Hey guys, I've been recording some tracks alone under the name 'The Finer Things Club' using a drum machine, a microkorg, and a chord organ. It's all recorded in my basement. I'm just trying to get some people to listen to it who aren't my friends so I can get an un-biased opinion. I also want to do some shows but I'm kind of a shy person and I dunno how well people will react to this. I assume my biggest influences would be Daniel Johnston and Casiotone For The Painfully Alone.

http://www.myspace.com/thefinerthingsclubmusic

thanks!
Last edited by Barack n Roll at Jan 10, 2010,
I'm sorry..there was nothing really grippy about it. Like...no interest grabber. And maybe you should turn up the recording volume on the mic so we could hear better and/or sing higher to maybe add a little....something to it...idk...just my thoughts. No hard feelings.
Quote by blake1221
I'm sorry..there was nothing really grippy about it. Like...no interest grabber. And maybe you should turn up the recording volume on the mic so we could hear better and/or sing higher to maybe add a little....something to it...idk...just my thoughts. No hard feelings.

I see.
I dunno, Im not really into that genre at all, but from a recording standpoint, the vocals need to be turned WAY up. Also, I agree with the other guy that maybe you could sing an octave higher or change the key so you can sing higher so it sounds higher energy
Quote by DanielSan34
I like your monotone/speaking style of singing it compliments the music well but the vocals definitely have to be turn up abit especially for riding shotgun in my car and I think your name is terrible :/ but Ill add you to my friends list next time im logged on to myspace if ya dont mind

The Finer Things Club is a reference to The Office. I don't if you watch the show but if you did you'd appreciate the name more.
The instrumental work is good, but as others have stated, I'm not a huge fan of the vocals. Perhaps you could find a partner and be part of a duo? MGMT style.

As far as your songwriting goes- work on creating good hooks. Some people associate hooks with mainstream music, and that's true to a point. But hooks also keep your listeners' attention. Unless you're going for a post-rock sound, of course. Your songwriting ability is there, but it needs time to grow and mature. But that's okay- you can't rush art.

If you'd check out some of my own music, I'd be delighted.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104375

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
The instrumental work is good, but as others have stated, I'm not a huge fan of the vocals. Perhaps you could find a partner and be part of a duo? MGMT style.

As far as your songwriting goes- work on creating good hooks. Some people associate hooks with mainstream music, and that's true to a point. But hooks also keep your listeners' attention. Unless you're going for a post-rock sound, of course. Your songwriting ability is there, but it needs time to grow and mature. But that's okay- you can't rush art.

If you'd check out some of my own music, I'd be delighted.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104375

Thanks for the comment, I've never been too fond of MGMT, and that's what your comparing me to then you've the wrong idea :P I understand my music might not have hooks, and I know no one likes it, but I kind of like what I've got going.
Last edited by Barack n Roll at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Barack n Roll
Thanks for the comment, I've never been too fond of MGMT, and that's what your comparing me to then you've the wrong idea :P I understand my music might not have hooks, and I know no one likes it, but I kind of like what I've got going.

Nah, I was just saying that MGMT are (somewhat) electronic, and is a duo. That's all.

Believe it or not though, I do quite like your music. You don't hear stuff like this all the time, and it's refreshing.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
1. More variation. It's very repetitive and it's definitely not flashy enough to get away with it.
2. Singing is awful. You sounded so bored it instantly killed any interest I had in listening to the rest of the songs. There's difference between monotone and dull.

It's definitely a start though, good luck.
Quote by Zycho
1. More variation. It's very repetitive and it's definitely not flashy enough to get away with it.
2. Singing is awful. You sounded so bored it instantly killed any interest I had in listening to the rest of the songs. There's difference between monotone and dull.

It's definitely a start though, good luck.

Thanks for the comment/criticism but it's not supposed to be flashy music. Also there is almost no difference between monotone or dull:

Main Entry: mono·tone
Pronunciation: \ˈmä-nə-ˌtōn\
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek monotonos monotonous
Date: 1644
1 : a succession of syllables, words, or sentences in one unvaried key or pitch
2 : a single unvaried musical tone
3 : a tedious sameness or reiteration
4 : a person unable to produce or to distinguish between musical intervals

I hope i'm not being defensive, your just stating what you think and thats cool.
I actually loved it.

Not because it as musically brilliant, but it was quirky.
Call me Justin.
Quote by Flight_Of
I actually loved it.

Not because it as musically brilliant, but it was quirky.

Thanks
Quote by Barack n Roll
Thanks for the comment/criticism but it's not supposed to be flashy music. Also there is almost no difference between monotone or dull:

Main Entry: mono·tone
Pronunciation: \ˈmä-nə-ˌtōn\
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek monotonos monotonous
Date: 1644
1 : a succession of syllables, words, or sentences in one unvaried key or pitch
2 : a single unvaried musical tone
3 : a tedious sameness or reiteration
4 : a person unable to produce or to distinguish between musical intervals

I hope i'm not being defensive, your just stating what you think and thats cool.

It's definitely coming off as defensive when you feel the need to post a dictionary definition but hey there's always going to be a certain amount of defensiveness when it comes to your music. It shows you give a shit.

Anyways, I guess I'll fire back with the definition of dull:

dull [duhl]
–adjective
1. not sharp; blunt: a dull knife.
2. causing boredom; tedious; uninteresting: a dull sermon.
3. not lively or spirited; listless.
4. not bright, intense, or clear; dim: a dull day; a dull sound.
5. having very little depth of color; lacking in richness or intensity of color.
6. slow in motion or action; not brisk; sluggish: a dull day in the stock market.
7. mentally slow; lacking brightness of mind; somewhat stupid; obtuse.
8. lacking keenness of perception in the senses or feelings; insensible; unfeeling.
9. not intense or acute: a dull pain.

Monotone does not inherently mean dull (boring, uninteresting, etc), obviously. The vocals are dull because there's just nothing to them. It sounds like you were reciting something that was memorized as a chore. If you're going to bother putting vocals in at least put some amount of effort into it. If vocals just aren't really your thing than I'd say go instrumental or find someone who can do it better for you.

As an example I'd say take a look at Cake. The singer often takes a monotone, speaking approach to his vocals. I'd say they're most certainly not dull.
hey man, since you're from ontario you're guaranteed indie fame. Personally i think if you sung higher people would compare you to death cab/postal service. Not sure if you consider that a good thing or a bad thing. Your voice in I'm Destined For Greater Things reminded me quite a bit of Kevin Barnes from of Montreal. Since im a fan of him/them i automatically liked that track

If you improved things that are easily improved, i would greatly enjoy your album for the first few listens, but there really isnt any substance to the track, once the weird 'i relate because i'm an indie kid who also records in his basement' effect wears off i would become disinterested. You should work on more interesting drum beats for your songs and work on mixing a little bit more. The simplicity is pretty cool though.

Your voice definitely needs work, you probably put the volume of your vocals lower because of that, and that helps a bit, but if you just practice hitting notes and singing your melodies you will get better.

Also, you do seem to be getting really defensive. That first post was pretty harsh, but you've got to remember that this isnt the pit and any criticism is meant to be constructive. Too bad you live in canada instead of ohio, i would love to jam with you
Quote by paul banks
hey man, since you're from ontario you're guaranteed indie fame. Personally i think if you sung higher people would compare you to death cab/postal service. Not sure if you consider that a good thing or a bad thing. Your voice in I'm Destined For Greater Things reminded me quite a bit of Kevin Barnes from of Montreal. Since im a fan of him/them i automatically liked that track

If you improved things that are easily improved, i would greatly enjoy your album for the first few listens, but there really isnt any substance to the track, once the weird 'i relate because i'm an indie kid who also records in his basement' effect wears off i would become disinterested. You should work on more interesting drum beats for your songs and work on mixing a little bit more. The simplicity is pretty cool though.

Your voice definitely needs work, you probably put the volume of your vocals lower because of that, and that helps a bit, but if you just practice hitting notes and singing your melodies you will get better.

Also, you do seem to be getting really defensive. That first post was pretty harsh, but you've got to remember that this isnt the pit and any criticism is meant to be constructive. Too bad you live in canada instead of ohio, i would love to jam with you

Thanks for the comment man

I see what you're getting at, i tried to keep my vocals down to hide the fact that I'm an awful singer, I hate the sound of my own voice , so by keeping it low I don't feel so bad about it. I think if I cranked the volume of my voice a little bit (or a lot haha), so you could hear the lyrics it would hold more value, I work hard on my lyrics, which is kind of spoiled by the fact that my voice is too quiet.

Am I the only one who doesn't like my voice singing?
also, all this time i've been recording my vocals/keyboard/drum beat all at the same time, is it better to record vocals seperately?
Quote by Barack n Roll
also, all this time i've been recording my vocals/keyboard/drum beat all at the same time, is it better to record vocals seperately?

Essentially, yes.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
cool beans.

I planned on recording some new material tommorow, however I think i'm gonna re-record both tracks with louder vocals instead.
tons of people don't like their singing voice. John Lennon is a prominent example. you already have decent demo quality, so the only thing that would benefit from recording separately is your vocals. you could concentrate more on hitting the intended notes. also, try getting together with a drummer. if you dont think you're ready for people to get invovled with your songs, aim low in the skill level you're looking for. your songs would work with some very simplistic 8beats, so you dont need a jon theodore, but with another person you might have mroe ideas spring up as you play through your songs
I re-recorded 'Riding Shotgun' with louder vocals, and I'm gonna re-record thew other track with louder vocals soon, what do you guys thing?