I was wondering do any classical players know any easy-ish solo pieces. Preferable something that doesn't go wildly out into the thumb position.

Ive been playing suite 1 in g major by bach so far, at a slowed down pace.
Just some music to really push me outside my lessons were i mainly perfect technique.

Also what are some good strings for bowing. I find my ones don't grip no matter how i try as much as i would like. Maybe its the softer petz's rosin I'm using.

Thank you
Sam H
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I would suggest Bach's third cello suite bourree 1 and 2. that's what my bass teacher handed me the first day of lessons my first semester in college. its a fun piece to play.
You can also try Für Elise by Ludwig van Beethoven. Very fun to play! Easy song that everybody knows.
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410
I know fue elise already but thanks.

And ill be ordering the sheet music for his bourree, thanks fudger.

Do any of you know how difficult bottesini's concert for double bass in b-minor is?

It sounds amazing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 6, 2010,
Yeah no problem! i personally think I'd have a very hard time with that piece. it changes hand positions like crazy. its all over the place. i may see if i can get the sheet music to that and give it a shot. it looks likes I'd be tons of fun.

also take a look at Schumann's 3 fantasy pieces op. 73(don't quote me). it was one of the most beautiful pieces i've ever played. so much emotion.
Theirs another composer who's botencini or something i cant remember who wrote a duet for violin and Double bass. Its amazing. Or it might have been bottesini again. Hes one of favorites.

Just had a look at schumann's and very nice it was too, i might invest ijn a german bow just for that.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Theirs another composer who's botencini or something i cant remember who wrote a duet for violin and Double bass. Its amazing. Or it might have been bottesini again. Hes one of favorites.

Just had a look at schumann's and very nice it was too, i might invest in a german bow just for that.

Yeah its a very nice piece. so much emotion and feel. some of the parts are a tad tricky and took a while to get down but it was worth it.

also try Bach's 6th cello suite and Bach cello concerto in c minor

i'm cleaning my room looking for sheet music as i find more I'll keep you posted. lol
Thanks Very much so far, ill have to place an order somewhere for this music so it should keep going....
For a while anyway......
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul