I am in need of a new amp. The amp would be mostly used for playing with my band. We play mostly punk rock and alternative rock style music. I also play a fair amount of metal for fun so this amp should be good for that to. I am mostly looking to get a stack, probably a half stack to begin with. For a head, I have around a 400 dollar budget (may be able to go up to 500 if really needed, but 400 is really ideal). And for the cab I have around a 300 dollar budget (would like it to be closer to the 200 dollar mark if possible, used is also fine!). Also, I would definetly go for something that comes in a package deal of the head and body together! What can you recommend for me?

Also, I've been looking at the Marshall MG4 Series MG100HFXRS and MG412ARS Half Stack (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG4-Series-MG100HFXRS-and-MG412ARS-Half-Stack?sku=501949&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=411432270). Is this a good amp/stack?

When threads like these involving MG anythings are made by people who have been registered with UG for more than 3 months, I have to wonder how they haven't heard the spew of hatred for these amps yet.

1) Are you willing to buy a used head as well?

2) Are you willing to save up for something much better?

3) Name of city of residence for craigslist scowering.

4) Is there a specific reason you prefer a stack over a combo? Let it be known you can save a little money by going the combo route sometimes. I ask because it's likely that $700 for a combo amp is likely to yield better results than a $400 for a head/$300 for a cab when buying used.
Last edited by Seref at Jan 5, 2010,
I'd avoid the MG if you're planning on gigging with it.

I'd suggest you get a Bugera 333XL or a used Peavey XXX combo. The 333XL is around $500 for the head and the Bugera cab's(if that's what you'd want ) are $200 for a 212 or $250 for a 412.

I'd look into going used first though, you can find some great deals. What is your nearest major city?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jan 5, 2010,
what is on your local craigslist?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Seref
When threads like these involving MG anythings are made by people who have been registered with UG for more than 3 months, I have to wonder how they haven't heard the spew of hatred for these amps yet.

1) Are you willing to buy a used head as well?

2) Are you willing to save up for something much better?

3) Name of city of residence for craigslist scowering.

4) Is there a specific reason you prefer a stack over a combo? Let it be known you can save a little money by going the combo route sometimes. I ask because it's likely that $700 for a combo amp is likely to yield better results than a $400 for a head/$300 for a cab when buying used.

This. $700 to one combo will get you 10x better quality than $400 to a head and $200- 300 for a cab.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I am willing to buy all used if needed
I could save up, but not anything over $1000 probably
I live in Williston, Vermont
you probably don't need a stack. get one if you want. here is something good in or about your price range.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/1520102980.html VHT Pitbull, 100 watts, $750

if you want a halfstack at that price, bugera is about all i can think of. 333/333xl/6262 etc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 6, 2010,
bugera 6262 combo or 333xl combo Or a bugera 1990 head and 2x12 cab. Also look into a valvking 1x12 or 2x12 although there not great they are decent especially used. Also look into the vypyr tube 60 or 120. I saw a peavey 6505 2x12 used for 599 the other day, also theres the new 6505 that will be back ordered for another month or 2. Hope some of these suggestions will help.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Try finding a used Carvin V3 and a 2x12 cab. And though $700 can get you an amazing combo, the 2x12 cab is nice to have (you don't have to just get combos from then on, heads are an option now), and the V3 is an amazing amp anyway.