Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I know lots of these threads are probably lurking around but I need serious help.

I need to see if I should get the spider 3 or (4) 15w or the peavey vypyr 15w. What one should I get and why....?

Thanks guys.
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Vox Night Train + Avatar 212
Looking for pedals!
The Vypyr hands down...

i know there have been many threads like this one...with the same results.
Vypyr, great amp for the price...
Can't go wrong.
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
Go with the Vypyr. Why? Have you ever played a Spider?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Go with the Vypyr. Why? Have you ever played a Spider?

No haha what's better about the vypyr?

Better tone? Better effects?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
Hey guys. I know lots of these threads are probably lurking around but I need serious help.

I need to see if I should get the spider 3 or (4) 15w or the peavey vypyr 15w. What one should I get and why....?

Thanks guys.

If i had to say, you should go with the Vyper. Although, in your signature it says you want a new amp and pedals, so if you want pedals, don't get a modeling amp. Get a standard amp (I would vote a cheap tube combo) and get pedals afterwards. Nodeling amps aren't too friendly with pedals.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
^^What he said

Modeling amps + pedals aren't a good couple

I would suggest the Vypyr over the Spider if thats what you decide to do

However, a different amp would be much better (especially with handling pedals), you could save up for a used tube amp
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
If i had to say, you should go with the Vyper. Although, in your signature it says you want a new amp and pedals, so if you want pedals, don't get a modeling amp. Get a standard amp (I would vote a cheap tube combo) and get pedals afterwards. Nodeling amps aren't too friendly with pedals.

Yea but pedals are my second priority and I have a budget on amps.

But if were talking modeling amps.... vypyr is the one? And in what way?

Edit: I have a budget of 100 so what is a good tube? Even without a pedal?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
No haha what's better about the vypyr?

Better tone? Better effects?

Everything.
]
Quote by Gibson74

Save up for a tube, you aren't getting anything worth it at €100. Unless maybe a Blackheart Killer Ant.

Still isn't worth it as a main amp.
All I need is a practice amp because I play only at home and school. So nothing like a huge tube amp or something. I was just thinking of those. What about the Fender Frontman 25r?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
Yea but pedals are my second priority and I have a budget on amps.

But if were talking modeling amps.... vypyr is the one? And in what way?

Well, the Vyper just has better handling with the controls. And overall it sounds better. To go with a tube amp, on your budget for a good amp, if you could save a little more money you could get a Vox 4watt tube amp, which will be plenty loud. To go with a tube amp will be a bit more expensive, but would serve you better in time.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by Gibson74
All I need is a practice amp because I play only at home and school. So nothing like a huge tube amp or something. I was just thinking of those. What about the Fender Frontman 25r?

Frontman would be downgrading in my opinion.

Go with the Vypyr, however I would strongly suggest saving for a used tube, maybe a used Blackheart Little Giant combo. Great amp, 5 watts, and handles pedals great.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
with that small and budget there not much available in terms of tube amps so i'd stick with the peavey or this - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Rage-258-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481336 if this is anything like it's older brother the bandit its a great starter amp. but if i were you i'd save a bit get this - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-V5-5W-8-inch-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=502586
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I know that aha so vypyr?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Spider IV with the FBV footswitch since the Spider III 15 watter and the Vypyr 15 watter can't use their respective manufacturer's footswitches made for the upper models of those same amps. The Spider IV sounds better than the III and on par with the Vypyr but the Vypyr has better stomp box type effects in my opinion. I think metal music sounds better overall on the Line 6 while the Vypyr excels in the regular classic rock to rock genre. The Line 6 has better reported reliability in comparison to the Vypyr's numerous electronic malfunction reports but it does sound better with it's true analog effects as I stated before. This is only my opinion about the amps you asked about.

I do want to point out something else if you were also looking for some suggestions. I saw that Musician's Friend had the Vox Valvetronix VT15 at $169 rather than the $199 pricetag it did have. It is a hybrid type modeling amp in the same wattage that you are looking at and may fit your style better than those you asked about. It seems to be real reliable and has better hard rock sound overall than those you asked about. You can get and use a footswitch they make for it like you could with a Spider IV. The only thing the Spider does better against this one is that you can get a Line 6 footswitch that has an expression pedal. That is definately not a deal breaker here though!

Good Luck on making a decision!
Quote by Supermansdead81
Spider IV with the FBV footswitch since the Spider III 15 watter and the Vypyr 15 watter can't use their respective manufacturer's footswitches made for the upper models of those same amps. The Spider IV sounds better than the III and on par with the Vypyr but the Vypyr has better stomp box type effects in my opinion. I think metal music sounds better overall on the Line 6 while the Vypyr excels in the regular classic rock to rock genre. The Line 6 has better reported reliability in comparison to the Vypyr's numerous electronic malfunction reports but it does sound better with it's true analog effects as I stated before. This is only my opinion about the amps you asked about.

I do want to point out something else if you were also looking for some suggestions. I saw that Musician's Friend had the Vox Valvetronix VT15 at $169 rather than the $199 pricetag it did have. It is a hybrid type modeling amp in the same wattage that you are looking at and may fit your style better than those you asked about. It seems to be real reliable and has better hard rock sound overall than those you asked about. You can get and use a footswitch they make for it like you could with a Spider IV. The only thing the Spider does better against this one is that you can get a Line 6 footswitch that has an expression pedal. That is definately not a deal breaker here though!

Good Luck on making a decision!

Thanks alot! I will do some research on that amp.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Supermansdead81
The Spider IV sounds better then the III, but not better then the Vypyr.

The Vypyr exclels at classic rock and rock? Have you even tried a Vypyr? The Vypyr is the total opposite of what you desribed it. It excels at metal, and is decent at classic rock/rock. And you think the Spider is good at metal? If you like a trebly, digital metal sound then it's great at metal.

The Spider is a paper-weight. I hated it when I tried it. It sounded flat, digital, and un-inspiring. You can get a mediocre tone out of a Spider, but you can get a decent and playable tone out of a Vypyr. The Spider is not on par with the Vypyr, at all. They may be in the same league, and the Vypyr isn't miles ahead of the Spider, but the difference is still there.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
The Spider IV sounds better then the III, but not better then the Vypyr.

The Vypyr exclels at classic rock and rock? Have you even tried a Vypyr? The Vypyr is the total opposite of what you desribed it. It excels at metal, and is decent at classic rock/rock. And you think the Spider is good at metal? If you like a trebly, digital metal sound then it's great at metal.

The Spider is a paper-weight. I hated it when I tried it. It sounded flat, digital, and un-inspiring. You can get a mediocre tone out of a Spider, but you can get a decent and playable tone out of a Vypyr. The Spider is not on par with the Vypyr, at all. They may be in the same league, and the Vypyr isn't miles ahead of the Spider, but the difference is still there.

Again another example of why people don't like to post on these forums when asking questions. Why did you even quote me? Can you not read? Let me quote myself once again then since you missed what I said. Here it goes:

"This is only my opinion about the amps you asked about."

I believe this was the last sentence in that paragraph you quoted me from. I hate to hurt your feelings but I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks the Line 6 has a better metal distortion tone than the Vypyrs. Oh and guess what? This guy is going to have another differing opinion after he plays his choices. That is, if he does instead of ordering direct from a web dealer.
Vypyr, hands down.
you will regret getting a spider after about 2 weeks,
Vypyr has way better tone, IMO.
I'm not going to lecture you, and tell you to save for a great tube amp.
But it's something you'll want to do in the future.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
The problem is I have no amp at all. So I want a decent little peavey or vypyr...

What tube amps are there? And can you show them to me?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Supermansdead81
Again another example of why people don't like to post on these forums when asking questions. Why did you even quote me? Can you not read? Let me quote myself once again then since you missed what I said. Here it goes:

"This is only my opinion about the amps you asked about."

I believe this was the last sentence in that paragraph you quoted me from. I hate to hurt your feelings but I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks the Line 6 has a better metal distortion tone than the Vypyrs. Oh and guess what? This guy is going to have another differing opinion after he plays his choices. That is, if he does instead of ordering direct from a web dealer.
You didn't hurt my feelings, if anything you're sad that someone disagreed with you. I dis-agreed with your opinion, so I quoted you on it.

And trust me, out of the year I've been at UG, I don't know anyone except you and maybe 3-5 others that think the Spider's dist. sound is better then the Vypyrs. Look at this thread, or better yet, just search "Line 6 Spider", and you'll see what I mean.

To be honest, many jump on the bandwagon and say Spider's suck just to sound smart, but there's a reason why the bandwagon started in the first place.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
You didn't hurt my feelings, if anything you're sad that someone disagreed with you. I dis-agreed with your opinion, so I quoted you on it.

And trust me, out of the year I've been at UG, I don't know anyone except you and maybe 3-5 others that think the Spider's dist. sound is better then the Vypyrs. Look at this thread, or better yet, just search "Line 6 Spider", and you'll see what I mean.

To be honest, many jump on the bandwagon and say Spider's suck just to sound smart, but there's a reason why the bandwagon started in the first place.

I am going to agree with both of you guys... but stop fighting. This isn't a discussion to fight upon. I just want to know what is better. The stores here, the prices are too high so I don't want to buy from them. So I need to buy online I need to know what is better.

I play mostly classic rock AC/DC, Guns n roses, All those classic riffs and stuff and I also want to do other things like blues on my guitar and such.

Help me out here!
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Go to your local music store and try these out:

Peavey Vypyr 15

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77818

Vox Valvetronix VT15

http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/2271-vox_vt15_guitar_amplifier?page=3

Roland CUBE-15X

http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/1579-roland_cube15x_guitar_amplifier?page=2

Most will tell you to stay away from Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs, but try them out aswell, because whatever you buy it should be what sounds good to YOU.

When it comes to tone, tube amps are generally better than these modelling amps, but you want something with plenty of features if its your first amp, so you can play around and find the tones you like.

If i had to recommend one of the above it would be the VT15. Not just because i own (and love) its slightly bigger brother, but also because its the best in its class for rock.

Good luck!!
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by Gibson74
I am going to agree with both of you guys... but stop fighting. This isn't a discussion to fight upon. I just want to know what is better. The stores here, the prices are too high so I don't want to buy from them. So I need to buy online I need to know what is better.

I play mostly classic rock AC/DC, Guns n roses, All those classic riffs and stuff and I also want to do other things like blues on my guitar and such.

Help me out here!
I'm sorry for going off topic in your thread.

Go to the stores, and try them both. See what you like, and then order from the internet.

The Vypyr IMO is better then the Spider. The Spider like I said before sounds digital, flat, and worst of all un-inspiring for a guitarist.

EDIT: Just remembered, try to push for a Vox VT15. It's perfect for those genres you are playing, and is much better then the Vypyr in terms of classic rock/blues.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483551
Dude definitely try the Vox I told you about earlier for what you are wanting to play. It will definitely give you a better overall sound towards what you play plus you can add the footswitch at a later time like the Spider IV unlike the Vypyr 15 which sadly misses out on that point.

Watch out for the bandwagon thing on here like the guy said on his on that he's a part of. I know you are young but just remember that the guy that got mad at me for pointing out that my opinion was an opinion is only 13-14 years old himself. I'm 28 and have played as long as he's been alive and never said one was better than the other. I didn't bash one amp. I just pointed out what they had and were better at. The Line 6 does have a better metal distortion than the Vypyr but that's beside the point because the Vox will fit your styple better. I like different ones for different things including reliability factors. One may not sound better than the other if it quits working a week down the road. I'm not saying that it will happen but some have more tendency to do this than others.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Dude definitely try the Vox I told you about earlier for what you are wanting to play. It will definitely give you a better overall sound towards what you play plus you can add the footswitch at a later time like the Spider IV unlike the Vypyr 15 which sadly misses out on that point.

Watch out for the bandwagon thing on here like the guy said on his on that he's a part of. I know you are young but just remember that the guy that got mad at me for pointing out that my opinion was an opinion is only 13-14 years old himself. I'm 28 and have played as long as he's been alive and never said one was better than the other. I didn't bash one amp. I just pointed out what they had and were better at. The Line 6 does have a better metal distortion than the Vypyr but that's beside the point because the Vox will fit your styple better. I like different ones for different things including reliability factors. One may not sound better than the other if it quits working a week down the road. I'm not saying that it will happen but some have more tendency to do this than others.

Thanks man... Also thanks to everyone else for the advice. I want to see if I can push for this Vox but I'm not sure. It seems like everyone says it fits my style of classic rock and stuff like that. Thanks everyone. It's good to know all this.

How's everyone liking this Vox Vt15? A recommendation over all these?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
Thanks alot! I will do some research on that amp.
It's rare you will find anyone who claims a Spider (pick your version) sounds better than a Vypyr. If you compare them side by side feature wise you will probably find the Vypyr has more features. The Vypyr names it's amp models after real amps. The Vypyr has more simultaneous FX. If you look deeper you will most likely find the Vypyr exceeds the Spider in functionality and costs the same.

I recommend downloading each manual and doing a direct compare. If that doesn't convince you try then try both at the store.
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 5, 2010,
Thanks I'm looking at several now looks like this is going to be a big project aha.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Supermansdead81
Uh huh, I'm part of a bandwagon, when I dis-agree with your opinion. And it also makes me 13-14 too.

You are tone-deaf if you think the Spider has a better metal dist. then the Vypyr. The Vypyr is not made for classic rock/rock. It can do those genres, but it mainly excels at metal. You clearly have not tried a Vypyr.

Honestly, compare:

Line 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0N9Cbs6pY&feature=related

Peavey (I know it's tube but it still uses the same modelling technology)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXJNI922hs
I've never used a Spider but I have a Vypyr 15. I just took a look at the front panel of the $200 Spider IV and the FX functionality does not hold a candle to the Vypyr. Not even close.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Uh huh, I'm part of a bandwagon, when I dis-agree with your opinion. And it also makes me 13-14 too.

You are tone-deaf if you think the Spider has a better metal dist. then the Vypyr. The Vypyr is not made for classic rock/rock. It can do those genres, but it mainly excels at metal. You clearly have not tried a Vypyr.

Honestly, compare:

Line 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0N9Cbs6pY&feature=related

Peavey (I know it's tube but it still uses the same modelling technology)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXJNI922hs

No you are apart of a bandwagon because you said so in one of your earlier posts. lol and your profile is what gave you your age on here unless you lied on there. Dude you didn't just disagree with my opinion. You went as to far as to make the impression that people shouldn't like one over the other when they clearly do both ways. Some people like the line 6 and some like the peavey. I'm sorry life's like that but you'll learn as you grow but that might take a while.

Oh and to the other guy. The reason the Vypyr has real amp names on there is because those are amps that Peavey makes also so they can put the real names without copyright infringement. The ones they don't make they rename something else. You'll have to look at the manuel for that but the Vox is better anyways for what you want.
I didnt know pedals and the peavey vypyr didnt go well together? even on a clean tone?
Quote by fly135
I've never used a Spider but I have a Vypyr 15. I just took a look at the front panel of the $200 Spider IV and the FX functionality does not hold a candle to the Vypyr. Not even close.

The guy isn't even looking at those models. He's wanting to know about the 15 watt versions and that's why I told him about the footswitches differences and also told him about the Vox which just got discounted.

DIMEBAGLIVEDON - I never said the Vypyr couldn't do metal. I just said I thought the Spider IV had a better sounding metal distortion than the Vypyr.
Quote by Supermansdead81
No you are apart of a bandwagon because you said so in one of your earlier posts. lol and your profile is what gave you your age on here unless you lied on there. Dude you didn't just disagree with my opinion. You went as to far as to make the impression that people shouldn't like one over the other when they clearly do both ways. Some people like the line 6 and some like the peavey. I'm sorry life's like that but you'll learn as you grow but that might take a while.
I never said I was on a bandwagon.

"To be honest, many jump on the bandwagon and say Spider's suck just to sound smart, but there's a reason why the bandwagon started in the first place."

I never said I jump on the bandwagon. My profile is wrong, I just selected a random year because really I didn't care.

You're right. Most of the time there are usually two ways, such as how I hate the Peavey 6505, but like the Peavey XXX, while others are the exact opposite. However, in the Line 6/Peavey Vypyr example, there really is no two ways IMO. Like I said, out of the year I've been here, I've only seen you and maybe 3-5 others who liked the Line 6 Spider over a Peavey Vypyr. Everybody else clearly likes the Vypyr better, and while some may be on the bandwaggon, it's really the people's verdict.

It's like saying, what's better, a Marshall MG or a Mesa Mark V? Clearly there's a winner, correct? That's what I'm trying to get at. You may like the Spider, and fine, I'll respect that. I just can't see personally why you would want a Spider over a Vypyr, and say that the Spider is better at metal then the Vypyr. It just sounds stupid to me, and I'm sure many would agree with me.
Quote by Kid Lucas
I didnt know pedals and the peavey vypyr didnt go well together? even on a clean tone?
Pedals generally don't work well with modelling amps.

I've heard that they work decently on the clean channel, but I can't confirm that.
Quote by Gibson74
Thanks I'm looking at several now looks like this is going to be a big project aha.

I promise you whichever you go with will not even matter a year from now because you'll feel about the same with both of them. They are all modeling amps and do basically the same things. They give you clean tones and distortion tones light to metal. They all throw some effects in there but if you push your budget up then you get a lot better in that department with the Vypyr 30 than the 15. The 15 watt models are all about the same. The sound quality is lot more noticeable on the Vox. There's a reason for that and it costs just a little more because of the tech behind it. That's something else to think about plus like I said you have the option of adding a footswitch to it later on unlike the 15 watt model Vypyr.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I never said I was on a bandwagon.

"To be honest, many jump on the bandwagon and say Spider's suck just to sound smart, but there's a reason why the bandwagon started in the first place."

I never said I jump on the bandwagon. My profile is wrong, I just selected a random year because really I didn't care.

You're right. Most of the time there are usually two ways, such as how I hate the Peavey 6505, but like the Peavey XXX, while others are the exact opposite. However, in the Line 6/Peavey Vypyr example, there really is no two ways IMO. Like I said, out of the year I've been here, I've only seen you and maybe 3-5 others who liked the Line 6 Spider over a Peavey Vypyr. Everybody else clearly likes the Vypyr better, and while some may be on the bandwaggon, it's really the people's verdict.

It's like saying, what's better, a Marshall MG or a Mesa Mark V? Clearly there's a winner, correct? That's what I'm trying to get at. You may like the Spider, and fine, I'll respect that. I just can't see personally why you would want a Spider over a Vypyr, and say that the Spider is better at metal then the Vypyr. It just sounds stupid to me, and I'm sure many would agree with me.Pedals generally don't work well with modelling amps.

I've heard that they work decently on the clean channel, but I can't confirm that.

My whole point was that you didn't respect my opinion from the start and I told you that. I tried to drop some knowledge on this guy including what these amps could do with feature, footswitches, and my opinion of how they sounded and even including the Vox VT15 in there because it should be recognized.

I can't help you lied on your profile and that most people who start flaming stuff on here are all around the same age or just picked a random b-day like you so say. I never said I liked the Spider over the Vypyr or vice versa. I said I liked the Spider's metal distortion over the Vypyr's. Go back and check if you like. I'm actually thinking about buying a Tube Vypyr. I would get teh Spider for a 15 watt version because of the footswitch control over the Vypyr if they were the only 2 I could buy. The 15 and 30 watt Vypyrs are totally different animals in the effects setups.

How can you compare a Marshall MG to a Mesa Mark V and compare that to what we are talking about? Those are two totally different types of amps in tone and quality.

Pedals can be used with Vypyrs but some people think they don't sound good. That's also another case of personal taste.
I just thought i'd come in and say i'm 1 of the apparently 3-5 people that prefer the Spider to the Vypyr, just not a fan of the Vypyr at all. But, havin said that i dont like the Spider much either, just prefer it to the Vypyr.

TS i'd actually recommend you try out a Roland Cube if you can. It's mainly aimed at metal however ii feel i can get a decent tone for most styles, especially classic rock and metal though.

But if your set on a Spider or Vypyr my recommendation is the Spider. You said you want to order online cos the local stores are too expensive and thats why you need our opinions, thats fair enough. But why not just go to the stores, try out every amp that has been recommended (cube, Spider, Vypyr and VOX Vt) and then go home with your opinions of them all n order what ever 1 you prefer.

At the end of the day we can tell you our preferrences and argue amungst ourselves which is better but its a matter of opinion which is best, so you should try playing them all n make up your mind as to which you prefer.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Finally someone else made some since that this is opinion based also. I forgot about the Roland but you should definately look it up too. My vote goes for the Vox VT15 or the Spider 15w over the Vypyr.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Finally someone else made some since that this is opinion based also. I forgot about the Roland but you should definately look it up too. My vote goes for the Vox VT15 or the Spider 15w over the Vypyr.

+1 I'd definately agree to the VT15 over the Vypyr, for me it would be between the VT15 and the Cube 15X.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Page 1 of 2