Hi UGers

I'm the main composer of my band, wich is a metal band, but I love to listen other types of music too, such as pop, alternative rock, classical...

do you think it does a negative influence on writing br00tal metal music?

this is not a "should I listen to this?" thread, I will listen to the music I want no matter what you say, I just want to see your opinions
Nah, listening to music is great. Sometimes you'll hear a progression and riff, and your mind will say what if I changed it up here, added this, remove that. Other times it will get you thinking and you'll come up with a great sounding riff/progression.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
No it doesn't it will help make your metal more fully rounded musically instead of just 'RAAAAAAAWR'
Not at all..I am not the main composer but I write music for my band and I listen to the same stuff you do. So no i don't think it has a negative influence
Good metal actually has some musical backing. They would be more than just thrashing on strings. For that I typically enjoy more things like Symphonic Metal, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, etc. If your good, you will actually have something more in it then the same riff of a power chord.
Listen to whatever you like. You are probably noticing a lot of things in music that you can look into more and use. Find out different progressions outside of what your norm is. Don't tie your band down to the tags of being "Metal" and what genre you are. Play what you like, how you want it. I mean why be in a band when you are trying to conform to certain things. You should be in a band so you can do what you want with music... Just don't start a whole lawsuit like Coldplay did...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Opeth. That is all.

But no, having a large variety of musical tastes leads to great music. Never listen to anyone who says you can only get influenced by metal to write metal.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Mate, not at all! If anything, it'll only evolve your sound. If you hear something you like why not encorporate it into your own music?
Killing you for a smile
Quote by ThemBones

No, because, you need a wind-down period of some kind . Be it when you're playing, or just listening to music. I need to wind down with some acoustic stuff on a regular basis, or I start getting sloppy.
All music you listen to influences you, if you restrict yourself to one specific genre of music then your going to lack a broad base of influences which you need to write good and original music.

Listen to any good musician and they will list influences which span a range of genres and techniques.
Quote by ThemBones
Hi UGers

I'm the main composer of my band, wich is a metal band, but I love to listen other types of music too, such as pop, alternative rock, classical...

this is not a "should I listen to this?" thread, I will listen to the music I want no matter what you say, I just want to see your opinions

Why would it? People who compose don't only listen to one type of music. It's not like if you listen to Chet Atkins you're going to have country licks in your metal solos or anything.
I Have the same problems with my band. we all listen to very different music styles my drummer listens to alot of jazz and blues but also listens to metal
i personally listen to pretty much everything from classical, drum and bass and alternative right up to deathmetal. personally i belive that if anything it helped keep our music fresh and interesting with all the different influences. i would say that if you only listened to metal and wrote metal it could possibly just make your compositions a carbon copy of every other metal band out there. so dont stress just do what you gotta do.
Quote by griffRG7321
Why would it? People who compose don't only listen to one type of music. It's not like if you listen to Chet Atkins you're going to have country licks in your metal solos or anything.

that would be pretty awesome actually.
Quote by ThemBones
Hi UGers

how do you think neo classical metal came around? listening to different styles only hurts if you let it.

Quote by griffRG7321

i dunno doesnt zakk wylde and john 5 use country licks in their playing? they play some pretty heavy stuff. i dont see why it couldnt work.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 6, 2010,
I think it's good, at least you combine all those genres to metal RAAWWKKZZ~ lol