Hey UGers i'm looking to trade in my Fender 25R for either a Line 6 Spider IV 30 or a Marshall MG30FX - 30 Watt Amp with Effects. I possibly might buy one of these amps online, so I just need your guys opinions if there worth trading in for my Fender 25R.

Here are the links to the two amps. Both amps cost $235 which is a great price for me.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6775/

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6797/
Why not go with something like a vox atc4 or epiphone valve junior?

What type of music are you playing?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
uh? have u tried the amps?
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
i have a line 6 spider III 120w and i love it. i love how it has all the pedals built into it.

the only thing that is bad but alright is the clean channel

i would highly recommend line 6 though
no one likes the tones, it all comes down to preference. and most would prefer not to have those amps.

i prefer vypyrs
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
Last edited by DGEdblad at Jan 5, 2010,
line 6 spider. You do not need anything over 10 watts with one of those if you're using it just for practice, they sound digital, and marshall is bad quality for price.

if you want effects, look at a Peavey Vypyr 30, Vox AD30VT, or a Roland Cube. it may help if you tried out the amps yourself too.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
wat other amps do u guys recommend under $300. i like playing classic rock. so i really don't need distortion.
Stay away from the Marshall MG series if you can. I have a Line 6 Spider II HD150 half stack and I love mine. I play thru a lot of the smaller Line 6 amps when I try guitars I really do not see how people can rag on them. They are just as good if not better than most SS amps. I absolutely hate Roland. Because they get recommended so much here on the UG I spent a weekend trying them out and not one I thought sounded better than a vintage AM transistor radio they are the only AMP I ever played thru that was worse than an MG. You might want to consider Peavey Vypyrs I have played thru those and they are good. I also tried some Raven amps I thought were pretty decent in that price range. OH! I tried a Kustom The Double Barrel amp I thought was really good. I didn't have much time with it but I plan on fooling with another next time I go back to the shop.

Line 6 amps are very versatile but you need to learn how to use it properly. Experiment with the settings remember every time you change the models you need to reset the settings. I get awesome tone out of mine and I use it all the time for gigging with out any trouble. Hell it fell out of the back of the truck one night and I thought for sure it was dead but aside from some damage to the tolex it was perfect.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 5, 2010,
go to your local guitar store and try a bunch of amps. you have to hear it for yourself, not just what we say.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
Last edited by DGEdblad at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by DGEdblad
go to your local guitar store and try a bunch of amps. you have to hear it for yourself, not just what we say.

That too! I usually always tell people to try guitars and amps out first.

John
Classic rock = Vox VT30!!

But yeah, you need to try as many amps in your price range as possible, then buy the one whose tone you think is the best. I loved how the Vox sounded, many people prefer Peavey Vypyrs or Line 6s, and theres nothing wrong with that, seriously. Its all about what YOU like.

A few years down the line, youll be wanting something better anyway...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
also, when trying amps, don't get to distracted by all the extrat bells and whistles. i love my vypyr but i only use 1/3 of the settings. just make sure it gets to tones you want. the effects are kinda like icing on the cake for me.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
Quote by HH_Emo_666
i have a line 6 spider III 120w and i love it. i love how it has all the pedals built into it.

the only thing that is bad but alright is the clean channel

i would highly recommend line 6 though

*facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk*
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Vox VT30
Fender Super Champ XD
Vox AC4
Roland Cube 30x
Used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Vibro Champ XD

All of those are 10 times better than the Spider or MG.
If you manage to read this post before the crazy flame war starts

I'd suggest you take down the names of ALL the amps suggested and try them at a shop. Everyone has opinions about what they think is great and what they think sucks.
But for YOUR purchase YOUR opinion is the only one that matters.

All I'm going to say is the Line 6 is a great practise amp, but I wouldn't recommend gigging with it (although with 30W SS I doubt you can get it loud enough for a school auditorium ) In my case it's great for bedroom playing and maybe a little screwing around outside the home.

When I bought it I was suckered into buying the 75W because the sales guy was telling me, the beginner, and my parents it was the best amp out at the time in my price range.

/sorta-rant

Basically try them out and pick what YOU think is best. There is most likely better amps for the money but the Spider IV is still a decent practise amp regardless of what the bandwagoners say.
your trading in a Fender 25R for a 30watt spider or mg?!?? thats just going from bad to worse! just save up and buy a small tube amp if you're upgrading or at least go for relatively decent solid state to tide you over until you can afford a bigger tube. Try out a Vox VT30 or Roland Cube 30.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Jet City Amplification JCA20 1x12 Half-Stack
Jet City Amplification JCA2112RC Combo

Trust me, shell out the additional $200, it'll be well worth it. Jet City's amps are designed by Mike Soldano, the head of Soldano Amplification, and they're all quite good. They're pretty bare no-frills amps, but god damn do they sound good. They're purely tube driven, with one channel, a master volume, a gain knob, a 3-band EQ, and the combo has reverb. The amps are all hand-built, which is a plus, and great for quality-control, usually.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Jan 5, 2010,
do yourself a favor and don't buy anything made buy line 6, amps are seriously horrible. stick to Marshall, Peavey, and Mesa.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
do yourself a favor and don't buy anything made buy line 6, amps are seriously horrible. stick to Marshall, Peavey, and Mesa.

A: Line 6 makes some great products. Other than the Spiders, they make good gear.
B: Because everything Marshall makes is gold, right?
the higher end marshall stuff is very good. the low end stuff is kind of crappy i will admit, i mean, marshall mgs might as well be the same thing as line 6 spiders.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana

TS: I would disregard handbanana's post. While all of those are good brands, you shouldn't be restricted exclusively to them, especially for classic rock, as they all specialize in high gain amps you would hear in hard rock and metal, and you won't find a good one in your price range. I still recommend a small tube amp, like the Jet City JCA2112RC, the JCA20, the Epiphone Valve Standard, a Blackstar HT-5, a Blackhart Little Giant, or an Orange Tiny Terror.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
obviously there are plenty of other quality brands, Orange, bugera, laney, etc. but based on what he was looking for, those brands are usually the easiest to find
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
But not anywhere close to the best option, as a good Mesa or Peavey is far out of his price range, and the only Marshall I could think of in his price range was the Haze, and these are all high-gain amplifiers we're talking about (except the Haze). Did you read the whole topic before replying? :|
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
I just wanna say thanks for all of your guys opinions. Also instead of me buying the line 6 spyder, I might buy a Roland Cube 30x or try out other amps at my local music store.
if you want a line 6, get a Flextone/Vetta/spidervalve.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by led_zeppelin_96
i'm looking to trade in my Fender 25R for either a Line 6 Spider IV 30 or a Marshall MG30FX

I call this a downgrade.

You sure you ain't a troll, honey?

Quote by led_zeppelin_96
I might buy a Roland Cube 30x or try out other amps at my local music store.

Smart kid, after all...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 7, 2010,
out of those two i would pick the marshall if ur doin classic rock, but i suggest u look into vox and peavy models
Quote by Alex Vik
Vox VT30
Fender Super Champ XD
Vox AC4
Roland Cube 30x
Used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Vibro Champ XD

All of those are 10 times better than the Spider or MG.

+1
Control your destiny.