Mkay, so I've sort of been wanting to do some soloing in the style that Sam Totman of Dragonforce. I can already do their rhythms just fine (find power chord, pick 16th notes, repeat), but I'm sort of looking to do some lead stuff like him. What little techniques would you suggest for me to try to do some of the licks he does? By the way if you don't like Dragonforce or Sam Totman, I would really appreciate if you just didn't comment this. I know they aren't amazing or God-like but they do have some cool stuff.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I'm not familiar with too much of the band but I am 100% positive that if you want to play Dragonforce leads you'll need to learn

Sweep picking
Tapping
Sweep tapping
legato

and most importantly alternate picking. Although I'm not sure if he uses alternate or economy.
Quote by yearzero
I'm not familiar with too much of the band but I am 100% positive that if you want to play Dragonforce leads you'll need to learn

Sweep picking
Tapping
Sweep tapping
legato

and most importantly alternate picking. Although I'm not sure if he uses alternate or economy.

Hmmm.... Well, I can tap just fine, and I can sweep pick decently, and I'm okay at legato... But I'm definitely going to have to get better on all of those
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Quote by yearzero

Sweep picking
Tapping
Sweep tapping
legato

Well actually to play like dragonforce, all you need to know is how to use an equalizer.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Well actually to play like dragonforce, all you need to know is how to use an equalizer.

Hmmmmm...........
"By the way if you don't like Dragonforce or Sam Totman, I would really appreciate if you just didn't comment this. "
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

I was looking at Valley of the Damned tab yesterday (It's going to be my huge project for 2010... scary :p), and by the looks of things if youre looking at lead work, judging by that song Sam has a more melodic style in soloing, whereas Herman's solos are an all out shred assault.

Either way I'd look at how they construct their melodies (intervals etc), and if you want to check out Power Quest's melodies in their early stuff (formed by Dragonforce's ex-keyboardist, Sam Totman played guest guitar for one album).

Remember to play everything slowly, and then build up speed (slowly!)
Quote by simpleben09
Hmmmmm...........

But he was right.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
But he was right.

Lies and false counsel spread by people who don't like them.

I've seen them live pretty recently (Download '09) and they were actually pretty good, not the same "Studioforce" I saw a few years ago (Download '07). Even when they were Studioforce... they still played the solos that are on those records and, quite frankly, some of that stuff is pretty crazy even if it's not quite up there with the standards of Petrucci, Vai, Govan, Satch and all the other shred crowd.

TS: I think Sam's style is much more based around having strong melody lines but it's also true that he has pretty solid picking technique and some skill with 3 string sweeps so you'll want to work on those things as a priority, eventually moving on to the things he uses a little less commonly like tapping across multiple strings and larger sweeps.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When you say you can sweep okey, i can barly see herman's hand in his vids when he sweeps, he's like a robot but better than a robot. And don't like the band that much hate sam but herman is good
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Lies and false counsel spread by people who don't like them.

I've seen them live pretty recently (Download '09) and they were actually pretty good, not the same "Studioforce" I saw a few years ago (Download '07). Even when they were Studioforce... they still played the solos that are on those records and, quite frankly, some of that stuff is pretty crazy even if it's not quite up there with the standards of Petrucci, Vai, Govan, Satch and all the other shred crowd.

TS: I think Sam's style is much more based around having strong melody lines but it's also true that he has pretty solid picking technique and some skill with 3 string sweeps so you'll want to work on those things as a priority, eventually moving on to the things he uses a little less commonly like tapping across multiple strings and larger sweeps.

Hmm... Well, as far as sweeping goes, I'm actually much much much better at 3 string sweeps as opposed to the larger ones, so I have a good idea of what I need to work on. Thank you to everyone who brought something useful to this thread, and a big "**** you" to those that didn't.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Hi!

I love DragonForce, and obviously enjoy Herman and Sam's technique. I've heard them say that Herman's solos are improvised, while Sam writes them down before he plays, which is why they are more melodic than Herman's.

Definitely work on your alternate picking. I too don't know if they use alternate or economy, so I'd say work on both. Sweep picking is very important, they use it a lot on their solos, same for tapping.

And remember: always slow it down. That's the key to success!

Hopefully you'll eventually manage to play their stuff, good luck!
Gear:

PRS SE Singlecut Trem Black
ProDrive Tube 30w Amp
Valencia CG-170 (acoustic)