Hey guys, just moved this thread as it was in the wrong forum! I made a music video for my band, footage was of a gig of ours and pick up shots were at a car park. (Both in Liverpool, UK).

This isn't band promotion, as our band is now no more :p

Would love to know what you think!!

www.youtube.com/user/jcrerar1

the music video is the 'TELEVATERS' etc etc etc on the right hand side!

(Oh and I'm the one with the les paul)

Cheers
nice

solar cymbals .the should be zyldian k customs lol
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Last edited by hans the lefty at Jan 5, 2010,
I'm going to go ahead and assume you are after some constructive criticism on this - rather than just a "that's awesome" or "I hate it".

Firstly, you have some really nice ideas in there and in general I like the feel of it, and it's well shot, but some of your cuts feel a little jumpy, especially between indoor & outdoor scenes. Also, it seems to change from black & white to colour completely randomly (not in the intro - that works really well, but throughout the rest of the song). This leaves a bit of a disjointed feel. Maybe try using some slightly longer (duration, not distance) shots during the slower sections & use the jump cuts when you get to the more instrumentally thicker sections (like the chorus for example) and increase their usage as the song goes on - leading to my next point.

Progression - many of the best music videos have some feel of progression through the video, not always something major but just a general feel. i didn't really pick up much of a progression in your video. This probably wasn't helped by the jumpyness, but try to tell some form of a story (even if its something small, like the singer getting more passionate through the song, and throwing the chair/jumping around etc as a climax). It'll keep the audience interested!

Finally - lighting in the outdoor shots is a bit inconsistent in places - e.g. just before the singer throws the chair at the wall it gets a little darker, then when he throws the chair it brightens up again. I guess this was just because it got darker as you were filming it, but if that was the case, you could try shooting that way and have it as a bit of a theme (again, progression) with the outdoor shots starting brighter & getting gradually darker through the video.

Overall though, it has the makings of a great video. As I said, it's well shot & contains some really nice ideas - it just needs to feel like it's going somewhere.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jan 5, 2010,
@ Sonny_sam:

Thank you so much for what is obviously a well educated opinion. Let me explain a few things:

First of all I entirely agree with pretty much everything you said. I was pretty much learning what the hell to do as I went along (never touched video or editing before, my forte is sound) and originally just had the live footage.

As I began editing I realised there was NO way I could make a music video with just the one set of live footage, so went out and shot the additional scenes with the singer in the graffiti laden car park. Every shot was improvised with the singer and while shooting experienced every known weather.

Torrential rain, blinding sunlight, SNOW and darkness as the day went on. I tried to colour correct the shots to get some kind of uniform but was an uphill struggle. In retrospect, better planning was needed. I made a conscious effort to keep the black and white colourings specific to certain shots and was purely a stylistic choice. The video has no overall 'theme' as it was basically just a edited together to attempt to follow the dynamic of the song. If I had more time with the planning and concept stages, I'm sure something would have been worked out.

But yeah, thanks very much for the constructive criticism, its very useful and I will certainly take it on board. I can tell you know what your talking about since you mentioned the lack of colouring continuity between some of the outside shots
No problem
Just something else to think about from your point of view in future - the 10 second rule (not the dropping food one:P). Try to keep your shots so that you roll the camera 10 seconds before the action begins (give the performer a hand drop cue in) and when the action has finished get them to stay in place for an additional 10 seconds. This just gives you more to edit with later, and you can get smoother transitions.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?