I want to upload an mp3 of me playing a cover song on my guitar, into my profile. My guitar is played over the actual song. Is that still copyright?
I mean, I don't own the song or anything. If it is copyright, how can I somehow upload it?

Thanks,
Mason
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Are you making money from it? Didn't think so.

I think the admins just want to keep people from uploading just the songs. If you are playing over it, I don't think they will care.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Technically yes. You are publicly displaying not only a copyrighted composition, but a copyrighted recording of that composition. Both have its own copyright protections. But practically, no one cares and I assume this site pays a fee to allow users to record covers.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It is technically copyright, but as said I don't think anyone would care, but the other thing is, It technically doesn't become copyrighted anymore if you change more than 7 notes in a row. thats what I was told in class.
just do the youtube trick, I DO NOT OWN THIS OR ANY PART OF IT, IT IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF BLAHBLAH RECORDS AND ITS BLAHBLAHERS and whatnot.
Ok, thanks guys ^^
I'll try uploading it now :P
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Nah, thats what I did in my profile song cover. I just made sure to play WELL over the song so you could hardly hear the original.

Oh and I guess labeling it as "Cover" would help too.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Last edited by yellowfrizbee at Jan 5, 2010,
We've had this asked in the past. You can't upload it on here if you play over the original song.

or at least that's how I remember the discussion going.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
We've had this asked in the past. You can't upload it on here if you play over the original song.

or at least that's how I remember the discussion going.
This ^

Nine WRONG replies until we got to a correct one.
This is why you don't ask newbie forum questions in the pit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SG_dave
if you change the original recording to a the degree where a new concept is brought in, it no longer falls under copyright, i think.

you playing over it is a new concept to the recording.

you'd be wrong, derivative works still fall under copyright, this is a HUGE issue within the remixing and sampling community.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you'd be wrong, derivative works still fall under copyright, this is a HUGE issue within the remixing and sampling community.

really?
well i don't know where i heard what i was going by. either way it doesn't affect me as i don't record