hey guys, need some quick help here, here's pretty much what my humbucker's wiring looks like

ok so for some reason the white and the red are soldered together, and the bridge pickup that is currently wired on my guitar, which is a single coil has one black cable running to the volume, and one cable running to the selector switch. so how should I go about wiring the humbucker to work?
Why are you putting in a humbucker if the current pickup is a single coil? Also, the Seymour Duncan website has diagrams.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Why are you putting in a humbucker if the current pickup is a single coil? Also, the Seymour Duncan website has diagrams.

That's pretty much the reason why, because the current pickup is a single coil, I'm replacing the pickguard and adding a humbucker
If you're just adding the one humbucker look for Fat Strat wiring diagrams or HSS Wiring Diagrams. Otherwise you've got a HH Configuration or a HSH configuration.
well from my understanding, the white and red shouldn't be wired to anything, just taped off, the green goes to the volume, and the black goes to the pickup selector, is this correct?
Yes, unless you have a 5 way switch.
If black is the ground wire for the Duncan Designed, then switch it with the green.

If black is the ground wire for the Duncan Designed, then switch it with the green.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jan 5, 2010,
so according to that diagram, if I have a 5 way, which I do, its a strat style guitar, pretty much identical, I have to wire the white and red to the selector, and the green to the ground? I'll leave the black alone since I don't care for the tone knob.
ok maybe this would help you guys, to help me as you can see, I have the green wire soldered to the volume, and the black is to the pickup selector. the red and white are wired to nothing. obviously something is wrong here, I can't get any sound out of it.
Last edited by backlash92 at Jan 6, 2010,
Only as long as the humbucker is wired wrong. The key thing is that you wire the red and white wires to the switch. Do that. If that doesn't work, switch the green and black wires. If that doesn't work, find a tech and have them SHOW YOU how to fix it. This is not that hard assuming the tech knows what they're doing.

EDIT: There's an edit button for a reason. No double posting please.

Also, wiring the green to the back of the volume pot is not the same as wiring it to the pot. You've wired the signal to the ground, the ground to the pickup selector, and left the coil wire not attached to anything. Do what the diagram tells you.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jan 6, 2010,