Noob question that needs to be answered.

Im looking on buying a vocal rig for my girlfriend so we can do live shows and have a nice practice rig to get a good sound out of.

What do we need to accomplish this? I'm a gear scrub when it comes to vocals Guitar is my main focus
well just get one of those PA sets I guess...
You need mics, cables, speakers and a mixer.
Speakers have to be active if you don't have a pre-amp.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Well, first you'll need a PA system. I would suggest a Yamaha STAGEPAS 300 portable system.

http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-STAGEPAS-300-Portable-PA-System-480818-i1145442.Music123

I've used this system in small venues and it works well and is very light and portable. Add a couple of speaker stands, mic stands, speaker and mic cables and a few Shure 58's..................and you'll be all set.
Look for a PA system package in your price range. If you're on budget then get a keyboard amp.
Pa system.

Mixer
Amp. Depending on your amp, you might have to resoder your speakon cable(s) if your bridging your amp. Remember, you want more power comming to the speaker. If the RMS is 400. You want 800 comming to it. You could be fine with 600 too.
Mains
Compressors
EQ's. 31 band!!
Mics. SM58!!!!!!!
about $100 for cable. Take care of your cables. XLR, 1/4. TRS. Speakon.

Dont buy shit. Use crown amps. Peavey mains or JBL mains.
You do NOT need subs if your just running vox through.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
I hate those PA packages. It really limits you in expansion and how loud it is.
If you plan on puting a band through the PA, those powerd mixers are absolute shit.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Quote by jc71corvette
Pa system.

Mixer
Amp. Depending on your amp, you might have to resoder your speakon cable(s) if your bridging your amp. Remember, you want more power comming to the speaker. If the RMS is 400. You want 800 comming to it. You could be fine with 600 too.
Mains
Compressors
EQ's. 31 band!!
Mics. SM58!!!!!!!
about $100 for cable. Take care of your cables. XLR, 1/4. TRS. Speakon.

Dont buy shit. Use crown amps. Peavey mains or JBL mains.
You do NOT need subs if your just running vox through.
If it helps I'm running a Bugera 6262-212 at the moment.

So from what I've absorbed I'm going to need a PA system and Monitors (obvious haha) and I plan on running into them eventually too.

SO

Mixer
Monitors
Shure SM58s
Compressors? (Could someone explain their purpose?)
31 Band EQ (I'm going to need to learn how to use this to my advantage)
Cables Stands

Sound about right?
Quote by Kozlic

Speakers have to be active if you don't have a pre-amp.

Careful.... all mics need preamps, but they'll be included in the mixer, so you don't need to worry about that.

Active speakers mean they have an amplifier built right into them. (not preamps....)

So, you either need:
mixer > power amp > speakers
powered mixer > speakers
or
mixer > powered speakers (ie. active speakers)

EQ is really useful for ringing out those pesky frequencies that are contributing to feedback.

Compressors.... at this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about. They're a lot of learning, and you'll create more problems than you solve at first. Add one of those later, once you figure out what you're doing with a basic setup, and once you figure out what you'll gain by using one.

On the other hand, compressors usually have noise gates built into them too, and are marketed as "dynamics processors." The advantage of a noise gate for vocals is that it kills any signal going to the mic when there is no singer, which can potentially help with feedback issues. Can... not necessarily "will."

If you can get a third speaker, set it up so you have two facing outwards to the audience (typically called the "mains"), and the third one (usually a wedge-shaped one that sits on the floor facing towards the singer) gets used as a monitor so the singer can hear him/herself. Even a single monitor makes a *world* of difference, and given the choice between spending money on a compressor or a monitor... I'd go for a monitor hands-down, any day of the week. No question.

CT

PS. Compressors limit the dynamic range of your content. It brings your quiet parts louder (which is usually a good thing for live performance when quiet things get drowned out). They also bring your loudest parts down to be more "in line" (with respect to volume, not time) with the rest of the content. It makes for a smoother listening experience. Some more expensive compressors (Drawmer, Avalon, Universal Audio.... into the thousands of dollars per channel) also add a 'fatness' to the sound by imparting their own tonal characteristics on the sound, but you won't get "that sound" out of budget gear.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What I got from the original post was this set-up was needed for a duo, just a guitar and vocals...........not a full band. Is that correct?
Quote by Niko_k
If it helps I'm running a Bugera 6262-212 at the moment.

So from what I've absorbed I'm going to need a PA system and Monitors (obvious haha) and I plan on running into them eventually too.

Wait a sec... what are you trying to achieve here? Surely, your 6262-212 is loud enough to get up over a drum kit in rehearsal or to play a small venue.

Is this PA going to be just for vocals, or do you expect to run a whole band through it? Running a whole band through a PA requires a whole other beast. Sure, your basic principles are the same, but a budget PA will not have the capacity to deal with a full band setup.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If its just vox you only need a powered mixer, speakers, mics, and cables. I don't know if they have inserts on them for TRS cable to hook up the EQ. The compressor is a great idea, but like the man said earlier, you should'nt need it at this stage. Its a very powerfull tool in the studio and live. But it can also hinder your sound if you do not know how to use it. I myself have not gotten the compressor all down pat. Im just running it at a 5:1 ratio with fast attack and slow release. Sorry I was getting off on a tanget there.

You should really think if you will be in a band later on. Because you need a different PA. I bought my PA knowing it would be used for practice. Im not in a band yet, but its set up and thats where I practice. I get awsome recording quality too. The PA is also good enough for a good sized bar. I just need to add subs to it and thats $1000 with the amp.

If you have any questions , AIM me. Hovi PB87
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate