So, I've been looking for a new amp to play rock and metal and I keep coming across this amp. Can anyone who owns this amp tell me what it's like to live with?

Thank you
don't.

go with the peavey vyper instead.

great for metal/rock.

you will thank me later.

I had a line 6 spider and they are awful.

but the vypers are very nice for theior price
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
don't.

go with the peavey vyper instead.

great for metal/rock.

you will thank me later.

I had a line 6 spider and they are awful.

but the vypers are very nice for theior price

can I +1,000,000 this please?

Thanks.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Just no. I won't even BEGIN to tell you what's wrong with those amps, because I'm pretty sure everything has been said somewhere in these forums at least 2,000,000 times each.
Just because Line 6 revamps the Spider series, doesn't make it any better. I got to try the new ones, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Spider III.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
^
xD
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Wow, okay maybe I wont be getting one of those then lol. Erm, so the peavy vyper what is that like?
search Bar!!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I know I will get killed for this, but I like Spiders. I have tried some Spider III's, and heard a friend's Spider IV, and it sounded good.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
*kills Zhuriel*

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
^agreed
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
is the 75w model of the peavy vyper worth the extra money? the only difference i see is the usb out for recording on the the 75, but is that really worth another £70?
its louder

how much is the 75watt?
and do you want shit loads of effects?
or just clean and distortion?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
i think i'm gonna get the 30w, anyone know where i can get the cable for recording?
Quote by Zhuriel
I know I will get killed for this, but I like Spiders. I have tried some Spider III's, and heard a friend's Spider IV, and it sounded good.

AT LAST SOMEBODY THAT'S ACTUALLY HEARD A SPIDER IV.

I'm absolutely fed up with the flaming of Line 6's new range of Spider amps. Most users of this forum started off with one of the previous line 6 amplifers, got fed up with the lack of volume and fizzy brootals and thus flame Line 6 Spiders regardless.

(EDIT: ^^ Mindless rant with lack of continuity!)

Now i'm not saying they are the best tone amps in the world, but the IV series produce a good useable tone across the board and make intuative practice amps. They are certainley now on par with the:

- Vox Valvetronix Series
- Roland Cube Series
- Peavey Vypyr

Personally i'd look at the Roland cube for metal, however don't overlook the IV spider just because of the general ill feeling against line 6 amps.

I've no idea why i'm sticking up for an amp, but i'm just fed up of people who assume that the IV series is as bad as the III series without even hearing it!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 6, 2010,
there should be a sticky for line 6 spiders explaining all about them...good points and bad points...that would thin the amount of threads considerably
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
Quote by Zosolin
there should be a sticky for line 6 spiders explaining all about them...good points and bad points...that would thin the amount of threads considerably

Agreed, but only allow reasoned and balanced reviews to be added. Otherwise it would be full of pubescent teenagers complaining they can't get brootals from a bullet strat and a maxed out, poorly eq'd 100w half stack or worse they'd flame an amp just because it's a trend.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Spider IVs sound just like the Spider IIIs, only they have more sounds to them. None of them I found are good, and I fiddled with it for a good 10 minutes.
Quote by Alex Vik
Spider IVs sound just like the Spider IIIs, only they have more sounds to them. None of them I found are good, and I fiddled with it for a good 10 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than practice and Jam amps but you must have terrible luck with fiddling to not find a passable tone in 10 minutes.

I think tone is very subjective but you can't deny they sound alot less fizzy than the Spider III's and the EQ shape remains the same regardless of volume?

I'm an all tube man and have some quality gear, and in comparison they sound terrible, but in their own range i think they are now strong competitors.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by unet
Are the Spider IV's as bad as the III's ?

The SPider II >>> Spider III, so i was curious.

I'd say the Spider IV are better than the Spider III series, so I'll guess they're on par with the Spider II again (though I've never had a chance to test a Spider II). What they've mainly fixed is what Madsalty said: Their sound now stays more or less the same when you turn up the volume.

Quote by Madsalty
I'm an all tube man and have some quality gear, and in comparison they sound terrible, but in their own range i think they are now strong competitors.

Yep, I'll also say that the Spiders are well suited in their price range. A Spider 30W just can't compete with a full stack amp. ;P
Tonally, I can just say that for me my Spider Jam (which is Spider IV generation) is on par with any other amp, because I like the sounds I get from it. I'd say that you can't discuss "tone" because it's so subjective. That's a thing that just has to be heard by everybody for himself.
Oh, and btw: "all tube"... your GT-8 has no tubes ;P Personally, I wouldn't like a tube amp, because my first impression of a tube amp was horrible (a friend has one which just sounds muddy... what may be "warm" for others) and because I wouldn't like to replace a tube all the time.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
Quote by 3-R4Z0R

Oh, and btw: "all tube"... your GT-8 has no tubes ;P Personally, I wouldn't like a tube amp, because my first impression of a tube amp was horrible (a friend has one which just sounds muddy... what may be "warm" for others) and because I wouldn't like to replace a tube all the time.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R

HAHA nice spot. I'm aware of this fact, perhaps my phrase should have been "My amplification chain is all tube" I've always used the GT-8 as an effects processor only, which handy as i can now run my effects in stereo with my AD5.

On another note when you play the 'right' tube amp, you'll understand what all the fuss is about. I will however say there are some SS amps out there that sounds Great! Namely the Marshall Mosfett Lead 100 and JC120.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 6, 2010,
I had a Spider IV hd150 stack, I thought it sounded cool and nice for the price and at low volumes, but I played it next to my friend's Valveking and it didnt compare. it didnt cut through as well and at volumes past 2-3 it had HURRENDOUS feedback dear god! Also this amp still has that buzziness "digital" sound that all the line 6 amps have. Heres a video showing the buzziness ov the amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYslxyj4Qwk

Although the Tone King isn't the BEST amp reviewer, you should be able to see how horrid line 6 modelling amps sound. I returned my line 6 after a week.

Some suggestions: Peavey XXX, JSX, or 6505+/5150II, Marshall JCM 900/800 series, Peavey Vypyr for budget, Peavey Valveking for a budget tube amp, Mesa Dual Rec if you really gots the cash.

Take care, make a smart choice
My Gear:
Peavey: 6505+
Bugera: 412h-bk
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser
ISP: Decimator
Morley: Bad Horsie II
Boss: Hm-2
Last edited by jonny6505+ at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by jonny6505+
[...] Heres a video showing the buzziness ov the amp [...]

Why he compares the Mesa Rectifier modeller of the Peavey to the Line6 Insane (not copying anything, it's Line6 special... and in fact *wants* to sound like that) I do not understand.
He should have compared it to the Metal channel, which is modelling a Mesa Dual Rectifier... and thus much less buzzy. Why he says that's modelling a Rectifier I do not understand either, he should have looked it up in the handbook, where it's written in black on white (I have that handbook here).
Edit: Forgot my quote from the handbook: "METAL: This Amp Model is based on the Mesa Dual Rectifier. For Spider III, we made careful enhancements to the classic tone. (...)"

I do not say that people should like the Insane channel, but I do say that if people argue, they should do that with true facts which could be researched soooo easily.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
Last edited by 3-R4Z0R at Jan 7, 2010,
Ok guys ive got pod farm and i want to know if the amps effects on it are actually what a line 6 spider sounds like.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
are you playing live? bedroom practice? rehearsals with drummer, etc? all of this will determine whether or not you want a spider/vypyr/cube/valvetronix, etc, etc

Spiders are great for what they are... smallish practice amps with a lot of effects. It's generally not going to be a gigging amp, but for bedroom practice it isn't bad. It's able to be played at a very low volume if that's important to you. Most tube amps will sound funny played that low, but most SS amps sound the same, only quieter.

I used to have a spider III 75W and it was loud enough to keep up with a drummer, but once you got it that loud it really started sounding like ass. I've never played a spider IV, so I can't comment on how they sound, but for a practice amp I would say the spider isn't TERRIBLE. They are cheap modellers with a lot of effects onboard. I'd reccomend going to GC and jamming on the spider, the vypyr, and the cube to see which you prefer. If you're just jamming in your bedroom it probably won't matter a whole hell of a lot which you go with, but the peavey generally has much better reviews. Again, I've never played a vypyr either. Get what fits your budget and sounds good to you. If you haven't played all that long I'd go with whatever is cheapest, as your ear for tone will probably change over time and you'll upgrade anyway.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^almost this

If I take out the mids a bit on my Spider Jam it sounds good when turned up loud, but then again if I turn it down again it sounds a bit muddy with the same settings. I've still got to use my Jam together with a drummer, but it was definitely possible with the 15W, though that wasn't really too great, since it's not that a SS amp sounds better when pushed.
I think forget the Spider obviously. I like the Vypyrs but still not a big fan. I really think you should get a Vox Valvetronix. They are really great little amps and for the price, you can't go wrong.
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Vox Night Train + Avatar 212
Looking for pedals!
I've got a Spider III cause i didn't know any better back then and now that i'm serious about guitar, this amp frustrates the hell out of me... i put so much work into my playing and get nothing back from my amp... luckly i'm getting close to enough money to get a new amp (JCM 2000 TSL 100 watt w/ 1960a cab)!!!
Guitars:
Squire Strat w/ Hot Rails
DIY "Suncaster"
Epiphone G-400
Jay Turser JT200D
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Ovation Balladeer
Jackson JS1 Dinky

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Behringer V-Tone GM108
Roland Cube 40
Quote by jonny6505+
Also this amp still has that buzziness "digital" sound that all the line 6 amps have. Heres a video showing the buzziness ov the amp:

Not true at all.

Flextone's and Vetta's are nothing like the Spider at all.
The spider may be ok (just) if you are using it at low levels but it is just a cheap and nasty toy that you play with when nobody is listening. Playing one loud in front of a crowd would be embarrassing and quite disrespectful of the audience. A Spider at a gig is like a monkey throwing crap at passers by at the zoo.
The Flextone and the Vetta are better amps for sure but they still don't stack up against a real amp. Miles ahead of a Spider sure but it's still a modeller and a pale imitation of the things it's modelling - esp when it comes to way it interacts with player dynamics. You can't beat the real thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Kid Lucas
my little brother unwrapped a spider amp on christmas morning

he cried

Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Tubes_269
i think i'm gonna get the 30w, anyone know where i can get the cable for recording?

Radio shack or Best Buy.
Quote by TunaFish
Ok guys ive got pod farm and i want to know if the amps effects on it are actually what a line 6 spider sounds like.

Can somebody answer this?
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by TunaFish
Can somebody answer this?

In theory yes, they're the same modellers.
In practise... almost, since the real amp has different parts that are used to amplify the sound modelled with those modellers. I bet you have different speakers than a Spider amp.
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
In theory yes, they're the same modellers.
In practise... almost, since the real amp has different parts that are used to amplify the sound modelled with those modellers. I bet you have different speakers than a Spider amp.

Hum i use the pod farm mostly for pc recordings but sometimes i connect it to my fender amp. I find the sound to digital, and if thats what a Spider amp sounds like them they really must suck. I mean, ive never played one before but the sound via line 6 p.farm isnt just "right". You can tell the difference when i use a pedal. Still, for recording and such it isnt bad at all, but still not the best.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Last edited by TunaFish at Mar 6, 2010,