my guitar, certain strings are starting to go out of tune in a matter of seconds after I start playing right after tuning it, mainly the D and G strings, but the low E has also done it. I tuned my G string once, then bent a note on it, then played it open again, and it had gone slightly flat

Is my guitar seriously damaged? Or have I just put the strings on incorrectly?

Also, my guitar is an Ibanez S series with a ZR locking bridge, however I lost the parts for the locking nut and so am playing with the guitar unlocked at the nut, could this be contributing to the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by CaptainFlux
So I've been playing guitar for years, but I know next to nothing about the technical side of guitars, how they are built etc..
Anyway, So when I tune my guitar, certain strings are starting to go out of tune in a matter of seconds after I start playing right after tuning it, mainly the D and G strings, but the low E has also done it. I tuned my G string once, then bent a note on it, then played it open again, and it had gone slightly flat

Is my guitar seriously damaged? Or have I just put the strings on incorrectly?

Also, my guitar is an Ibanez S series with a ZR locking bridge, however I lost the parts for the locking nut and so am playing with the guitar unlocked at the nut, could this be contributing to the problem?

Thanks in advance.

100% your problem.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
100% your problem.

²
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
playing without a locking nut is probably your problem, look for a new nut or get some locking tuners
Quote by strat0blaster
100% your problem.

NO! Not really. You should check the spring tension. If those springs behind your guitar don't stretch easily, that's 1 issue. Also, are these new strings you just put on? New strings on any free floating trem system take about a week to set. Finally, don't do any Dimebag style tremolo stuff. Dime had his guitar specifically set up for that; if your guitar isn't set up correctly, do a lot of crazy trem stuff is BAD, in caps.
I should have mentioned, I don't use the trem for anything anymore (kinda regret buying a guitar with one but was hoping to play it as a regular guitar). So I don't do any dive bombs or anything like that. The strings are relatively old as well.

So should I invest in some new parts to screw in the nut?

p.s.
The intonation is fine, and is blocking the floating bridge really necessary, or even remotely useful if I am not using my trem?
Last edited by CaptainFlux at Jan 5, 2010,
change the strings then any if your not using the trem blocking it will increase the tuning stability and the added mass of the wooden block used to block the trem will improve sustain.

i use my trem all the time so have never blocked it but tons of peeps on here will be able to give you a step by step guide as it`s a common procedure.

also blocking the trem solves the nut issue as you are basically turning the guitar into a hard-tail.
Also check the tuners themselves! With no strings on them the nut that holds the post & tuner body should be snug.
Moving on.....