Page 1 of 2
Ok, first I guess I should clarify psychedelic here. Psychedelic=/=stereotypical "trippy" shit. Psychedelic isn't just lava lamps and color effects. The way I mean it is something more subtle. In between the original meaning of perceiving a part of your mind you previously didn't recognize and retarded hippies drooling over a liquid light show, there's a meaning that we can all agree with for the sake of this thread at least. What I'm looking for is a visually pleasing movie with good music and a place for us to discuss our favourites. You don't have to be a hardcore psychonaut to contribute, just have some taste in style, or at least a favourite (serious) movie you like getting baked to. I'll start with my personal favourite and add more as I feel, a brief reason why I enjoy them, an obligatory wiki page, and at least a clip or two.

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Ok, this one is the zenith of all movies I've ever witnessed. To put into words everything about this movie would honestly waste your time, not because it's a bad movie by any means, but because so much of its content is conveyed through symbolism and the emotions that symbols all contain. In The Holy Mountain, Jodorowsky tackles whatever he wants. South American Colonialism? There's a scene for that. Religion? That's most of what the movie seems to be about. Hell, there's even a scene that lambastes the type of people who probably saw this film the most when it came out, the counterculture hanger-ons who require chemicals to feign an understanding of the serious ideas of the world. All of this is done with a sense of humour and ties up at the end with one of the best messages any movie on the subject can boil down to.

*Obligatory Wiki Page*

Theatrical Trailer

The Alchemist Scene (Warning: Fake Nudity)

The Conquest of Mexico (probably one of the most infamous scenes of the entire film, at least watch this)
I've heard of The Holy Mountain.

I like surrealism, especially in film. It's not exactly trippy as much as it is dream-like, or sometimes nightmare-like. My favorite is probably David Lynch's Eraserhead.
fantasia...

i dont get high, but it was like a trip sober...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Holy Katana
I've heard of The Holy Mountain.

I like surrealism, especially in film. It's not exactly trippy as much as it is dream-like, or sometimes nightmare-like. My favorite is probably David Lynch's Eraserhead.

go to video culture and get it. soon. and idk, i saw eraserhead and it just bored the shit out of me. last bit was nice though.

Quote by uk.mace
I think I speak for most people when I say: "what the fúck?"
Also, I don't think we're allowed even cartoon boobies.

movies should instill that what the **** feeling though! otherwise it didnt surprise you, and why did you watch it?

and what, renaissance art threads are out too?
The Science of Sleep w/ Gael Garcia Bernal.

The "dream" sequences are just great, then after a while when they start blurring with the reality it gets wierd. Plus the language jumps from french to english to spanish so it's got you feeling schizometric the entire time.
"movies should instill that what the **** feeling though! otherwise it didnt surprise you, and why did you watch it?"
Heh, I suppose so. I'm gonna have to try and watch The Holy Mountain now, just to see how that mexican circus thing fits in.
Also, the weirdness kinda reminded me of Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 series. Noice (Y)

Only thing I could focus on that wouldn't melt away, be duplicated or be obstructed by patterning. Sat through the whole thing and it felt like I watched an entire tv season. Great plot, subpar acting and dialogue (keeanu reeves **** yeah!), goddamn awesome!

In all seriousness:

Quote by uk.mace
"movies should instill that what the **** feeling though! otherwise it didnt surprise you, and why did you watch it?"
Heh, I suppose so. I'm gonna have to try and watch The Holy Mountain now, just to see how that mexican circus thing fits in.
Also, the weirdness kinda reminded me of Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 series. Noice (Y)

voyage 34?
Fear and loathing in las Vegas, or any planet earth episodes are my favorite to trip/get high to. Also avatar!!! The ****ing plants!
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Natural Born Killers

This.

and

waking life
a scanner darkly
mirrormask
doors movie
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Fear and Loathing needs to be mentioned. I feel like the more recent Willy Wonka adaptation did this and people didn't get it and that's why it wasn't very succesful.

The Truman Show wasn't like unrealistic but it still felt surreal to me somehow.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Anyone seen the "Across the Universe" movie?
A friend of mine made watch it, and I've got to say, it was pretty trippy..
American Beauty

Jacobs Ladder is kinda trippy.

Synechdoche, New York is all kinds of confusing, I recommend it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Tommy, the rock opera by The Who. There is a movie version that is pretty weird.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I cant believe nobody has said Fear and Loathing. so trippy.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by sticksause
Lost in Translation feels very surreal.

Excellent film. Would you guys consider A Clockwork Orange one?

I still need check out Fear and Loathing my friend recommended it.
Pink Floyd's The Wall. although thats bordering on stereotypical trippy shit.

also Jacobs Ladder (already been said) and Fight Club.

EDIT: yes A Clockwork Orange ^
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
I've been meaning to see Mulholland Drive, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard it's one of Lynch's best and most surreal films.
Quote by B4Dkarma
Pink Floyd's The Wall. although thats bordering on stereotypical trippy shit.

also Jacobs Ladder (already been said) and Fight Club.

EDIT: yes A Clockwork Orange ^

only because after that movie everyone tried to mimic the trippiness.
Not really what you're asking for, as it doesn't have any dialog and is all black and white, but the movie Begotten is really cool. It's a very interesting movie, actually.

Trailer
Clip
Quote by -heartbreaker-
2001: A Space Odyssey.

Visual splendor!

Definitely. It's visually very impressive, even after four decades.

Also, Kubrick pretty much said that he intended this film to affect the subconscious mind with the use of subliminal imagery, and indeed there's a lot of room for interpretation as to what certain things actually mean. Add that to the fact that it deals with themes that stimulate our imagination to begin with, you've got a great source for a philosophy session. With very trippy visuals to go with it.

A guy named Rob Ager has a very interesting analysis on youtube, but watch the film first.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
*facepalm*

why facepalm?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Alien, in space noone can hear you scream. Such an epic movie.

Also i-robot, had me sat in my place for about an hour afterwards, and it was just average sober.
Emilio Estevez made a movie a long time ago called Repo Man. It's kinda trippy, not like the Holy Mountain movie, but little things in the movie are pretty crazy. Like the food is all labeled food at the store and the drinks are labeled drink. Stuff like that. Its got a good sound track too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554AX4l1tmw
Last edited by drunkass at Jan 5, 2010,
the yellow submarine

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by Vennin
Anyone seen the "Across the Universe" movie?
A friend of mine made watch it, and I've got to say, it was pretty trippy..

You should read "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid test" it's about Ken Kesey (author of 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest') and the Merry pranksters, and Bono's character in that movie is actually directly based off him.

EDIT: on topic
Christmas on Mars
A Scanner darkly
the Wall
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by RHCP987123
I cant believe nobody has said Fear and Loathing. so trippy.

Not so much trippy for me but just engrossing. But normaly its not a good film.
Talking about fapping to films!!
Originally posted by Vader, Darth
Jabba did this one time when we were watching Gremlins...

It found it...disturbing.

Gearidge:
Laney AOR 50 Head
Laney Cab
BC Rich Mockingbird
Line 6 Spider 3
Page 1 of 2