I have a speed metal band and play the solos in the songs, however i only seem to play the scale or a asscending/descending pattern on it. I can sort of sweep and try to use the whammy bar but i need help on melodic solos! I anyones got any tips that would be great! Thanks
Quote by Speed-metal9000
I have a speed metal band and play the solos in the songs, however i only seem to play the scale or a asscending/descending pattern on it. I can sort of sweep and try to use the whammy bar but i need help on melodic solos! I anyones got any tips that would be great! Thanks

Idk dude just try and play with your heart, make the guitar speak for you.

Also, don't rely too much on technique.
Quote by Speed-metal9000

Learn some melodic solos
shred is gaudy music
As GuitarMunky said, Learn some melodic solos.

You can't just "shred" without practicing how to, just as you can't just play an amazing melodic solo without practicing how to.
Its worth practicing your scales in different sequences too - like play them in 3rds, 4ths, 6ths, and make up little 4 note sequences that you can move up and down the scale (ie play the same sequence but starting from each degree of the scale) - that way you're practicing things you can fall back on and use in a solo when you get stuck for inspiration, without just playing the scale up and down.
Omit notes from your scales widen the intervals, and experiment. Mix it up do wide stuff, then maybe some scalar legato stuff, and then maybe blues and pentatonic. Each approach sounds different and can be used to build a solo which can add interest. Also study call and response in improvisation.
Try to create a melody over the chords to complement the song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If there's a chord progression, or an implied progression, use notes from those chords in your solo.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)