I am currently using 13-56 gauge strings on my Fender Stratocaster. I love the tone, but I hope I am not doing any long term damage to the guitar by using these strings... I do keep her tuned 1/2 step down. Any input would be appreciated.
13's on a strat? huh...weird thing.
Have you tried 10-52's? They work fine with me.
I never heard of anyone using 13's on a strat sorry.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Haha what kind of strat is it? I can't believe the strings fit in the nut tbh. With it tuned 1/2 a step down I think you should be alright, the tension on the neck should be ok.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Like VictorinoX said, SRV used 13-56 on his Strats. I do love the tone, and I have been playing the 13-56 strings for years now, so my fingers are used to them. If I play a guitar with lighter strings, Seems I always press them tyoo darn hard and it doesnt sound too good....
Quote by bagrm
Haha what kind of strat is it? I can't believe the strings fit in the nut tbh. With it tuned 1/2 a step down I think you should be alright, the tension on the neck should be ok.

This guitar is a 2006 Highway One. I love the vintage look and feel of the guitar. I had the nut re-done for the 13-56 strings, so fit is not an issue.
Oh nice. Yeah I wish I could play 13's to get that thick SRV tone on my strat but I don't have the chops for it lol.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Quote by bagrm
Oh nice. Yeah I wish I could play 13's to get that thick SRV tone on my strat but I don't have the chops for it lol.

At first I did'nt have the strength to play them well, but it came in time. I guess I don't have to worry about the tension, I was just curious if anyone ever had a problem using them. I'm glad, because I would hate to loose the tone...
As long as you have the trussrod and everything set-up properly it will be fine.
It won't hurt the guitar at all. Hell, SRV frequently went heavier than .13s and his guitars never imploded.
That's what I use, had it set up by a tech, it's also tuned to drop c.
In the Valley of Vung
It looks kind of weird to read this and see that heavy of a gauge on top and then the bottom being relatively skinny in comparison. I associate 13's with having like 65's or something on bottom. You must have had everything setup right from the start, so don't worry because you would've seen something already in the years you said you have used them. Have fun!